Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesson 6 Ethnicity  (Read 13795 times)

Johann

Lesson 6 Ethnicity
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

It was not until I had been a missionary in Africa for some years that it dawned on me that missionaries had often been proclaiming the advantage of western culture and ethnicity along with the Gospel.

Senior male members of the church appeared on Sabbath morning soaked in black suits, white shirts and tie, because missionaries had taught them this was how one should be dressed on Sabbath. Outside on the street men were walking in native costumes that were neat and much more appropriate for the tropical climate. In several ways I saw how church members had been converted even more to western culture than to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I understand it was a great awakening for the Seventh-day Adventist Church when leaders discovered that some of our churches in China seemed more like American societies than Christian congregations, but I understand that when foreign missionaries were banned our native leaders realized how matters stood and created a reformation of Christian values in a Chinese setting.

If you got this far in my notes, then forget what I wrote, and dive into the study of this week's lesson!

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
Re: Lesson 6 Ethnicity
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »

Here is the link to the Lesson Study Material for this week's study:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/08a/less06nkjv.html

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

What did you think of the story in the Sabbath Afternoon section, especially where it involved ingesting blood?

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »

What did you think of the story in the Sabbath Afternoon section, especially where it involved ingesting blood?

It showed that the person had a lot of courage. Don't know that I'd have been able to get the potion down. Trouble is, I visualise things as I read, and that potion just came too real to me, to be able to stomach it.

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »

Well, Peter was ordered to eat all sorts of nasty beasts, but the Lord didn't make him go through with it.

This was different. I believe it was possible only by the grace of God. (No other way would it be possible for me!!!!  :-X :-X
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Johann

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »

A friend of ours was a vegetarian, but when he was sent to a mission field in the North region he had to eat the meat of seals - an unclean animal. I may have eaten some seaweeds in stead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up