Theology Category > Doctrinal Discussions

Can we hate the sin and still love the sinner?

(1/6) > >>

reddogs:
Can we hate the sin and still love the sinner?

I always thought this was simple for every Christian, to "hate the sin but still love the sinner". Many of my friends, classmates, and even family, got involved in paths that led to sin including what for many in South Florida is a age old profession, smuggling.

They got into the drug smuggling, transportation and drug use. We had one of our classmates that was incapacitated by drug use just before our graduation and we refused to let him be left behind, and forced school administration to let him graduate with the rest of his class. We always felt that right or wrong, we would stick throught thick or thin and love our 'brother' no matter what 'sin' he had done, as some of us had been together since our first day of school....

Thus as I came across other individuals that had fallen into the domain of vice and sin, I applied the same principle of "hating the sin but still love the sinner", but sometimes its not that easy. When they steal and it affects you directly, or from the affects of who knows what damage your car, or commit adultery, is it still easy to love them........

What are your thoughts?

GrammieT:

--- Quote from: reddogs on September 20, 2008, 02:40:24 AM ---Can we hate the sin and still love the sinner?

I always thought this was simple for every Christian, to "hate the sin but still love the sinner". Many of my friends, classmates, and even family, got involved in paths that led to sin including what for many in South Florida is a age old profession, smuggling.

They got into the drug smuggling, transportation and drug use. We had one of our classmates that was incapacitated by drug use just before our graduation and we refused to let him be left behind, and forced school administration to let him graduate with the rest of his class. We always felt that right or wrong, we would stick throught thick or thin and love our 'brother' no matter what 'sin' he had done, as some of us had been together since our first day of school....

Thus as I came across other individuals that had fallen into the domain of vice and sin, I applied the same principle of "hating the sin but still love the sinner", but sometimes its not that easy. When they steal and it affects you directly, or from the affects of who knows what damage your car, or commit adultery, is it still easy to love them........

What are your thoughts?

--- End quote ---

No, Reddog: 

It certainly is not easy,  :rabbit:  but it is required if we want to be an influence for good in that persons life   :console: . . . . or if we want to be an example of the Father's Love to those around us   :help:.  We must even be willing to suffer hurt to our disadvantage if I read scripture correctly. :hot: :hot: :praying: :praying: :praying:

Yup, I'm still on the wheel here too! :hamster:  :hot: :hot: :praying:

But Father God is working with me and loves me far beyond what I am worth to myself and maybe even others because of what His Son paid for me at Calvary!  :console:  :amen:

:TY:  Father God for Your Son, Jesus and His willigness to sacrifice His life for me because He loved me.   :praying:

GrammieT :dogwag:

Johann:

--- Quote from: reddogs on September 20, 2008, 02:40:24 AM ---Can we hate the sin and still love the sinner?

What are your thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Will you still bail out your friend after he has mis-used your friendship uncountable times?

bonnie:
[quote
Will you still bail out your friend after he has mis-used your friendship uncountable times?
[/quote]

Is it a sign of not loving someone if you do not bail them out of trouble after repeated times you have bailed them out?
Maybe loving them is allowing them the consequences of their actions while you still be friend and stand by them.

princessdi:
All great posts thus far.  I am with Bonnie, though, tough love comes in with the repeat offenders.  You can still love them, but you cannot become codependent.  More often than not, they need to hit rock bottom and fully feel the consequences for the actions.  Nothing says you cant' love them trough it.  Perhaps visiting or writing them in prison/jail, encouraging them along the way.  God let David fell the full brunt of his actions, but never stopped loving him, did he not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version