Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delicious Vegetarian Gravy  (Read 3279 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Delicious Vegetarian Gravy
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »

Delicious Vegetarian Gravy

"Honestly, this tastes better to me than the real thing. And, it is much better for you with less saturated fat and no cholesterol. The flavor will greatly depend on which broth or bouillon you use, so experiment a bit until you find one you like. It is great with mashed or roasted potatoes and goes well with a Tofurkey. This also works really well as a stew base--just add the cornstarch at the end when the veggies are cooked. It is very easy to prepare, and freezes perfectly, so we make huge batches so some is always ready. When you reheat from frozen, either run it through the blender or use a hand blender after thawing to regain a creamy consistency." --- Yobittles

SERVES 4 -6

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons flour (pretty much any kind, AP is fine)
2 tablespoons margarine (I like Smart Balance)
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1 vegetable bouillon cube (Omit this if you use broth. I like McCormick "chicken", but Knorr is also ok.)
1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce is not as good, but ok)
1 pinch thyme
fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water

Directions:

Whisk the margarine and flour together over low heat in a small saucepan for a few minutes until the flour is cooked and golden.
Add the water and bouillon or broth, tamari, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil while whisking often to keep it smooth.
Lower heat and simmer a minute or so.
Combine cornstarch and water and stir well to get rid of lumps. Whisking gravy briskly, pour into saucepan. Continue whisking until gravy returns to a boil and has thickened.

© 2008 Recipezaar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up