Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A man in need of prayer  (Read 9174 times)

mrst53

A man in need of prayer
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »

I met a man today, named Michael, who said he spent 8 years in a SDA church in WV and then left. Afterwards he became an atheist. I don't know what happened and he didn't elaborate, but he believes that all religions are make believe. I don't know if he was a Christian before he entered the SDA church or not. He believes in Darwinism and can't believe that God created the world in His time. Ezekial was just on a "bad trip".  I feel he must have been badly hurt by someone to turn away from God the way he has. I don't know how often I will come in contact with him, but many of the senior citizens at the center believe in God, so hopefully, we will be ably to witness to him. So please keep him and prayer and me too.

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: A man in need of prayer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »

Mrst53,

That is a very sad situation when that happens. Maybe you can convince him that in order to believe in religion that it is "impossible" to do when we look at 'man' especially when cruel things happen. One must learn to be an individual and not a follower with a determined desire to find truth if we are to exist in a worldly society and for eternity and only trust in God and Holy Spirit.  Religion is not an emotion on a roll where it is gone the next day where once saved always saved, but a belief and desire to know God day after day to grow especially when all else is gone. Very few walk the talk and therefore we cannot look to no one.  Believe me at times I have felt too that God left me behind while firery trials seemed to consume. It's because we just can't figure out what all God has in His plans. This may be this mans test.  If I did not believe or realize His promises, I don't think I could make it either. So we only get out of belief of what we put in to it. The 10 commandments are the right way to go and give it a new start.  One day at a time. It's a road of bumps and curves. But we must choose the right signs to follow as we are the driver.
Tell him it is ok to drive again after an accident  (smile). 

Johann

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

I met a man today, named Michael, who said he spent 8 years in a SDA church in WV and then left. Afterwards he became an atheist. I don't know what happened and he didn't elaborate, but he believes that all religions are make believe. I don't know if he was a Christian before he entered the SDA church or not. He believes in Darwinism and can't believe that God created the world in His time. Ezekial was just on a "bad trip".  I feel he must have been badly hurt by someone to turn away from God the way he has. I don't know how often I will come in contact with him, but many of the senior citizens at the center believe in God, so hopefully, we will be ably to witness to him. So please keep him and prayer and me too.
:(

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

This is sad.  Mostly I believe that while the person is responsible for their own relationship with God, that the church(or at least some members), have a hand in this, also.  this man does sound as if he had some kind of serious issue.  this is why we have to be so careful what we are teaching people, and that it is "Thus Saith the Lord" ONLY!!!   

Now, there is a man I know who was born and raised SDA, and left for about 30 years and became atheist.  He is back now, though.  He was just into some serious rebellion on his own.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

I have noticed that when Michael sits at the piano and plays music, most of the music he plays is Christian and Gospel music-funny music for a guy who says he is an atheist- maybe we are getting to him :praying:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »

He sounds more agnostic then athiest.  We will keep praying........."The Lord inhabits the praises of His People".
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »

Today, when I was talking to the Catholic woman, Michael was sitting next to her, and when I said she didn't have to work for her salvation, he piped up and said, no, its grace, by faith.  For a man, who says he doesn't believe, he seems very interested in our discussions. Keep praying.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:29 PM »

Gurl, I believe the Holy Spirit is leading your testimony even within his ear shot!  Amen!!  You might, also, have hit the nail on the head.  Sometimes orginzed religion makes it hard to be a Christian with all those do's and don'ts, when it is so very simple.

mfc10

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »

Will pray for him!

mrst53

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up