Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer for Elderly dad  (Read 9754 times)

mfc10

Prayer for Elderly dad
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »

My 80-year-old dad (a long-time SDA) has probable chronic bronchitis (though never a smoker)and other health problems. Please pray he will get better help from his doctors, and that he will improve. Please pray for Mom & me, too, as his caretakers. :praying:
Thank you & God bless.
Maggie

Johann

Re: Prayer for Elderly dad
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:33:41 AM »

This was a long time ago. Any news?

mfc10

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »

Hi, Johann; Thanks for asking. He hasn't improved and his chest X-ray now shows a shadow/possible lesion on his left lung. We'll probably get a CAT scan soon. He's lost a lot of weight (which we attributed to his very-ill-fitting sets of dentures over the past year) and is not getting around as well as he used to. He's pretty much resigned that this could be the end of his earthly journey. But being a devout SDA, his ultimate hope is in the soon coming of the Lord and his resurrection to life eternal. But please keep Dad & Mom in your prayers...I know she's weary from the pressures of care-giving (even though I help several hours every day).  :praying:

Thanks again!
Maggie

mfc10

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »

Dad is back home from a week in the hospital and a week in a nursing home. He didn't do well in the short-term rehab program there, and was sent home under Hospice care. Mom & I are pretty much the 24/7 caregivers now, with an hour a day from Hospice nurses' aides M-F. He's bedridden, in diapers, and prays everyday to go to sleep in Jesus. It's really rough, especially on Mom, who is also 80. Please pray that his sufferings end soon, and for strength (both mental & physical!) for Mom & me.  :praying:

Thank you!
Maggie

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »

Oh Maggie,

I am so sorry to hear of what you are going through.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  I have been in the care-giver role for a while now, myself, although not to the same extent of intensity as your situation sounds to be.

Praise God that your folks are believers.  I cannot imagine trying to get through the trials of this life without the blessed hope of something better to come.

In my situation, my sister and I recently did some research and discovered many wonderful local resources for elder care, senior independence and care-giver respite.  Just last week did a worker come to my folks' home to install safety bars in the bathroom and other strategic locations in their home, all at no cost.  The same organization that provided that service also has resources available for care-givers.  Another local organization provided a free bedside commode after my mom fell a couple of times in the bathroom.  It's something to think about and maybe look into.  We would have never known about these resources without a little searching.

I'm praying for you and your family.

Snoopy

Emma

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:06:56 AM »

Besides all the physical strain, Maggie, I know the emotional ambivalence of wanting your father's suffering
to end but not wanting to say goodbye.  You are all in my prayers, too.

mfc10

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »

Thank you for your kind words of support. Dad died Monday, August 31st. He had developed aspiration pneumonia due to the swallowing problems. He took his last labored breath with Mom & the Hospice nurse by his side. (I was at the pharmacy getting him a prescription at the time, but I had a good talk with him earlier in the day.) He had many friends, relatives & church brothers & sisters at the funeral home tonight. Praise God he is finally at rest. I'll be at Mom's side as much as possible, helping her adjust. Thank you again for your prayers!  :TY:

Blessings,
Maggie

Emma

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »

Thank you for the update, Maggie, and it is good you have had so many
friends around you at this time.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:44:25 AM »

Maggie,
I am so Sorry too for you :praying:, This is one of the greatest pains of heart to go through.

mfc10

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:32:45 AM »

Thanks, friends. It is difficult, but as the song says, "We have this hope...." and the next thing Dad sees will be Jesus' face.
The funeral service is today.
Blessings,
Maggie

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss Maggie.  Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mfc10

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »

Thank you so much! The funeral service was lovely today. I'm sure we'll be reunited before too long now.
Blessings,
Maggie

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »

Maggie,

I am sitting here crying for your loss but being blessed by your strength and courage.

I hope you and your mom can experience a Sabbath filled with peace in the knowledge that your dad is just sleeping in Jesus.

Remember Revelation 21:4..."He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain for the old order of things has passed away."

May the Lord hold you close in His love and encircle you with heavenly hugs.

Snoopy

Pages: [1]   Go Up