Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who was Gods representative on Earth, Job or Satan?  (Read 3509 times)

reddogs

Who was Gods representative on Earth, Job or Satan?
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »

Who was Gods representative on Earth, Job or Satan?

I was talking to a friend of mine on God allowing Job to suffer, and yes he said it wasnt God that did it. But then he said a suprising thing, he said that Satan was actually trying to present himself as the representative from earth and God was saying no I dont think so, and have you seen my 'true representive" on earth, my servant Job?......

Job's First Test

6 One day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
13 One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 14 a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, 15 and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
16 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
17 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart. [c]
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised." 22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. Job 1:6-22

GrammieT

Re: Who was Gods representative on Earth, Job or Satan?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »

At that point in time Satan was the representative of Earth to God, not God's representative on Earth because he (satan) had stolen earth from Adam who would have been Earth's true representative and God's representative to Earth but for the theft!  :rabbit: Job was a citizen of earth who was doing his best to serve God with all of his heart,   :praying:  but he was not God's representative on earth any more than any of us are God's representatives to earth today.   :oops:

As I reread this prior to posting, I realize that both Job's position (in his time) and our position (in our time) in the earth absolutely is that of God's Representative on Earth.  It behooves us to live in such a way that we represent Him rightly to those who do not know Him.  What does your and my life tell those around us what kind of God our heavenly Father is? (This is a rhetorical question.  :hot:    :console:    :help:    :wave:   :hamster:)

GrammieTana   :dogwag:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Who was Gods representative on Earth, Job or Satan?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

Well now, if we think about it, we will see that up until the time of Christ where he tempted Jesus in the wilderness with the kingdoms of this world(already His own), satan has laid claim to the earth, since man fell.  So yes when God called all of His representatives, satan had the nerve to show up as the representative from earth.  Just as satan laid claim to man, and Jesus was sent to redeem us.

For those who are familiar, think about the white witch in the Cronicles of Narnia.  She laid claim to the boy's life because he was a traitor, he sinned.  She also laid claim to Narnia for a while.

So GrammieT is right, satan was never God's representative from earth.  He just claim dominion when man followed him instead of God.  But God did have someone He consider His representative and that was Job.  He said to satan, "have you considered my servant Job?". 

One thing we must remember, that just like in the story of Job, we should not take into consideration or put any value in the claims of satan.  God did not even bother to acknowledge his claim.  We must continue to believe that "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, the world and they that dwell therein".   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:58:49 PM by princessdi »
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up