Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Desmond Ford and Related Views  (Read 44604 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: Dr. Desmond Ford and Related Views
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »

Here is the second point. Here's an email I received in August 2002.

was not very nice and answered very curtly, "Bully for you!"

"So Warwick looked for an opportunity during the afternoon and was able to go up to Dr Ford and tell him that he could produce forty scientists who believe in a literal creation of six days. Warwick said, Ford was not very nice and answered very curtly, 'Bully for you!' "

Is it true that Ford has rejected the biblical account of Creation? Has he promoted seminars that have done so? If so, then more than just Adventists who still believe in the investigative judgment would agree that he is leading people down the wrong road. According to the above, Warwick would agree.

I know very little about Desmond Ford,but this is again something that has proven it best to hear both sides before taken to the bank as gospel.
But it might be closer to home to ask if  SDA's are leading many down the wrong road, by their behaviour and nasty or condescending elitist attitude.

edited to remove unnecessary quotes
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:54:11 AM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Eduard

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »

Eduard,

Let's see if we can come to some sort of conclusion regarding yom. Do you agree that it is rightly transalted "year" and "yearly" in a number of places in the OT?

As far as Heb. 9 goes, my reading of that passage required that "first tabernacle" mean Holy Place. So where do you see the difficulty lying?

Sorry for the typo regarding "principle."

Bob,

As I said before, in some biblical passages there may be a relationship between "day" and "year." You understand that I would have to see the Biblical passages you might refer to before I conclude whether or not there is indeed a relationship between the two terms. Still, you cannot produce more than a dozen examples of such kind AT ITS MOST! There are more than other 4000 instances of "day" and "year" in the Bible where the "year-day equation" or "rule" does not apply.

I repeat, a "principle," or "rule" is a generalization. In English, for instance, most verbs add the suffix [-ad] or an allophone of the suffix (a variant) in order to form the past participle. Out of the thousands of verbs in English only a small group (irregular verbs) do not follow this linguistic/morphological rule. The overwhelming majority follows this morphological rule, but around 150 of all the English verbs do not follow the rule. The majority follows the rule, while a small group makes an exception to the rule.

This is definitely not the case with the claimed "year-day" principle. As I said before (forgive my redundancy), there are MAYBE 10 or less textual instances in the Bible where there is a relationship between "day" and "year." In all the other 4000 instances the "year-day equation" does not apply. It is clear that the 10 instances in which the "rule" seems to apply are the exception, while the 4000 instances in which the "rule" does not apply are the majority. The conclusion which results from data analysis indicates without doubt that the "year-day principle" is not a linguistic  rule, but a convenience applied arbitrarily in order to bend some Bible text towards a preferred reading. This is what we call Bible "eisegesis." Most of the theological conclusions which are at the foundation of the SDA beliefs have been obtained through eisegesis, not exegesis.

If you don't want to be confused with the facts, ignore what wrote.

Eduard

Eduard

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »

In my view, the first tabernacle of Heb. 9:6 corresponds to that of 9:1, and refers to the Holy Place. The second tabernacle of 9:7 corresponds to that of 9:3, and refers to the Most Holy. The mistranslated "holiest of all" of 9:8 in the KJV, "the holy places," is the heavenly sanctuary which includes both the Holy and Most Holy, which is consistent with how that phrase is used throughout the book.

I believe what Paul is saying is that in this illustration, the Holy Place on earth represented the daily and yearly services on earth, and the Most Holy on earth represented the services in both places in the heavenly sanctuary. While the earthly sanctuary was in operation, the way into the Holy and Most Holy in heaven was not yet made manifest.

Your position on the reading of Hebrews 9:6-10  is also held by Roy Gane and other SDA "scholars." Now, go to the Greek NT, do a LITERAL TRANSLATION of Hebrews 9:1-10, and let the text interpret itself (if you can!). You will see that your position is untenable. You cannot provide evidence showing that the expresssion "protos skene" ( Hebrews 9:8) refers to the entire sanctuary. The Hebrews 9:6-10 passage makes it clear that the writer designates "protos skene" as the first room of the sanctuary, that is, the holy place.

Eduard
[/quote]

Interesting that I independently came up with the same interpretation from the Greek text. So where exactly is the problem?
[/quote]

Bob,

Such a conclusion changes the whole sanctuary doctrine as taught by the SDA church. Let me summarize what I call the "Biblical perspective" in the following paragraphs:

The OT and NT do not use the same words for the “sanctuary,” “the holy,” and the “most holy.” Compare the Hebrew and the Greek of the OT in Exodus 25, Exodus 26, Exodus 40, Leviticus 24, Numbers 16, 1 Kings 6, and Ezekiel 41. Continue the comparison in the Greek NT with Mt 27, and Hebrews 9. You will see that different terms are used for the “sanctuary,” “the holy,” and “the most holy,” and the notion that the Biblical writers use consistent language to discuss the earthly sanctuary is false. All Biblical terms related to the earthly sanctuary must be examined in their immediate context – the discourse or semantic fragment – in order for the exegete to understand their correct meaning.

The earthly sanctuary had two rooms (Hebrews 9 – tents): the first room(tent), which was called “the holy,” and the second room (tent) which was called “the most holy.” The rooms were separated through the “inner curtain.” While the priests served in the first room, “the holy,” all year round (except on the Day of Atonement), no priest could enter the second room, “the most holy,” under threat of death, because God’s presence was manifested there. Only the high priest was allowed to enter into the second room, “the most holy” on the Day of Atonement in order to make atonement for the people.

The separation between the “holy” and the “most holy” in the earthly sanctuary was necessary because the Divine Presence was manifested in “the most holy place,” and those who dared to come into His presence would die. When Jesus died on the cross, the inner curtain tore from top to bottom eliminating the separation between the first room and the second room, and turning the sanctuary into one single room. There was no more a purpose for the first room, whose sacrifices were ineffective. The true atonement had been made, and there was no more need for the two rooms, for the service in the “holy” and the “most holy,” or for daily or yearly sacrifices. Christ’s complete atonement on the cross had done away with them.

The book of Hebrews does not describe anymore two rooms in the heavenly sanctuary. God’s presence manifests itself all through the heavenly sanctuary. What purpose would serve the separation of the heavenly sanctuary into two rooms, when all the heavenly sanctuary is MOST HOLY? The notion that Jesus began to perform a priestly service in the “holy” of the heavenly sanctuary, and that after 1844 He began work in “the most holy place” in the heavenly sanctuary has no basis in the Bible. Hebrews states clearly that after Jesus’ complete atonement on the cross the daily and the early sacrifices had no more purpose and He did not have to perform them:

Hebrews 7:27 Unlike the other HIGH PRIESTS, he has no need TO OFFER SACRIFICES DAY AFTER DAY, first for his own sins, and then for those of the people; THIS HE DID ONCE FOR ALL WHEN HE OFFERED HIMSELF.

Hebrews 9:25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself AGAIN AND AGAIN, the way the HIGH PRIEST enters THE MOST HOLY PLACE EVERY YEAR with blood that is not his own.

Hebrews 9:26 for THEN he WOULD HAVE had to SUFFER AGAIN AND AGAIN since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has APPEARED ONCE FOR ALL AT THE END OF THE AGE TO REMOVE SIN BY THE SACRIFICE OF HIMSELF.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ, having been offered ONCE to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, NOT TO DEAL WITH SIN, but TO SAVE THOSE WHO ARE EAGERLY WAITING FOR HIM.

Look how the apostle compares in Hebrews the useless work of the priests in the earthly sanctuary, and Jesus’ completed atonement on the cross:

Hebrews 10:11 DAY AFTER DAY every priest stands and PERFORMS HIS RELIGIOUS DUTIES; AGAIN AND AGAIN he OFFERS THE SAME SACRIFICES, which CAN NEVER TAKE AWAY SINS.

Hebrews 10:12 But when this priest had offered FOR ALL TIME ONE SACRIFICE FOR SINS, he SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD.

(You have to remember that there was no sitting room in the earthly sanctuary. The fact that Jesus "sat down at the right hand of God" cannot mean anything but that His work of atonement has been fully accomplished and completed).

Jesus’ work of atonement has been completed at the cross. There he paid the wages of sin for all Adam’s children. In Christ, the believers are sinless, perfect and spotless, clad in His righteousness. If they are sinless, perfect and spotless, what would be the purpose of an “investigative judgment”? Of course, there would be no purpose. The concept of an “investigative judgment” derives from the doctrine of righteousness by works in which Ellen White believed until she died. But the Bible teaches something else. The believers do not need to prove themselves worthy of heaven in an investigative judgment. Their sins have been forgiven, and they are “perfect in Christ, “ ready in Him for heaven.

Forgive me if I cannot include here the hundreds of texts that support my summary. I am certain that you are familiar with all those texts and that you could easily link them to my statements.

Eduard

reddogs

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »

I never realized that so many had already booked passage on Desmond Ford's Phantom Ship to perdition. I had thought that his false teachings would be largely ignored and forgotten by people nowadays. I stand corrected.
SDAminister

What a nice way to tell someone they are going to hell. I thought God decided that
Everybody goes to hell. Do you mean hell-fire?
But I get your intent anyway, so, you think that Ford's teachings will lead people to............salvation?

SDAMinister,

Why such angry post, cant you give us your thoughts without the flames.....Dr Ford has stepped away from the truth in my book, but I still feel he meant well but was misguided, and not by the Holy Spirit. Lately he has seemed to have hardened in his views and maybe writing much more strongly against the truth, trying to maybe convince himself he is right, but for us being followers of Christ, there is no need to pummel him or anyone that thinks he is correct.

Red

SDAminister

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »

Are you implying that there are children here who cannot think for themselves; who need your authoritarian attitude to demand that they think as you do? And... that only you can decide what constitutes a Christian character?

No. Just that if it were my child, this is what I'd do. And I'd do the same for anyone else wanting to step into that car.

SDAminister

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »

But I get your intent anyway, so, you think that Ford's teachings will lead people to............salvation?

There are at least four?? here that take a statement and make it say what they wish the OP had said. Never mind what was actually said .
This game played long enough does convince a few like minded individuals of the rather stretched intent of what was said.
Can you please show me where I said...... so, you think that Ford's teachings will lead people to............salvation?  Inserting the word so indicates here that what I said and what you are accusing of is one and the same. It is not as you know.

I never said you said that. It was a question. I'm asking you, do you think that Ford's teaching will lead people to salvation?

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

I never said you said that. It was a question. I'm asking you, do you think that Ford's teaching will lead people to salvation?

There are a lot of teachings that I disagree with.  Frankly, I know little about this man.  It isn't his teachings that concern me while discussing with you. You can have all the truth in the worls, but when used in a condescending and vicious way,it is a lot more than useless,it is very damaging.
I am thankful my husband did not have those with "the correct belief" and your attitude. He likely would still be catholic.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

SDAminister

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

I never realized that so many had already booked passage on Desmond Ford's Phantom Ship to perdition. I had thought that his false teachings would be largely ignored and forgotten by people nowadays. I stand corrected.
SDAminister

What a nice way to tell someone they are going to hell. I thought God decided that

SDAMinister,

Why such angry post, cant you give us your thoughts without the flames.....Dr Ford has stepped away from the truth in my book, but I still feel he meant well but was misguided, and not by the Holy Spirit. Lately he has seemed to have hardened in his views and maybe writing much more strongly against the truth, trying to maybe convince himself he is right, but for us being followers of Christ, there is no need to pummel him or anyone that thinks he is correct.

Red

And I will continue to pummel Ford. When the lion and bear came to steal away sheep from David's flock, he chased down the bear and the lion and killed them. It's my duty to do the same. Not to kill Ford, of course. May God have mercy on him and me alike. But rather to kill his philosophy which steals sheep away from God. If you come as a wolf intending to kill and steal, you get a heavy dose of the staff--the shepherd's rod, if you will. Plain enough?
SDAminister

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »

Bob,

As I said before, in some biblical passages there may be a relationship between "day" and "year." You understand that I would have to see the Biblical passages you might refer to before I conclude whether or not there is indeed a relationship between the two terms. Still, you cannot produce more than a dozen examples of such kind AT ITS MOST! There are more than other 4000 instances of "day" and "year" in the Bible where the "year-day equation" or "rule" does not apply.

It's possible you might be missing my point. My point is not that in certain passages a day is a symbol of a year. Rather, my point is that in certain passages yom means year.

Here are the passages. To make it quicker, I am including also the ones from the KJV that could be explained away. Note the ones that can't. "<03117>" follows where yom occurs.

Ex 13:10  Thou shalt therefore keep this ordinance in his season from year <03117> to year <03117>.

Le 25:29  And if a man sell a dwelling house in a walled city, then he may redeem it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year <03117> may he redeem it.

Nu 9:22  Or whether it were two days, or a month, or a year <03117>, that the cloud tarried upon the tabernacle, remaining thereon, the children of Israel abode in their tents, and journeyed not: but when it was taken up, they journeyed.

Jos 13:1  Now Joshua was old and stricken in years <03117>; and the LORD said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years <03117>, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.

Jud 11:40  That the daughters of Israel went yearly <03117> to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

Jud 17:10  And Micah said unto him, Dwell with me, and be unto me a father and a priest, and I will give thee ten shekels of silver by the year <03117>, and a suit of apparel, and thy victuals. So the Levite went in.

Jud 21:19  Then they said, Behold, there is a feast of the LORD in Shiloh yearly <03117> in a place which is on the north side of Bethel, on the east side of the highway that goeth up from Bethel to Shechem, and on the south of Lebonah.

1Sa 1:3  And this man went up out of his city yearly <03117> to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.

1Sa 1:21  And the man Elkanah, and all his house, went up to offer unto the LORD the yearly <03117> sacrifice, and his vow.

1Sa 2:19  Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year <03117> to year <03117>, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly <03117> sacrifice.

1Sa 20:6  If thy father at all miss me, then say, David earnestly asked leave of me that he might run to Bethlehem his city: for there is a yearly <03117> sacrifice there for all the family.

1Sa 27:7  And the time that David dwelt in the country of the Philistines was a full year <03117> and four months.

1Ki 1:1  Now king David was old and stricken in years <03117>; and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat.

2Ch 21:19  And it came to pass, that in process of time, after the end of two years <03117>, his bowels fell out by reason of his sickness: so he died of sore diseases. And his people made no burning for him, like the burning of his fathers.

Am 4:4  Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years <03117>:

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »

When Jesus died on the cross, the inner curtain tore from top to bottom eliminating the separation between the first room and the second room, and turning the sanctuary into one single room. There was no more a purpose for the first room, whose sacrifices were ineffective. The true atonement had been made, and there was no more need for the two rooms, for the service in the “holy” and the “most holy,” or for daily or yearly sacrifices. Christ’s complete atonement on the cross had done away with them.

I would say that you have made an assumption here that is not necessarily true. There is more than one possible result from or meaning of the tearing of the veil.

A good test of the theory might be Rev. 4, 5, 8, 11. When a door is opened in heaven, there is seen the 7 lamps of fire and the golden altar of incense. But the ark is not seen until 11:17 when the temple is said to be opened yet again. This suggests two rooms still.

Also, we have Rev. 3's letter to Philadelphia which mentions the temple and refers to something being shut and something being opened, and the thing being opened is said to be a door. To me it is an obvious allusion to the first and second veils, and thus indicates that the ehavenly temple still has two apartments and two veils.

The book of Hebrews does not describe anymore two rooms in the heavenly sanctuary.

True, but it is also true that Hebrews alludes to both. First of all, when referring to the heavenly it calls it "the Holy Places." Secondly, it makes quite clear that the earthly was a shadow or copy of the heavenly. Since the earthly had two apartments, the heavenly would too.

The notion that Jesus began to perform a priestly service in the “holy” of the heavenly sanctuary, and that after 1844 He began work in “the most holy place” in the heavenly sanctuary has no basis in the Bible.

I disagree.

Jesus’ work of atonement has been completed at the cross.

Hebrews is clear that what the priests did on earth is a shadow of the gospel. The priests did not make the atonement until after the death of the sacrifice. While I believe that there was an atonement on Calvary, to say that the entire work of atonement was completed there would go totally contrary to the type.

There he paid the wages of sin for all Adam’s children. In Christ, the believers are sinless, perfect and spotless, clad in His righteousness. If they are sinless, perfect and spotless, what would be the purpose of an “investigative judgment”?

To some extent we just have to accept what God has said in His Word, whether we can explain everything or not. If the email I copied above is true, then Ford has departed from accepting what God has said regarding Creation, and we simply cannot follow his example in that regard.

God investigated prior to hading down the sentence to Adam, Eve, Cain, the builders at Babel, and Sodom. It's just how He operates.

And so do we. Even if we know the person is guilty, we still go through the legal process.

Now above you said that Christ paid the wages of sin for all Adam's children, and that is true. But then you indicated that it is believers who receive certain blessings, not everyone, and that is true. So an investigative judgment would determine who is a believer and who isn't.

Some start off believing and then decide they don't want to believe anymore. And some fake it, or look like they are believing because they are afraid Noah might be right after all, but can't remain that way for 120 years. At any rate, the IJ sorts all that out, and that makes sense to me.

Of course, there would be no purpose. The concept of an “investigative judgment” derives from the doctrine of righteousness by works in which Ellen White believed until she died.

Has nothing to do with righteousness by works. Ellen White spent a lot of time preaching the message of Minnesapolis regarding righteousness by faith.

But the Bible teaches something else. The believers do not need to prove themselves worthy of heaven in an investigative judgment.

Adam and Eve were believers in Eden. They were perfect. They were sinless. They still were tested by the tree. They failed that test. God in His mercy allowed them and all their descendants to retake that test.

Unfortunately (humanly speaking), good teachers make the retake harder than the original, and God is no different. Or rather, the reason the retake is harder is because of our own perverse natures.

Job 23:10  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

Heb 11:17  By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Jas 1:12  Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

The idea that our faith is tested in this life is very biblical. The tests, trials, and temptations of life merely demonstrate whether or not we truly believe.

Blondin would walk across a tight rope over Niagara Falls. Folks would gamble over whether he would make it or not. He fixed a meal out in the middle, pulling a stove up from a boat underneath. He pushed a wheelbarrow across.

One of his biggest feats was carrying a man over on his back. Nobody volunteered to be carried. But his agent believed in him. Truly did. And so since no one volunteered, he agreed to be the one.

Blondin got halfway over on the rope with his agent on his back, but he needed to rest. So he told the fellow to get off his back and hold onto his sides, and everything would be all right. So the guy did. After the rest the guy got back on, and they finished walking across.

Now that fellow had real faith. Faith today is such an easy word to say, but often it doesn't mean much. The IJ demonstrates before all, using due process which Gailon so highly values, whose faith was genuine and whose wasn't.

It sure makes sense to me, and I can't see any way that it isn't biblical.

Ozzie

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »

Are you implying that there are children here who cannot think for themselves; who need your authoritarian attitude to demand that they think as you do? And... that only you can decide what constitutes a Christian character?

No. Just that if it were my child, this is what I'd do. And I'd do the same for anyone else wanting to step into that car.

Well, there are not children here (as far as I understand), who need 'rescuing' from Christian characteristics (which is what I was referring to), so we come back to the issues of 'spiritual abuse' again.

Your way or the highway? Is that how it is? And... if people don't follow exactly as you say, you have every right to denigrate and verbally abuse them?

In some ways I feel very sorry for you. In other ways, I feel like I'd love to shut you up one way or another, before you turn other Christian folk away from Christianity.

Remember, I have stated on several occasions that I am not a "Ford follower".
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Ozzie

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »

There are a lot of teachings that I disagree with.  Frankly, I know little about this man.  It isn't his teachings that concern me while discussing with you.color=blue] You can have all the truth in the worls, but when used in a condescending and vicious way,it is a lot more than useless,it is very damaging.[/color]

:thumbsup: :amen:

I am thankful my husband did not have those with "the correct belief" and your attitude. He likely would still be catholic.

:amen: AGAIN.  :goodpost:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

reddogs

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »

SDAminister

SDAMinister,

Red

And I will continue to pummel Ford. When the lion and bear came to steal away sheep from David's flock, he chased down the bear and the lion and killed them. It's my duty to do the same. Not to kill Ford, of course. May God have mercy on him and me alike. But rather to kill his philosophy which steals sheep away from God. If you come as a wolf intending to kill and steal, you get a heavy dose of the staff--the shepherd's rod, if you will. Plain enough?
SDAminister

SDAMinister,

Of course if God has chosen you for such a task, but that may not be the case. And I think there are others, God fearing Christians, who have done a much better job without tearing him to shreds and ripping up his character....

Red

SDAminister

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »

And I think there are others, God fearing Christians, who have done a much better job without tearing him to shreds and ripping up his character....

Red

You just might be correct, Red.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 05:39:08 AM »

Since this thread has been idle for a week, I thought I'd provide links to two posts, the first that deals with the day-year principle, and the second that deals with Hebrews and the investigative judgment.

http://www.adventtalk.com/forums/index.php/topic,1045.msg12579.html#msg12579

http://www.adventtalk.com/forums/index.php/topic,1045.msg12580.html#msg12580

Any problems with the reasoning in those posts?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up