Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can you sin and have a heart that is perfect with God?  (Read 4001 times)

reddogs

How can you sin and have a heart that is perfect with God?
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »

How can you sin and have a heart that is perfect with God?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was reading the lesson on David and Bathsheba, it dawn on me how much sin David was capable of and yet the scriptures says he was a 'man after God's own heart'. How can that be, how was his heart 'perfect with the Lord' and yet he was sinning?

"....His heart "was perfect with the Lord" and "the Lord God of hosts was with him."
David ... grew great, and the LORD God of hosts was with him. 2 Sam.5:10 His [Solomon's] heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 1 Kg.11:4, 15:3

He walked in God's ways and kept his statutes.
And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days. 1 Kg.3:14

And (with the exception of the matter of Uriah the Hitite) he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord in his every act throughout his lifetime.
Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite. 1 Kg.15:5

He was, according to Acts, a man after God's own heart.
And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the [son] of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. Acts 13:22 (See also 1 Sam.13:14) .....excerpts from Dwindling In Unbelief, A Man after Gods own heart"

GrammieT

Re: How can you sin and have a heart that is perfect with God?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

My understanding of this situation is that because David always came to God to confess his sin, (albeit it took Nathan to remind him that he needed to confess not only to God but to his people as well for his sin with Bathsheba)  David was obedient to His heavenly Father and had a heart right with God because of God's forgiveness not because David was sinless. 

It took me a long time to come to a realization that David was truly a man after God's own heart because he was always and ever going 'after' the heart of God in confession of his known sins.  When I came to this understanding, I then could accept the Psalms of comfort written to those who were 'righteous' because God's love is for everyone who seeks it on that basis, not from being righteous in their own power.

GrammieTana   :dogwag:

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »

"But the history of David furnishes no countenance to sin. It was when he was walking in the counsel of God that he was called a man after God's own heart. When he sinned, this ceased to be true of him until by repentance he had returned to the Lord" (PP 723).

GrammieT

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »

"But the history of David furnishes no countenance to sin. It was when he was walking in the counsel of God that he was called a man after God's own heart. When he sinned, this ceased to be true of him until by repentance he had returned to the Lord" (PP 723).

:TY:  Bro. Pickle:

:goodpost:  I concur with your opinion on this subject.   :amen:

:hamster:  Still on the wheel of the learning curve  :hot:  :wave:

:purr:  Grammie Tana    :dogwag: 

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:55:06 PM »

Ok, forgive me, but David was a "man after God's own heart"  occasionally......conditionally?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up