Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008 12 20 Relationship  (Read 7595 times)

Johann

2008 12 20 Relationship
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »

It has been a while since we have posted anything on the Sabbath School lessons. Shall we make a new attempt?

This week there will some interesting questions we could discuss. Ida and I have jusy gone through the Sabbath afternoon section - or the introduction to the lesson for next week, and we did not read it in English, so some of the expressions used may be different from what you read.

The lesson seems to deal with how we apply the atonement in creating a personal relationship with God.

If it wasn't for a birthday celebration I'd continue for quite a while, but will have to come back tomorrow or later. . .

Johann

Re: 2008 12 20 Relationship
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:54:19 AM »

Last night we attended two birthday celebrations. Some enjoy having birthdays this close to Christmas. And before we left we had delightful drop-by visitors, so I had to stop my writing. We always enjoy having children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren or anyone else peek in to see us. That is part of human relationship which reminds of the relationship the lesson deals with - as we are United with Christ.

A united family where love and understanding abounds is a great gift, and we are so fortunate. Not only do I have my own children whose mother died, but now I also have all the children of my second wife who accept me fully as if I was their father, and I feel the love they had for their father - who was my best boyhood friend.

This teaches me how Jesus Christ is the substitute for His Father because sin and death separates us.

Death becomes real because it is essential. Death must release us from the grips of Satan, our enemy, who prevents our Union. So in baptism we experience this death and a resurrection into the new relationship, and through Christ we have our Father.

The death of Christ must be real in our lives and experience, and the  lesson indicates the Holy Spirit is the agent which makes this real to us.

And then the Church is also a token of our Unity in Jesus Christ.

Will you consider this, and give us your comments as you contemplate what this unity means to you?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19:08 PM »

I'm game, Johann!  Getting ready for dinner now but will post tomorrow.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »

OK.

Where do we continue? Is baptism essential for salvation?

What is the real significance of baptism? Which  is more important, the death, burial, or resurrection?

How does this become real in our lives?

Stone dead or just something that resembles death?

What does it mean to be stone dead in baptism? Or is it unreal?

Half alive or real living?

Why go around half dead when we can bury you for $50? - An ad from  a what?

Are we born or adopted? Or both? How? Rom. 8:16.

What is the real difference between the old life and the new life?

Another question: I used the term "relationship". Can we use that word? I once heard a preacher calling that heresy. Was he right or wrong? I understood him saying that right doctrine was more important than a relationship. Which is really more important?

Do we become a new creature through the right doctrines or through a relationship?

Now I'd better quit, but there's more. . .

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »

Relationship is essential.  Relationship is everything.

Johann

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »

Relationship is essential.  Relationship is everything.

Good. And what it the relationship between doctrines and a relationship?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

One fellow that liked emphasizing the importance of having a relationship with God also raised questions about whether Revelation's description of the New Jerusalem was true, and whether Peter wrote 1 Peter and 2 Peter.

I asked him, "How can you have a relationship with someone if you don't believe what they say?"

I think that sometimes "relationship" has become a cliche devoid of real meaning. What does it mean to have a real relationship with God? At the very least it means that we believe what He says in His Word.

childoftheking

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »

I believe I read somewhere about "experimental christianity". That is what it is like for me. An experiment. Do something and see what happens. And try to understand it. I wan't born a Seventh-day Adventist. I started out by being converted in another denomination(the church was Nazarene). I was very happy to find God or rather for Him to find me. And I was grateful that Jesus loved me enough to die for me. I had learned that much about Him then.

One of my Grandmothers was Methodist and one was SDA. They both influenced me. I went to church with my cousins to a "Bible church" on Sunday and to VBS. I don't know what denomination it was. And I went to church with my SDA Grandmother on Saturday. She died when I was 6. I asked my Heavenly Father something and watched for a response because I expected a loving response. I read the Bible to discern God's will and character and believe that He is who I am communicating with. I watch for evidences of His providence and of divine intervention apart from my requests also. I do not write them off as coincidence or try to explain them away. I owe any "investigative skills" or insight I may have to God because the Bible says in James 1:5 "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally". So I ask.

Johann

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

"Man is a knot into which relationships are tied". ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Flight to Arras, 1942
Pages: [1]   Go Up