Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: International crisis  (Read 5015 times)

Johann

International crisis
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »

As most of you know, Congress is convening a round-the-clock confab over
the next few days to deal with the grave financial crisis that the USA
now faces.  Both presidential candidates are back in DC and the Senate and
the House are tugging back and forth on whether to accept the current
proposals put forward by the Bush Administration and the Federal Reserve.

I'm not sure where each of you come down on the issues at hand, but
this is a critical time in this country's economic future.  I hate to be
melodramatic, but in my estimation, there is a fragility and volatility in
our economy and our government right now that makes scary,
Daniel-and-Revelation things possible (the part of Revelation that predicts
a world economy where no one can buy or sell without the mark comes to
mind).  The forces of darkness are there on Capitol Hill, as well as the
forces of God.  I urge you all to pray earnestly over the next few days
that God's wisdom prevails and that God's will happens.

This is NOT about one political party prevailing or getting some
advantage, for God is probably equally amused and disgusted by both of
our country's parties.  This is about something way bigger, and the
historical truth that civilizations tend to veer in new, often disturbing directions
during times of major economic crises.

And I'm not talking about a quick, general prayer on Sabbath or Sunday
morning for our nation's leaders.  What I now advocate is a long,
contemplated talk with God about what the USA and the world are doing and
need, and a petition to God to exert His great and good power.

Jason T

-----------------------------

Fran

• Veteran Member
Re: International crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »

You are so right, Johann,  We do need to pray!

It seems to me Gailon posted, quite a while back, about this very subject.  He was right on.  Good people are loosing their homes because of others mistakes.  This is not good.

It seems our whole financial system is at risk.  I too believe the end is near.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »

It seems to me Gailon posted, quite a while back, about this very subject.  He was right on.  Good people are loosing their homes because of others mistakes.  This is not good.

There is no denying what is going on, I really take exception to so many saying that all these good people are losing their homes because of someone else.

Most of these homeowners are complicit in their own woes.. This is not a current sudden problem, it has been building for a long time
My son is in the mortgage industry as well as a friend of mine.  His wife works at a bank and they have known of the problem for a longtime.

When it was decided that all had a right to be a homeowner it began the problem. There is no automatic RIGHT bestowed on anyone to own a home.
When banks were told they needed to loan money to a high risk loan party or they were quilty of discrimination they complied. Why not as the federal government promised to back the bad loans.
Those that have benefited the most are now whining the loudest.

Many, many people bought way above their means and ability to pay. It is like their responsibility would stop with the signing of papers.
The ones in government that was responsible for this continuing unabated for so long. Even before Clintion, some of this began with Carter. Those on the dole and receiving so much in donations from Freddi Mac and Fanny Mae are the very ones whining the loudest about having to stop the fat cats. Look to Dodd and what he received and second in dollar amount is none other than Obama.

Be interesting to see where this leads

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Michael Kopper

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »

you just ooze with compasion  it would be interesting to see how your tone changes it you were loosing your home

There is no denying what is going on, I really take exception to so many saying that all these good people are losing their homes because of someone else.

Most of these homeowners are complicit in their own woes.. This is not a current sudden problem, it has been building for a long time
My son is in the mortgage industry as well as a friend of mine.  His wife works at a bank and they have known of the problem for a longtime.

When it was decided that all had a right to be a homeowner it began the problem. There is no automatic RIGHT bestowed on anyone to own a home.
When banks were told they needed to loan money to a high risk loan party or they were quilty of discrimination they complied. Why not as the federal government promised to back the bad loans.
Those that have benefited the most are now whining the loudest.

Many, many people bought way above their means and ability to pay. It is like their responsibility would stop with the signing of papers.
The ones in government that was responsible for this continuing unabated for so long. Even before Clintion, some of this began with Carter. Those on the dole and receiving so much in donations from Freddi Mac and Fanny Mae are the very ones whining the loudest about having to stop the fat cats. Look to Dodd and what he received and second in dollar amount is none other than Obama.

Be interesting to see where this leads

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:57:43 AM »

you just ooze with compassion it would be interesting to see how your tone changes it you were loosing your home

If you are implying that we have not had tough economic times,you are way off base. At one point we had 125.00 more going out a month than coming in. Didn't much like it,but my husband then took another 8 hour a day job.Worked night and day. I had day care,because we couldn't make it on him working just one job. No one owed us a way out.

When people cannot add and subtract when buying a home,they should take someone competent with them. We have family and friends in the mortgage industry.
They have said for a very longtime that the easy money,to much home for the income and no documentation required would come back and bite and bite hard.

Yet the mortgage was required to give mortgages to those that could not afford the mortgage in the Long term
Under the irresponsible notions that owning a home was RIGHT to any and all. It wasn't and isn't. Owning a home is a privilege that comes after hard work and responsible financial behaviour

PS. As a child we did lose our home. Totally out of my parents control,so do have some personal experience with how it felt. No one bailed us out

edited to correct spelling and to add PS

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:36:13 AM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

Please note that this is a prayer topic, not a debate topic, or it needs to be moved from the Prayer Circle forum.

Emma

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »

Whatever the cause of the current crisis, Johann's original post stands.  People losing their homes is sad, but not the big issue.  That issue is what steps the powers that
be are going to take to try to rectify the situation.

We need to pray that the right decisions - whatever that may be - are made, and also that we ourselves are ready to meet whatever comes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up