Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Everlasting Covenant  (Read 22200 times)

Hakim

Re: The Everlasting Covenant
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:29:45 PM »

February 15, 2008

Now that we have studied the council in Heaven, the next event is Adam and Eve in Eden. In two short verses Adam and Eve were instructed to avoid the tree in the middle of the garden. The record of Genesis is sparse and does not take into account the oral tradition of that day. Much more information was likely given and just not written down.

16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.  Genesis 2:16, 17

How is eating of the forbidden fruit a test? Why would it be so important? After all the fruit was quite like all the other fruit. It looked beautiful, it was sweet, and it tasted good. There was nothing about the fruit that made it bad. It was forbidden for one reason, and for one reason only – because God had forbidden to eat of it. It was a test to see if Adam and Eve would recognize an intelligence greater than theirs and to which they must submit their own wills.

In short Eve was deceived by Satan (the serpent) and ate of the fruit. She brought the fruit to Adam who was not deceived. Adam’s temptation was different. Did he trust God to have an answer for the terrible dilemma he found himself in? Would he lose the lovely Eve, or did God have a plan in mind to save her? Another issue was at stake: Satan wanted dominion of the earth. But he could not get it unless he caused Adam to sin also. Making Eve sin was not enough. Adam had the greater temptation and in sinning he had the greater fall. In choosing to sin he chose for the whole race.

You know the story. I’m sure all heaven mourned. God came to see Adam and Eve before the sun set that day with the covenant:

15 “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” Genesis 3:15.

God would give them a conscience – enmity between mankind and Satan. He would “write the law on their hearts!”  There was also the promise of a Sin Bearer who would destroy sin and Satan, but only through His own suffering. The word “covenant” is not used, but it had the features of the everlasting covenant.

If Satan had gained dominion of this earth after Adam’s sin, did God have a right to intervene and give these blessings and promises? No! Except for one thing: In the promise of His coming to buy back all that was lost in Eden, He had the right “in prolepsis” to intervene and bless mankind. In this future promise Christ atoned for man’s sin and offered a legal justification, and a probation so that man could learn of the love and mercy of God.

The focus of the covenant was the promise of a Sin Bearer, and the mandate for men was to show enmity against sin and Satan – to keep the law of God.
-------------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »

Dr. Sturges,

It's interesting that you reference God's promise to Adam and Eve as the first mention of the everlasting covenant in view of the fact that later covenant statements were made specifically to the Jews of the Old Testament, particularly the promises of Jeremiah 31 and 33. 
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Hakim

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »

Artiste,

It is true, the covenant was given to the Jews. Paul says they received the oracles of God. Jesus said that salvation is of the Jews. Many people, including the Jews themselves took a very narrow view of this -- as if the covenant and the blessings of God were to be restricted to the Jews. Much is said in the Old Testament to indicate that God had much broader plans for Israel.  He intended that they be a "kingdom of priests" to evangelize the world.

When the captivity ended, Daniel gave a very significant prophecy in Daniel 9:24-27 outlining the mandate God had for Israel and allowing them just 490 years to accomplish this mandate. Read especially verse 24.  Here are a number of verses showing that God intended for Israel in the Old Testament to reach all the world:

"All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee." Psalms 22:27

2 "And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
3 "And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem." Isaiah 2:2-3

"And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth." Isaiah 49:6

4 "Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.
5 "My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust." Isaiah 51:4-5

"Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people." Isaiah 56:7

See also a more extensive list of verses if needed:
Genesis 49:10; Exodus 19:6; Psalm 67:4; 72:17; 98:2,3; 117:1
Isaiah 11:10; 42:1-4, 6; 45:14; 54:3; 60:1-3; 66:19;  Daniel 9:24
Jeremiah 3:17; 16:19; Micah 4:1-2; Zechariah 2:11; Malachi 1:11

Another aspect of this is that Romans 11 indicates that the Christian Church replaced Israel the nation as the chosen people of God, bearing the blessings and the responsibilities of the covenant. 1 Peter 2:9 repeats Exodus 19:5,6 indicating that the same covenant given to Israel is given to the Christian Church.
----------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Johann

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 10:33:56 PM »

I sense that Artiste has an avid interest in a Jewish background. Many Christians believe the Jews are still very privileged to be God's chosen people, and that all of them will be saved.

You mention the promises found in Jeremiah. How do these apply? What advantage do people with a Jewish background have?

Hakim

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

Johann and Artiste,

In looking at the profiles of several people on this forum, I noted some who have Jewish backgrounds and/or interest in things Jewish. I am one. A certain picture of my mother looks very Jewish. I asked her if she were Jewish, which she denied. Then I asked others if any Jews ever got to Sweden, and was affirmed that indeed they did. So I don't know.

To answer your question and a suggestion to Artiste, I would say that as Christians we need to know what the Bible says, even if it crosses our personal beliefs. We need to know that God is a God of love and mercy. Whatever His plan it is for the best.

On my website, www.everlastingcovenant.com drill down to article #27, "The Chosen People" and follow the hyperlink "To Be a Jew." I have tried to put together what I could find about the status of Jews today. I would have to warn you that I am not a Zionist. I am afraid that some of the beliefs associated with Zionism are fatal deceptions that will cause people to wait for events that will never happen and they will not get ready for Jesus' Second Coming as they should.

On the other hand, I have long had a suspicion that Joshua V. Himes was Jewish. It was because of his talents that William Miller began to speak in large churches and his message spread over America at the time. We need more Joshua V. Himes' today.  And I suspect we will find them among the Jews.
--------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »

Hakim,

My experience is similar to yours in regards to Jewishness.

You mentioned Romans 11 as indicating that the Christian Church replaced the nation of Israel as the chosen people of God.

As you know, Romans 9, 10, and 11 are written specifically concerning the Jews--Paul's ethnic brethern.  Paul says, "I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin.  God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew" 

He said this well after the Jews rejected Jesus and presided over His crucifiction, when it is commonly considered that the Jews as a nation were rejected by God. 

Paul had already explained the significance of the natural olive tree:  "Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised!"

Paul told the Gentile Christians that they were the wild branches being grafted in, supported by the natural root.

It is interesting that Paul said near the end of Romans 11, "I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, [speaking here to the Gentile Christians] so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in." 

I've wondered what the "mystery" was and what was to happen with Israel after the full number of Gentiles had come in.

"For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?"  --Romans 11:15
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:10:37 AM by Artiste »
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Hakim

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

Artiste,

Thank you for your reply. I have talked to Jews, especially those who came to Weimar when I was there. It seems that the Holocaust has had a profound effect on the Jewish psyche.  Maybe it is lessening now that several generations have passed. It seems that some are angry at God for letting it happen, and have given up all religion, including Judaism. Many had to endure the epithet "Christ Killers." I have always tried to tell them that there is a wide variety of belief within the Christian world, and most would NEVER call anyone a Christ Killer. In fact I found this verse:

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. John 10:17-18

I tell Christians that they must have this verse on the tip of the tongue when speaking with Jews. It is an affirmation that Jesus came to die, that no one took His life, except as He gave it.

It is a problem for me to observe the hostility that most Jews still have for Christianity. Some are being converted, one by one. I just hope that some time there will be many.
-------------------------
In 1972 I went to Loma Linda to take more training in Gastroenterology. It was a problem for me to find office space. There were four others on the staff, two of whom had spacious well appointed offices. But who was willing to share his office but Ray Herber (happens to be Jewish), who had the smallest office. I have had a lot of respect for Ray ever since.

I don't know how interested you are in this. I have heard it said that Adventists generally do not have a well developed view of present day Judaism. Romans 11:25 could well be prophetic. I hope so.
----------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Hakim

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

This is to answer some questions:

Questions have arisen as to the promise of land in the covenant with Abraham,
what view of the covenant plays into the hands of the dispensationalists,
how the Holy Spirit might be miscontrued in these end time,
the whether Christ needed “authority” to intervene after Adam had sinned.

I am not sure that I gave good answers to these questions, partly because I am still learning myself. But let me try again:

At Creation Adam was given dominion over the earth. In this verse Adam was to populate the earth and to subdue it. This included the whole earth, which was the first promise of land. He was also given dominion over all living things.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Genesis 1:28

This dominion was lost to Satan when Adam sinned. When God gave the covenant to Abraham, He again promised land. It was a much smaller piece of land, but at Sinai God again said that “all the earth is mine.” This implied that God intended for His people to bring His message to the whole earth. This promise reaches us in this day in the missionary movement of the church.
-----------------------
How do some modern views of the covenant play into the hands of the dispensationalists. First of all, what do the dispensationalists believe? It is their view that the Sinai covenant including the ten commandment law was given just to the Jews. The New Covenant promised in Jeremiah was given to the church at Calvary or at Pentecost, but without the ten commandment law – and particularly without the Sabbath command.

Many Adventists still hold to the concept that the Old Covenant was operative throughout the Old Testament period, and that Jesus brought this to an end at Calvary. Then a New Covenant was instituted at that time. Adventists are then put into a difficult position to show that the ten commandments were given for all people for all time. There are good answers to this, but they would be much stronger with a better understanding of the Covenant. This is being discussed now.
-------------------------
How is the Holy Spirit misconstrued in modern times. I had mentioned the tongues movement. I visited a Nazarene church one time at the invitation of patient-friends of mine. A woman evangelist spoke strongly about the Holy Spirit. The meeting then closed. We stood around and talked. She asked if we believed in the Holy Spirit. We said most assuredly we did. Somehow that was not the right answer. After visiting a little more, we left – but no one else left! We were surprised. I thought the meeting was over.  Looking back, I think the meeting did not even start until we left!

Another aspect is the feeling of some that the impressions and/or revelations people get today are more reliable than what the Bible says. This is putting a false view of the Holy Spirit above the Bible.
------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Hakim

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »

Continued from above:

I had made the comment that when God gave the covenant to Adam and Eve, He could do so only in the authority He received “in prolepsis” (acting as though a future event has already occurred) from His willing sacrifice on Calvary. Ellen White has said repeatedly that all blessings come to us through the cross of Calvary.  Here is an important passage. I apologize for printing so much of it, but it is all significant.

1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. Revelation 5:1-6

The scroll with seven seals showed the prophetic history of the Christian Church. Only the Lamb who was slain was able to open the seals and reveal the contents. In the rest of the chapter we find that the “Lamb” is referenced again in verses 8, 12, and 13; and being slain is referenced again in verse nine.

Only by being the Lamb that was slain could Christ intervene and redeem mankind. And for this all creation bows before Him with the highest praise.
-----------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Johann

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »

You have given some good answers, so I venture asking you another question.

Why are you presenting the Everlasting Covenant as so important? Isn't faith in Jesus Christ all we need? Is there a relationship between faith and this covenant?

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »

Isn't our role in the covenant the expression of our Faith...after all, as I see the covenant it is a two party contract, we accept the Gift of God and then share that Gift with a broken world as the Divine Hope!!!

But, I do wait with baited breathe for the continuation of this terrific study!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy

Hakim

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »

Gailon and Johann and others,

Please pardon my absence. I admit that I bit off more than I could chew. I had started my own www.covenantforum.com which really has not taken off as hoped. There was another forum on which I posted for the last four years, but gradually most of the believers left and only those who questioned everything were left. As you can guess, discussions there were not too rewarding. For several reasons I decided to try some other SDA forums, and started this discussion on three forums.

I really was not prepared for what happened. Discussion has been so intense, rapid, and challenging that I cannot keep up. I have limited my discussion to one of those forums and it is all I can do to keep up there. We have gotten as far as the Sinai covenant(s) and are trying to work through the problems there.This will still take  some more time.

I hate to direct people from one forum to another in the interest of fairness. However I do have a website www.everlastingcovenant.com which is my major interest. It is a work in progress, and I am doing a major re-write now. You are welcome to look at it and use anything you want.

My interest in this comes from a paper "The Sabbath and Sunday" by J. Mark Martin. He brings up all the arguments that we have had for over 100 years. However, recent attacks against the law and the Sabbath center around the covenant. I have heard SDA speakers, read articles and books by SDA authors and find that we, as Adventists, do not have a unitary belief on the Sabbath. So, about four years ago I started a project of studying the covenant(s) to find out what the Bible says. The website is the result and it is still in the process of development.

I am going to take a risk and present "Adventist Dispensationalism" in three parts. I will see what I can do to keep upl
------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Hakim

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »

Adventist Dispensationalism

Topics:
Definitions
Mediator of a New Covenant

In this article I am speaking to my own church and to a common belief that appears to be Biblical, but that opens up a number of problems with other Biblical concepts.

Definitions

Dispensationalism is to believe that Israel in the Old Testament were under the Sinai covenant, which included the ten commandments and the ceremonial law. They were saved by keeping the law. When Jesus came this “old covenant” came to an end and the New Covenant was instituted whereby the law is written on the heart, and men are saved by grace.

Many Adventists believe that Israel in the Old Testament were under the Old Covenant (undefined). They separate the ten commandments from this covenant, saying that it was in force from Eden and is for all men. Men were saved by faith in the promise of the Messiah in the Old Covenant, and by faith in the fact of His coming in the New. At Calvary the New Covenant was instituted and men were given a fuller and more complete revelation of the character of God.

This is a peculiar mix. While promoting an “old covenant” that was “faulty” for the old testament period and a “new covenant” after the cross, they try to hold onto the ten commandment law as applicable to all men in all places and in all time. Admittedly, this concept seems to be supported by a number of passages in the writing of Paul, and especially in Hebrews 8-10. I will quote just one verse:

Mediator of a New Covenant

“For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant” (Hebrews 9:15 NIV).

“Christ is the mediator of a new covenant.” This is certainly plain enough. Jesus mediates a new covenant! Further it is stated in His death He ransomed those who sinned under a first (old?) covenant. The sacrifices were done to atone for sin under the “old covenant.” These could not be effective until Jesus had provided the real sacrifice at Calvary, which atoned for the sins of all men – those in both the old testament and those in the church age.

This is plain enough. There is no argument. Or is there?

Paul in Hebrews is dealing with perceptions. He is accepting the terms “new, old, first” etc as commonly used in his day. In fact those terms are being used in the same way today. I propose that the terms “new covenant” and “old or first covenant” are descriptive terms, not necessarily representing historical covenants.
------------------------
to be continued.....

Hakim

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »

Adventist Dispensationalism -- continued part two

Did Jesus bring to an end the Old Covenant and institute a New Covenant at Calvary?

We need to understand where the covenant came from. It was formulated within the council of the Godhead before the foundation of this world. The focus of this covenant was for Jesus to come, live among men a sinless life, die a sacrificial death on Calvary, be resurrected and eventually restore all that was lost in Eden. The purpose of this covenant was the salvation of men and the vindication of the justice and mercy of God.

I don’t think there is any argument on this fact. I must add that the above paragraph describes just ONE covenant. No other covenant with these features has even been made. It is called the “everlasting covenant” or “my covenant.” These terms are used fifteen times and fifty one times respectively in the Bible. They are not obscure terms and can refer to only one thing, the covenant made within the Godhead before the foundation of this world.

It is easy to get bogged down in the details of the “old covenant” and the “new covenant.” Actually, this is important, but let us focus on only one issue: an answer to the above question.
      26 “And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
      27 “And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate” (Daniel 9:26-27 KJV).
This passage gives the time of the Messiah’s sacrificial death, and what this will do – confirm the covenant and cause sacrifice and oblation to cease. There is some variation in the translation of gabar. Some will translate this as “confirm” and others have used “make a firm covenant.” Here is Strong’s:

Transliteration: gabar
   Vine's Words: Hero
   English Words used in KJV:
   prevail 14, strengthen 3, great 2, confirm 1, exceeded 1, mighty 1, put 1, stronger 1, valiant 1.   [Total Count: 25]
   a primitive root; to be strong; by implication to prevail, act insolently :- exceed, confirm, be great, be mighty, prevail, put to more [strength], strengthen, be stronger, be valiant.
   —Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary

To apply this term, the covenant is “confirmed” (KJV and NIV) and established.  It is not ended. The same covenant is now to continue with even greater authority.

Other translations are “to make a firm covenant” NASB or “enter into a strong and firm covenant” (Amplified Bible). Maybe there are others. Do these terms open the door to a “new covenant?” However, no other covenant has ever been made that is comparable with the everlasting covenant, “my covenant” formed in the council of the Godhead before the foundation of this world. If the covenant is made “strong or firm” it is not ended, it is strengthened!

The “New Covenant” at the Last Supper

“For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins” (Matthew 26:28 KJV).
      “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:28 NIV).
      “for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:28 NASB).
      “For this is My blood of the new covenant, which [ratifies the agreement and] is being poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:28 Amplified)
This is the one place where Jesus talks about the “testament” or “covenant.” These verses translate diatheke as either “new covenant (testament)” or as just “covenant.” In each verse the blood is “shed for many for the remission of sins.” There is only one covenant that focuses on the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and that is the everlasting covenant, or my covenant. Here are Strong’s notes on the translation:

Greek Strong's Number: 1242
   Transliteration: diatheke
   Vine's Words: Covenant
   English Words used in KJV:  covenant 20, testament 13.  [Total Count: 33]
   from <G1303> (diatithemai); properly a disposition, i.e. (special) a contract (especially a devisory will) :- covenant, testament.

Greek Strong's Number: 2537
   Transliteration: kainos
   Vine's Words: New
   English Words used in KJV: new 44.   [Total Count: 44]
   of uncertain affinity; new (especially in freshness; while <G3501> (neos) is properly so with respect to age) :- new.

Of the four translations I brought up, the KJV uses “new covenant,” the NASB and NIV just “covenant,” and the Amplified “new covenant” with the “new” in italics, meaning supplied.

In summary, Jesus confirmed the everlasting covenant by His sinless life, and by His sacrificial death. It was the same covenant held by faith in the Old Testament, and shown by fact in the New Testament.

When we understand what happened at the Cross and what it meant for Jesus to confirm the covenant, we will understand much more about the covenant generally, and a number of other issues will open up.
------------------------
To be continued . . . . . . . . . .

Hakim

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

Problems with Dispensationalism

1. Ten Commandment Law

Most Protestants will look on the ten commandment law as a part of the old covenant. And the Bible does equate the covenant with the commandments or tables of stone (Exodus 34:28; Deut. 4:13, 23; 9:9, 11, 15). If this covenant is done away at the cross, the ten commandment law is also done away. If pushed Protestants will say that the law of Christ has been expressed in various parts of the New Testament, but not the Sabbath commandment.

A person needs to realize several things. The historical old covenant lasted but a short time and never resumed official status. The covenant offered by God, “my covenant” is everlasting and was the covenant of Adam and Eve, of Abraham, and of Israel throughout their history.

Second, there is much Bible evidence that the nation of Israel, in rejecting their Messiah, also forfeited their status as the Chosen People. The Christian Church is now the “Israel” of God (Gal. 3:29) and hold the privileges and responsibilities of the covenant – including the ten commandment law. Finally, God is not a respecter of persons. He does not have two means of salvation – only through the name of Jesus and His shed blood are sinners saved.

2. Fault in the Old Covenant

William Johnsson, a well known Adventist writer,  says that there was fault with the response of the people. Many will agree with him. He goes on to admit that the "old covenant" itself was deficient. This requires careful definition as to just what the “old covenant” was.

When God gave the covenant in Exodus 19:4-6 He gave a perfect covenant offering power to live a holy life through grace. God does not have a faulty work, ever!  The people responded by their human promises “All that the Lord has said we will do.” This response was faulty because humans cannot keep the law of God without grace through faith. God accepted this as “a covenant” but not as “my covenant.” God will work with people where they are if their intentions are good. Thus, He accepted these promises as “a covenant” and allowed a ratification ceremony with animal sacrifices. This was a singular event, as “my covenant” can be confirmed only by the willing sacrifice of Jesus Christ on Calvary. This was the classic, historical, old covenant which lasted until the people defied God in their heathen festival at the base of Sinai.

In the perception of Paul, the covenant of works was manifested by rote keeping of the law, meticulous observation of the sacrifices and rituals (John 5:45, 46; 9:28, 29), and a dependence on their descent from Abraham (John 8:33) as a means of salvation.  They had forgotten the Messiah to whom these things pointed. In Hebrews chapters eight to ten Paul shows that salvation comes only through the true sacrifice of Jesus on Calvary.  The sacrifices of animals can never, of themselves, save from sin.

New Covenant has come to be a descriptive term to describe the covenant of grace. It has a historical background, but the term can also be read as “renewed” covenant.
Old Covenant has also come to be a descriptive term for all forms of legalism or works-religion. It too has a historical background.

3. Ellen White on the New Covenant

Ellen White speaks of two covenants.  “The covenant of grace was first made with man in Eden,.... This same covenant was renewed to Abraham in the promise, ‘In thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.’.... Though this covenant was made with Adam and renewed to Abraham, it could not be ratified until the death of Christ ... yet when ratified by Christ, it is called a new covenant...”  After they broke the covenant in their heathen festival at Sinai, the people “now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant, and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings.... Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant.”  (White EG: Patriarchs and Prophets, 370-373).

Ellen White does not say much about the “old covenant” except that it was formed between God and Israel at Sinai. God accepted their attempt at keeping the commandments as a lesson they needed to learn of their need of grace.  This “classic old covenant” lasted “only a few weeks.” This was the historical old covenant. The “experiential old covenant” is a part of the sinful nature of man ever since Eden and will last until Jesus comes again (Skip MacCarty: In Granite or Ingrained). That is another story!
--------------------------
to be continued part three ................
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up