Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinka's Recipe for Apple Pie  (Read 3396 times)

Emma

Tinka's Recipe for Apple Pie
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »

Buttercups,
First of all the basics I start with usually comes from about an acre of garden of growing everything. I am not doing these things right now but for all the homemaking years. Learn to fix everything very simple and tasty. Know what to put together.  What I am working on right now is a hot dog that taste really close to real. There is none on the market that I can stomach. vegetarian. I just need to get the texture a little more right. Also I make hamburger patties freeze them in large batches. They are still good at a year old I discovered a pack hidden and tried them. Still good!! Always have them on hand for company, used them at weddings, etc. Those recipes I won't share because if I can get the hot dog perfected, I want to put it on the market along with the burgers. I also am working out to what I think is good in texture and taste.  I have a friend that might help me market as that end of things I do not know.  I am not into soy beans at all unless just a very small quantity as most come from genetically engineered. Seed is hardly healthy unless you grow it yourself from organic or heirloom seeds impossible to eat healthy. Of course in Lev. it told not to mess with the creation of seed of which they must have even back then or it would not have mentioned it. So that leaves you more or less to work with just the simple things. I like to work with gluten but not much in a recipe. It is the procedure on how you cook it. The sausage is easy. I do start out from scratch with this. You can make it taste like breaded veal, sausage it just takes the right seasoning and cooking procedures. I cook each twice in two different ways to get what I want out of it. The first cooking will last refridgerated for at least 2 weeks and then you can do the second cooking when ever. This way you always have good food on hand prepared ahead and always ready for pop in company.  I make meatloafs and have basics to use for cabbage rolls. Hot stuffed Joe's, Chili and Chili sauce for the hot dogs. Everything is from veg, grains, nuts except I do use some gluten but not a whole lot. I do have to say that none of this came quick but years of trying to fix very tasty dishes where you could not hardly tell the difference because of a huge family that did eat just the clean meats and very picky. I like to fool them sometimes. Actually my back ground is Slovenian and cooking was alway a must. It was never a pan, casserole, or dish but big roasters full. (Mock) Chicken and noodles, vegetable soup, and potatoes, carrots, celry, onions together fixed is always the most basic you can make that is very satisfying to take to Pot Luck in a whole roaster full. As all can be prepared the day before and so easy.

I can tell you what is really a big favorite dish that we have straight out of the garden and that is cut equal parts of garden onions, with equal parts, of green peppers, red, orange,yellow (butter) and cook until limp, have as many quartered tomatoes as you like that equal the onions and peppers, setting ready (raw) to mix in when onions and peppers are done. Put all the tomatoes on top and just mix in until tomatoes are warm and juicy. Now this looks pretty. I make as much as a gal or two in huge pan. I love this because when ever you go to the fair this is the smell that is familiar that they pour on to steak and meat sandwiches. But then after this is complete --just simple cooking  for  almost all raw veg. with a lot of tomatoes and juice is prepared I put it over or just dump large amount of rice mixed through. I have taken big roasters of this to church for Sabbath. I know most are not into the butter anymore, but I still go along with EGW stating that a little butter and milk to help out vegetables sometimes is just what she does to make it palatable. The only other thing you have in this fresh veg and rice dish is a little salt when cooking the rice. Even if you have rice the day before and left over you can always put it into the onion, peppers, and tomatoes.
I might add that I am very allergic to beans, peas, or legumes so I cook very simple and moderately. I will share my apple pie recipe with you because still everyone has their own technique and seems it comes out different even with the same recipe.

Please excuse this extra long recipe because I took it to the dentist office where the whole staff had some and the girls that never cooked or made apple pie asked me to fill in every detail so theirs could taste the same. I admit that Hydrogenated shortening is not the best but sometime I cut that and use butter instead. or half and half. I might add here that I only do this mouth watering pie about 2-3 times a year. As lemon, peach, and Black rasberry fill in at times. (Pumpkin is the best family recipe) and that is never, never, ever given out as our daughters under no circumstances give it either. None is better then this one. Great grandmother has passed it down.  I just love cooking.....but it has to be right (smile) I am my own critique..... Thank you for being friendly and hope you like the recipe. As it has taken first place in contests and at fair.HOpe it turns out alright for you.

MY OWN APPLE PIE     FROM  +++++++++

This recipe is for a deep 10” pie pan- nice to find a glass one or use aluminum in that size found at some grocery stores.  Kroger's is one

I start out by buying 1 nice size lemon and juice it before you start apples.

Usually a 3# bag of apples is sufficient.

The apples I used in that pie for the Dr. I picked up accidentally and didn't realize or did I ever see that brand before were called LAW ROME. Some other brands that work quite well also are Empire, Johnathon, McIntosh,  Some prefer Granny Smith. All though you might have to put a little more sugar in. They are more tart. Gala I have now found are the best!  The apples I used seemed to be very mild and I did not think at the time that it would have much taste but I liked it very much myself. A variance in apples tried will give a favorite taste to different people.  I had made ++++ one too and we had a piece before I came that day.

Wash the apples in case of any spray. I never use a peeler because I do not like the apple open with my hand all over it before I slice it. I cut the apple in quarters with small sharp paring knife. Take about 2-3 swipes to take off skin and then V the middle where seeds are.  Do not slice so thin but a quarter of apple will go about 3 slices.  Depending on how big the apple. Too thin makes mush.  As you start getting the apples sliced little by little start sprinkling on the lemon juice and make sure you roll the apples around so the lemon coats them.  Peel and slice more and do the same until all the apples are sliced and all lemon is gone.  Immediately prepare:

¾  to 1 cup white sugar with ¼  cup brown sugar. This decision on sugar comes from whether the apples seem a little tart or on how many apples you have heaped in the pie. I normally mound it up some because apples sink. Too much will cause the juice to bubble out and into your oven.  ADD: 3 good tablespoons of flour with about ¼ rounded teaspoon of cinnamon.  Mix the 4 dry ingredients well before dumping into all the apples.  Make sure mixture coats all the apples evenly. Do not over mix to break slices or etc. The lemon that has been sprinkled on before does two things.  Brings out flavor and keeps apples from turning brown.  Set a side and some apples will start to make their own juice while you prepare the crust.  The Law Rome that you tasted did not make so much juice, but a little.

CRUST:

This makes a good size ball of dough.  I also use two pieces of wax paper to roll the dough out in between the paper so that I can flip it over to get good uniform thickness.  Some times you will have to lift paper off a side that might become wrinkled and then straighten it.  Roll out even until you measure about 3 inches bigger then the brim of the 10 in pie plate all around.  I usually never cut or have any left over dough.  If it is a little big I make sure that the dough lays quite well in the depth of the pie plate and just fold under any excess all the way around.  It doesn't hurt because it gives you more to flute the edges high and make different designs for fluting if desired.  I did my quickie on the one you tried. Just place two fingers one way on the high excess dough and push with one finger on the other hand the opposite direction.  THE RECIPE:

2 cups Gold Medal flour
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon sugar – I use a small hand mixer to mix well flour, sugar, and salt
¾ cup Crisco –  Now use the hand mixer to mix until crumbly like you would using a fork. DO NOT OVER MIX the flour will look just granulated or crumbly and nicely mixed.
ADD: 5 TABLESPOONS WATER – Stir with fork lightly until you can pick up in ball. Place between lightly FLOURED papers and roll even until right size.  Take top paper off and lay uncovered side of dough down into pie plate. Now lift off bottom paper that is left laying on top.  Fold edges under and flute.  PLACE ALL APPLES AND MIXTURE INTO PIE PLATE.

TOP CRUST:

1 ½  cups flour
¾ cup brown sugar – mix well together then add
1 ½ stick COLD butter mix with hands until well crumbled.  Place crumbly mixture evenly over the whole pie leaving fluted edges free.  You should have a nice rounded or heaped pie that will cook down some.  The pie that you tasted was not as much as I usually have in a 10 pie. It looked more like store bought and this will be just a little thicker.

Have your oven preheated to 425* and bake for about 15 minutes then turn it down to 350* for 1 hour. Some times it takes longer depending on the apple thickness in the pie or the type of apple. The best way you can tell is that you will start to see the pie juice bubble somewhat through any hole that might see and the top looks nice and tan. If the top is getting to dark to fast turn the temp down and make sure your oven is correct in heating as far as you know. I have had some pies take up to 1 hr and ½.  Its best to watch because a pie is not to good if the apples are not done properly. I HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD LUCK AND ANY QUESTIONS  CALL ME PLEASE.  THIS IS MY TRADITIONAL AMERICAN APPLE PIE that goes with us on the 4th of July celebrations every year at the airport. I was also the pie baker at home when I grew up, not my mother –   I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS MANY YEARS AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MADE MYSELF CLEAR FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

NOTE:

Some people are becoming very aware of hydrogenated fats and so am I. You can replace Crisco by using either 2/3 cup oil in the pie crust and just mix to ball or 1 stick plus 2 tab. Butter for the shortening and mix the same as Crisco. I do not use any animal fats Old fashion days used butter or lard. The thought of Lard is awful to me.

tinka

• Veteran Member
Tinka's Garden to Dish Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:22:10 AM »

Don't like Broccoli??  Try this. Very simple. In fact the simpler the better.

Take 1 large bunch or head of Broccoli. Take your hand grater on the large hole side and grate it all. Salt the water that is just enough to cover shredded Broccoli. Lightly simmer for about 3-4 minutes while you are caramelizing 2 large onions with oil of choice. Either put in 1 can whole tomatoes or 4-6 large tomatoes into broccoli.
Cook over very low and low simmer for 15 minutes and before serving. Add pre cooked very small miniature shells,Or  miniature bow ties, or miniature dots of pasta. 1lb. of pasta may be too much. But you can determine by how much recipe this has made.  When serving you will have the taste of marzetti with some Parmesian cheese sprinkled on top. This will be more like a thicker soup. This is how we got our children and grandchildren to eat Broccoli. This is only 4 items plus salt
My hamburgers only consist of 5 items of food plus 1 GWB, When right matching of foods are put together you do not need to have so much seasoning to get the taste you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up