Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kim Chee Dip  (Read 3442 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Kim Chee Dip
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Kim Chee Dip

Kim chee is the most common vegetable side dish eaten at every Korean meal with rice. Kimchi is also a common ingredient and combined with other ingredients to make dishes such as kimchi stew (kimchi jjigae) and kimchi fried rice (kimchi bokkeumbap). Kimchi is so common in Korea cuisine that the Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI) developed space kimchi to accompany the first Korean astronaut to the Russian-manned space ship Soyuz

Yum, yum, yum! I was talking with a friend online and we both love to eat kim chee. Kim chee also makes a great dip!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup                   chopped kim chee*
     1 tablespoon            kim chee juice
     1 pkg (8 oz)             Tofuti Better Than Cream cheese, quartered

Method:
Put all ingredients into blender; cover and blend 1 minute. Chill. Serve with crisp vegetables or chips. Makes 1 cup.

* Make your own kim chee:

I prefer fresh kim chee, this is an easy way to make it, with ingredients you can find at your local grocery store.

Makes about 1 quart
Ingredients:

1 lb      chinese (Nappa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch
                pieces (about 4 cups)
     6 Tbs    salt
     4          green onions (including tops), finely chopped
     1 tsp     fresh ginger, finely chopped
     1 clove  garlic, minced
     1 Tbs    sugar
     1 Tbs    paprika
                Cayenne pepper to taste
                2 cups water

Procedure:

Sprinkle the cabbage with 5 tablespoons of the salt. Let stand for 2 hours. Rinse off salt and drain. Add the green onions, ginger, garlic, sugar, paprika, the remaining salt and a dash of cayenne pepper, and mix thoroughly. Pack the vegetables in a jar and pour in the water. Cover tightly. Refrigerate the vegetables for 24 hours before serving.

Habanero

Re: Kim Chee Dip
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »

Mmmm!!! Sounds good! How about daikon kim chee? Do you make that too?

I use Kim chee in many things. Chopped up in hot dogs, in soup, with rice, and cabbage kim chee is a great thing to wrap various foods in. I have even made kim chee matzo balls.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »

No, I have never made daikon kim chee, but I like picked daikon. I really like the chinese cabbage one the best. It makes an excellent breakfast with a bowl of rice and some scrambled tofu! Of course that is only for me, my husband is not a kim chee fan. Before we were married we visited my parents and I had kim chee, rice and nori for breakfast. He asked me to move further away from him at the table. He said my breakfast smelled like an aquarium! LOL! Now I only eat things like that when he is away a few days for business. When he returns it is back to "regular" breakfast foods.

Habanero

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:40:10 AM »

Lol! Sounds like a delightful breakfast. Of course your husband would really be thinking aquarium as I might be inclined to add sashimi.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »

Even when I ate fish, I never had any desire for sashimi. When my brother-in-law goes fishing with my nephew, he sometimes cuts the fresh catch and has sashimi right there at the waters edge. That is about as fresh as you can get it, unless you are willing to bite into a fish as it swims by you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up