Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Positive SDA News Story  (Read 22141 times)

Maxey

Re: A Positive SDA News Story
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »

I remember where I was when the Blazers won that year almost as clearly as when I heard about President Kennedy being shot and the walk on the moon.  Guess I'm showing my age.  My son played basketball in Academy and it was a very positive experience.  I don't buy the competition thing.  We start it in grade school with spelling bees.  All of life is a competition.  Watch as your children apply to graduate school or LLU.   It is a good thing if they have learned to win or lose gracefully.

Dead on Grat!  It has always interested me to see the sportsmanship of the athletes as contrasted with how the parents behave.  The ability to win or lose gracefully is an important lesson for life. 

Maxey

Johann

Re: A Positive SDA News Story
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »

Communication at Core of Effective Governance,
 Church Financial Officers Say
Document stresses transparency, accountability among Adventist leadership

BY ELIZABETH LECHLEITNER, Adventist News Network

Open communication lies at the core of effective governance, Paul Douglas told delegates at Seventh-day Adventist world church headquarters on October 13, 2011, during Annual Council business meetings.

Douglas, who directs the church’s Auditing Service, is among church financial officers continuing their call for increased transparency and accountability among Adventist leadership worldwide.

“In a Christian organization there is a greater expectation for each person—but particularly leaders—to demonstrate exemplary behavior in financial matters, ensuring that they conform to biblical principles, legal parameters, professional standards, and denominational policies,” Douglas said.

Douglas and world church treasurer Robert E. Lemon first presented a collaborative document called “Transparency and Accountability in Financial Reporting” earlier this year. Annual Council delegates took the next step to promote and model its framework in their home fields by voting to receive the document.

TRANSPARENCY: Adventist world church Auditing Service director Paul Douglas is among leaders of the General Conference who are stressing the importance of transparency in financial reporting. Here Douglas is shown after his election at the 2010 General Conference session. [ANN File Photo/ Robert East].

The document encourages church officials worldwide to foster a better culture of leadership, outlining what it calls the “credibility cycle.” Accountable leadership and transparent auditing build greater trust among all church stakeholders. Practically, it means members feel confident returning tithes and offerings, because they see that funds are handled judiciously.

The document is the product of a task force comprised of Lemon, Douglas, North American Division treasurer Tom Evans, and Robyn W. Kajiura, associate director for the world church’s Auditing Service. Initially the document responded directly to then-unresolved audit findings. It’s now meant to apply broadly to the Adventist Church’s organizational culture.

“Transparency and accountability encompass much more than just financial activities,” said world church president Ted N. C. Wilson. The document includes a message from the world church leader, calling for a “high level of integrity” to inspire “confidence in leadership.”

Also included in the document are thoughts from world church secretary G. T. Ng, who said that “transparency must remain the default position of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.”

At Adventist business meetings earlier this year church financial officials asked delegates to suggest ways leadership worldwide can foster an environment of transparency. Their ideas are listed in the document delegates reviewed October 12.

“Set a personal example,” one delegate said. “Ensure openness,” another said. “Diminish the risk of people being afraid to talk just because of organizational structure or lack of communication channels.”

Many delegates called for increased leadership training, underscoring the idea that leaders should be “stewards” of their positions.

“We need to change the culture and the way we do business,” one said. “We cannot assume that those who are spiritual are also ethical and moral. There needs to be proper training.”

The document is set for distribution in each of the church’s 13 world divisions, where it can be translated into local languages, Lemon said.

“We intended to make the document similar in size to the Bible study guide, so you’ll review it every day,” Douglas said.
 Currently the document is undergoing a final revision to include suggestions from delegates. It will be available in January, Douglas said.

Carlos Medley webmaster@adventistreview.org via pc1.postmailman.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up