Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

The Everlasting Covenant

(1/9) > >>

Hakim:
Hi folks!

I  would like to introduce the topic of the Everlasting Covenant.
The reason for this: In recent years the attacks against the Sabbath and against the Law of God have centered about the covenant. So I started reading books, articles, and listening to speakers. I would have to say that Adventists do not have a unified doctrine on the covenant. In fact, some of the concepts I have heard promoted would play right into the hands of the dispensationalists.

Why is this important? In the covenant is the basis and framework for our doctrines, prophecies, and the meaning of God's interactions with mankind. When you understand the covenant, all these things fall into place.

There are several critical issues: How was the covenant established in the first place? What relation do the covenants (plural) have to the covenant (singular)? What was the old covenant? What is the new covenant? and what does the New Testament say about the covenant?

Admittedly, this IS an ambitious project. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I do hope that each person will read carefully what is said by me and by others and give carefully thought out responses. In order to make progress in understanding truth, each of us needs to be open minded and be willing to accept truth when it is presented.

More later for an exciting trip!
Hakim ("doc" in Amharic)

inga:
A very important topic, Hakim. I understand your concern because I, too, have read explanations of "covenants" (plural) that would play into the hands of dispensationalists. I look forward to further thoughts from you.

Artiste:
 :welcome: to AdventTalk, Hakim!

I also am very interested in the study of the Everlasting Covenant and have looked into it at length in the past, but mainly in the terms of what is said about it in the Old Testament.  (Not sure where else reliable and trustworthy information about it would be obtained, except in the New Testament, of course.)

Which concepts have you run into that would play into the hands of the dispensationalists?

Hakim:
Covenant Beginning

Statement:
Before Creation there was a council within the Godhead to formulate the Plan of Salvation to be put in use only if man should use his power of choice wrongly, and choose to sin.

Who is the Godhead?
This term is used in the Bible three times (Acts 17:29; Rom 1:20; Col 2:9).

Paul made this statement in his address to the philosophers in Athens:

“Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device” (Acts 17:29).

On his third missionary journey, while in Corinth, Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome. He hoped soon to visit Rome. In preparation for this he wrote this epistle, outlining in strong clear terms the great principles of the Gospel:

“being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).

Paul lived and preached in Ephesus for three years. People from all over western Asia (present day Turkey) traveled to and from Ephesus. Probably Paul never went to Colossae, but from his work in Ephesus the gospel spread to all western Asia.

“For in him (Christ) dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9).

Who are the persons who make up the Godhead?These are phrases from a number of verses that name the Father, Son and Holy Ghost:

• Isaiah 11:1-5 “the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, ... the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; ... of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD:”
• Isaiah 48:16 “and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.”
• Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me;... the LORD hath anointed me to preach”
• Matthew 3:16, 17 “he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased”
• Matthew 28:19-20 “Baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”
• 1 Corinthians 12:3-4 “No man speaking by the Spirit of God ... can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost”
• 2 Corinthians 13:14 “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all.”
• Ephesians 2:18 “For through him (Jesus) we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

Comment:
To best study the Covenant, I would recommend the historical approach. By establishing one point at a time, we will be less confused. So If you don't mind, I will put off the question about dispensationialism for now. The first and most important point is to determine the beginning of the covenant -- how it was established. In this post I hope to show that there IS a Godhead composed of Three Persons.
-------------------------
Hakim

Hakim:
The Council in Heaven

Now that we understand that the Godhead is made up of three persons – the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, we are ready to speak of the Council in Heaven. In that Council an agreement was reached on what was the "will of God." The Father would give the Son; the Son would give Himself; and the Holy Spirit would make effectual the grace of God in the hearts of men.

. . . . “For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
    . . . . “...I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again....” (John 10:17,18).
    . . . . "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
    . . . . "I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart” (Psalms 40:6-10; see also Hebrews 10:7).

It is important here to realize that the covenant is about what God can do, not about what man can do. It is about Jesus Christ, His life on earth, and His sacrifice on Calvary. In this is the promise of eternal life and for restoration of everything that was lost in Eden.

This was referred to as “my covenant” fifty one times in the Bible. You will also find the term “everlasting covenant” sixteen times in the Bible. If you understand this foundation principle you will go a long way to understand covenant language in the rest of the Bible.

When was this Council in Heaven?

• "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Revelation 13:8 KJV
• "the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world." Revelation 13:8 NIV
• "the Lamb that was slain [in sacrifice] from the foundation of the world." Revelation 13:8 AMP
• "stood a Lamb ... for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood." Rev. 5:6-9
• "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and Honour, and glory, and blessing." Revelation 5:12 KJV
• "Who (Christ, the Lamb) verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you," 1 Peter 1:20 KJV
• "inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matthew 25:34

When Jesus came to the Jordan to be baptized by John the Baptist, John immediately identified Him, “Behold, the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). The Messiah is also identified as the Lamb to be slain in Isaiah 53. The decision for Jesus, the Second Person of the Godhead, to play this role was established in Council in Heaven before Creation of this earth. Jesus Christ is the focus and the center of the everlasting covenant.

Comment:
I realize that much of what I have posted is elementary to most on this forum. In another forum, these were points that were challenged repeatedly. Thus, a person must understand even elementary points before we can proceed to deeper understandings.
-------------------------
Hakim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version