Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself To Us Here!  (Read 162555 times)

imagrandpa

Re: Introduce Yourself To Us Here!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

It just dawned on me that I have never introduced myself here. I was born 75 years ago in Denmark, but when I was 5 my father was called back to his homeland, Iceland, to be the leader of literature evangelism. We were fortunate thus to avoid the throes of World War II.

After the war I traveled to Denmark, Sweden, and Norway together with three sisters. Two of these married brothers in Norway, and one is now my oldest son's mother-in-law, living in Norway. The third returned to Iceland and married my best childhood friend. I was so happy he got a good wife. . .

Later I spent a total of 7 years in the United States,  where I found my German wife, and we had our first son. The next was born in Europe (Denmark) and the third one in Africa (Nigeria). It is now 56 years since I was first employed by the Seventh-day Adventist Church which took me to six different countries where we lived, with shorter assignments to other countries. Mostly pastoral, departmental director, and teaching. (Bible - in 3 different countries).

After almost 51 years of marriage my wife succumbed to breast cancer in Norway. One of those who spoke of her gratitude to Irmgard at her funeral was Linda Shelton. She said Irmgard had remained a true friend when almost all others had forsaken her. (Linda came on a short visit to Norway from her home in Springfield, Ill.)

My childhood friend died 11 years before that. Now his widow has become my wife, and we are really enjoying our senior years together - in Iceland. Together we have 9 grown children, 20 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. From time to time we visit my wife, Ida's, three sisters in Norway where I have two sons and three grandchildren.

We enjoy worshiping our Lord and Savior together - and singing. (Still members of a concert choir - which are so abundant in Iceland.) And I still preach and teach in Sabbath School. And we enjoy memories of rich and fruitful lives, and of having helped quite a number of people finding Christ.

Iceland was designated in 2007 as the best country in the world to live in, with Norway number two. Iceland is probably the only country where phone books list people alphabetically by first names. Mine is

Johann

Welcome every one of you to Advent Talk!

Well... you make me look bad Johann.  I too will have to get
around to intro myself also.   I have enjoyed reading your
posts here and on BSDA.    You seem to be a very honest
and straigtforward person.   Also, glad that you have
found someone to share your life with after losing your wife.
I do not know how I could handle what you have, but God
sometimes gives us strength we did not know we had.

I have also heard much abt. Norway and the life there.
Most Americans know little about (incl myself).  I have
heard it is a very progessive country and that the
economy is booming and very stable.   Also, hear it was
a good place to invest some of our retirement monies.
Feel free to PM me on that point if you care to.

Keep on posting !!!

(I will get around to it too soon)

(I am a born procrastinator ! )

Rainnpony

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »

70 horses???  That sounds like a bit of heaven on earth, Johann.  Where is he? (Your grandson, that is...) How do I get there??? Perhaps I exaggerate a wee bit.  But it does sound wonderful. Still, horses are a great responsibility. I know as we had seven at one time and they were all in stalls and that adds up to quite a bit of daily work but the love you get in return is worth it many times over. It's so nice to find this understanding here. BTW, I think you are aquainted with my Uncle Bill Mead from Hemet, CA???  I was getting aquainted with Gailon over the weekend via e-mail as we hail from the same neck of the woods here in the states. Found out I knew quite a few members of his extended family in Maine. As I said to him being an SDA can really shrink your world.  It is good to have found this site. 'Tis past my bedtime as I like to arise early so, adieu for now.
Rainnpony :cat:

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:34 AM »

As we have a forum for pet lovers and another one for nature lovers at Maritime SDA OnLine, perhaps there may also be enough interest here to create one that would cover both?

marcand

• Abundant Rest Ministries
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »

Hello All!

Just found this forum through the links over at Save3ABN.com.  Looks like the start of a great place to be, so I signed up!  I've not really had a lot of interaction or networking online with other Adventists, although I have had a website for quite a few years.

I was baptized into the church in August of 1999, after three grueling years of study, denial, and conviction.  I have been challenged on the Sabbath in a work environment, and have seen God's hand move in that type of situation.  I found my soul-mate and wife once I humbled myself to God, and she is the one who lead me to the present truth of the Adventist church.

I've been involved with Prison Ministry on both a local level and through a pen-pal program.  I've also held several church offices to include sound / media coordinator, Sabbath school teacher, head Sabbath school teacher, deacon and elder.  I've had the opportunity to preach in several churches, and even on a regular basis for a time.

I started an online ministry called Abundant Rest Ministries (plural because I had/have plans to have differing outreach programs) back in 2001 on a Yahoo! Geocities account.  A few years later I moved it on to it's own domain and started The Historic Adventist Podcast as well.

I look forward to sharing interaction here on the forums, learning about others, and sharing a common belief in the pillars of our faith.

In Christ,

Michael
Michael Arcand
Abundant Rest Ministries
www.abundantrest.org

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 08:24:25 AM »

:welcome: Michael to Advent Talk. :)

I hope you will also go and check out our sister forum at Maritime SDA OnLine.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »

Hey, all. I'm also a member at Maritime and BlackSDA. I'm not an SDA, but I have many close friends in the SDA church. As you can probably tell from my username, I am a former employee of 3ABN. I am trying to keep up to date on all the latest information coming from the happenings there.

I already recognize many of the names here. I don't feel like I'm among strangers.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Ozzie

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »

Hey, all. I'm also a member at Maritime and BlackSDA. I'm not an SDA, but I have many close friends in the SDA church. As you can probably tell from my username, I am a former employee of 3ABN. I am trying to keep up to date on all the latest information coming from the happenings there.

I already recognize many of the names here. I don't feel like I'm among strangers.

Hello ex3abnemployee.  :welcome: It's good to see some more 'family' coming across from other Forums. Good to have you here.
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Johann

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »

Hi Duane,

I trust you feel at home here where we still have an open line while another one is closed for now.  :welcome:

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 06:30:05 AM »

:welcome: Duane.  :)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 07:34:24 AM »

As we have a forum for pet lovers and another one for nature lovers at Maritime SDA OnLine, perhaps there may also be enough interest here to create one that would cover both?

Just saw the remark about the pet lover's forum. I have a website in which I provide a place for viewing for friends that have a small kennel.
They sell only locally, no shipping but this gives those who have a possible interest in a puppy to view first.
Check out the Foxy Lady link on sidebar menu
www.preciouspupsboutique.com
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

ERIK

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »

hello adventtalk.

Since the 3abn police have closed the balacksda section 3abn i thought would come over here for a bit for 3abn related matters.

and since teh thought cops at 3abn are trying to shut my mouth up, i just wanted them to know that i am not going away, and i will stick around.

Erik

Johann

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »

Eric,

I have always appreciated your sincerity. Glad you have come here too. :sabbath: :welcome:

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

hello adventtalk.
Since the 3abn police have closed the balacksda section 3abn i thought would come over here for a bit for 3abn related matters.

and since teh thought cops at 3abn are trying to shut my mouth up, i just wanted them to know that i am not going away, and i will stick around.
Erik

Good to have people who won't be bought or sold Erik, and will stand for principle.  :welcome:   :sabbath:

Ozzie

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »

hello adventtalk.

and since teh thought cops at 3abn are trying to shut my mouth up, i just wanted them to know that i am not going away, and i will stick around. Erik

:sabbath: Hello Erik. Great to see you here. Our 'family' is growing. Welcome.  :welcome: 
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

Brick

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »

I posted for a while on BSDA under the name “Brick Step.”  I manage but am still behind in computer skills and will give a victory shout if this post manages to turn up in the right place, in the right way.

I was born into an SDA pastor’s home, and taught for a number of years in Adventist primary schools.  In a difficult time in the life of the church, I lost membership, in a quite publicized way, all involving much controversy.  But God always over-rules all for the good of those that love Him. I have never for five minutes stopped worshipping as a Christian and Seventh-day Adventist believer.  About 20-30 in the situation also lost membership in the end, and we all felt the need to meet separately for a few years. My husband and I are now, in better circumstances, worshipping almost weekly in Conference churches, often taking Senior SS lessons and even preaching sermons.

Through our drama, though taking strongest issue with some of the judgments of some holding office in the church, we never came to the place where we turned our backs upon the Adventist Conference Church altogether.  I feel the same way about the 3ABN debacle.  We pray daily that the court cases will go away, the bitter divisions will cease, truth will triumph, wrongs made right, and that relationships will be healed where they need to be healed.  But we see the wonderful and undoubted blessing of the overall 3ABN television and radio witness, and cannot but pray that it will be protected and enabled to continue. 

God bless and guide all concerned.

We live in the country in Australia.  I may come back later and tell you some of our many snake stories.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up