Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hummus  (Read 5209 times)

Yevgeny

Hummus
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »

I've found that it's nice to be able to make my own hummus and flavor it as I wish - although I do use the ingredients on the commercial products as idea-generators!  It's a lot cheaper, too, to make my own. 

The foundation is garbanzo flour, often sold at quite reasonable prices in Indian markets in the United States as Besam or something similar (the clerk may be able to help you if you describe it as chick pea flour).  For fundamentals, add some olive oil, lemon juice, sesame tahini, water, and ground / roasted red pepper.  You can use cayenne pepper for the red pepper if its your taste preference, but I find a much milder pepper available at inexpensive rates in Asian markets. 

After that, I pretty much do whatever whim I may have at the moment.  It's my opinion that garlic is always a terrific taste, as is onion, and often a bit of dill or parsley.  Ginger provides a pleasant element and I'll often slip a bit of cumin in.  I'd write down proportions, if I knew them!  It's a failing of mine that I never make it the same way twice... sometimes I'd give a lot to be able to reproduce a particularly good batch!  What we had for supper had some nutritional yeast mixed in (it was another whim - I thought the tastes would work well together!) and it was, indeed, tasty.

For eating it, I like to use saltines for dipping in it or use it as a sandwich spread.  Of course, there are other, more traditional ways. 

Anyone have recommendations for ingredients you've found enjoyable? 

GRAT

Re: Hummus
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »

I really like fresh dill and have also added plain Greek yogurt.  Don't know if the Greek is different from plain American type.  Just happened to find it when I was making some.  Also, lots of fresh garlic.  Does the flour make it different from putting cans of garbanzo beans through the blender?  That is what I have always done.

Emma

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »

I like the soundof the flavour  of all this.  :thumbsup:

I have an idea that Greek yoghurt has a higher fat content than other kinds, but I could be wrong on that.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »

Emma, you are right about Greek yogurt being higher in fat. Here is a good article about Greek yogurt: www.wisegeek.com/what-is-greek-yogurt.htm

GRAT

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »

Thank you for the info on Greek yogurt.  Never knew that but would explain why my hummus was so much better the first time when I used Greek yogurt than the second time I made it using plain yogurt.  Just didn't have that same taste the second time.  Now I know.  :puppykisses:  Guess you could leave it out for that number of calories.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

Has anyone tried chopped olives and peanut butter mixed in?  I need a good recipe for the now extinct "Sandwich Spread".  It had olives and peanut butter in it.  Maybe they used chick peas? 

Just a thought.

The dill sounds good.  I always had to mix the spread with mayonnaise or miracle whip.  I don't use that anymore, but I did.  Plus, I always had to load on the very tart kosher dills pickles!

I have to try this!

Yevgeny

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »

Dill is extra good - I like it, too.  I've tried diced olives, but had to mix them in gently at the end in order to keep them in a large enough size to affect the taste the way I wanted them to.  Cut kosher dills mixed in are another favorite - but one that I don't get made very often, for some reason. 

I've not tried blending the garbanzos, but I see no reason why it's not a perfectly fine approach - sounds like an excellent idea!  Since I've not used the blended the garbanzo route, I'm not able to say how the flour compares, but the hummus made with flour is quite smooth. 

The flavors that are carried particularly well with a fat are significant and include garlic - which may be why the hummus made with Greek yogurt tasted so much better and why I like to use a good olive oil... in moderation, of course! 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

1 can garbanzos
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. tahini
1 clove garlic

Whiz in the blender, using enough liquid from the can of garbanzos to allow it to whiz.

Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle parsley on top.

We got this recipe from an Arab chef while living on the Arabian peninsula.

Roast a medium/good sized eggplant, peel off the (burnt) skin, take the flesh and mix in the same amount of lemon juice and tahini, drizzle olive oil and top with pomegranate seeds, and you have baba kanoush.

We roasted our eggplants by building a pine needle fire outside, with the eggplant inside, until the eggplant looked charred on the outside. Then wash and peel, and whiz in the blender.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »

Baba kanoush, yum... I made this once for some good friends, the husband absolutely did not like eggplant. He loved it! My husband, who also never eats eggplant, thought it was good. It is really good with warm toasted pita bread wedges.

Probably few of you know it, but Bob's wife has written a pure vetetarian cookbook.

Habanero

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »

1 can garbanzos
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. tahini
1 clove garlic

Whiz in the blender, using enough liquid from the can of garbanzos to allow it to whiz.

Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle parsley on top.

We got this recipe from an Arab chef while living on the Arabian peninsula.

Roast a medium/good sized eggplant, peel off the (burnt) skin, take the flesh and mix in the same amount of lemon juice and tahini, drizzle olive oil and top with pomegranate seeds, and you have baba kanoush.

We roasted our eggplants by building a pine needle fire outside, with the eggplant inside, until the eggplant looked charred on the outside. Then wash and peel, and whiz in the blender.

Wow! I love baba kanoush and have seldom found anyone who even knew what it was. "Baba Ka who?" The pine needle roasting would add an incredible flavour to it. I will try that.

I will also try the hummus recipe, but will add some whizzed up fire-roasted jalapeno peppers and cilantro instead of parsley. I think it would be great on fresh corn tortillas.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »

Habanero;

Shame on you!  My mouth is burning and salivating just thinking of "...fire-roasted jalapeno peppers and cilantro instead of parsley..."    :hot:

Why is it I keep coming back to this Hummus thing?  :scratch:  My mouth is watering as I type!

I gotta try it!    :thumbsup: It used to be brought to pot luck, but looked gross to me so I never tasted it.  I am so sorry now!  :dunno:

I do love eggplant so I will try Bob's baba kanoush!
Bob,

Did you roast them on a grill or just start a fire in a ground pit?  How lond did it take?I don't have a BBQ grill.  Will broiling it in the oven work without the pine needles?  (Well, a fire in the oven with pine needles wouldn't be to good huh?) 

I could have someone dig a hole for a fire.  I used to roast buttered ears of corn in Aluminium foil in a pit fire while roasting hot dogs on sticks in Labrador.  Mum good!  I know now it is not good to use foil for cooking and preserving food!

Every Sabbath we drove 1/2 tank of gas off to get to any destination.  Then we would pick a spot for the kids to have fun in nature.  We would then have vespers and roast Vejelinks and roast corn and have vegetarian ( Not Pork) beans.  We would take every one that wanted to go!  We had a vehicle that slept 6, had a bathroom and water.  The vehicle would be piled up with kids!  We had to put make a special board cover across the stove and sink to make more sitting room.  Once we had close to 30 kids!  Lots of corn, hot dogs, beans, and chips!  I had to import Vege food.  It did not come cheap!

Memories...

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »

Mom said to use a grill. I don't remember what we used.

You can broil them in the oven, but it isn't quite the same.

A guy named Mike used to call it Bob's Kanoush.

Habanero

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »

Ok, I have tried it and it is delicious! I fixed the hummus with the jalapenos and cilantro and then went to the tortilleria and got my corn tortillas fresh, hot and steaming. It was better than I could have imagined. I strongly recommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up