Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peanut Butter Roast  (Read 6699 times)

GRAT

Peanut Butter Roast
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »

My mom used to make this roast and it is kind of like nuteena (not sure of the spelling).  I thought of it when, I think it was Fran, wanted a recipe for sandwich spread like they used to sell in cans.  I think if you added stuff to it like chopped olives and pickles after it may be kind of like the sandwich spread.

Peanut Butter Roast

1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sage
1 cup Warm Water
1 cup Canned Tomatoes
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 cup Flour
4 Eggs  (maybe this would work with tofu instead?)

Mix first three ingredients with the water.  Mix tomatoes, corn starch and flour and add
in peanut butter mix.  Beat eggs and add in last.  Grease top of double boiler and pour in
roast mixture.  Steam this for 4 hours.  (or you can put in a greased, covered casserole
and set in a pan of water and bake in slow oven)

Fran

• Veteran Member
Re: Peanut Butter Roast
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »

Gotta try it!

Why does it have to cook for 4 hours?  If it is even close to that sandwich spread, I will kiss you!

Habanero

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »

I simply haven't found anything that reflects Nuteena mashed up with chopped olives, pickles and mayo. The discontinuation of Nuteena was a travesty. I am not a vegetarian, nor am I the least bit kosher, but I there are many vege foods I enjoy very much, and Nuteena was one of those.

Emma

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »

This recipe sounds much like something my mother used to make, which included Granola (an Oz version made by Sanitarium, the SDA health food company here) but no eggs.

She used to steam the roast, I have cooked it covered, in the microwave for about 20 minutes, with good results.

GRAT

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »

Don't know why the 4 hours except that maybe it takes that long to get done in the middle when steaming it.  Wouldn't want raw eggs in the center.
Was thinking and I would probably use tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes so you wouldn't have chunks of tomato.  Don't remember it with tomato chunks but don't remember everything 50 years ago.   :hot:

GRAT

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »

Here is another one I found in a cookbook.

Steamed Peanut Butter Roast

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sage
1 - 10 oz can tomato soup
2 cups water
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped (optional)

Mix well.  May be made in a blender.  Put into greased round tin and steam in a closed kettle over boiling water until set, about 1 hour.  Cut in slices.  Can be served hot or cold.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:34:39 AM »

I believe sage would have been one of the ingredients! 

Somehow I visualize Hummus and Peanut Butter Loaf combined. 

Then adding sage and olives.  I don't remember it having dill in it.  I do remember adding pickles to the sandwich though.

It did not have much peanut butter in it either.  I just barely tasted it.  I could see the chopped olives.  It must have had a bit of tomato something or a pinch pimento added (very tiny red chunks).  PB was not the primary taste.  That made me think Chick Peas with peanut butter added. 

Anybody ever done that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up