Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabbath  (Read 5285 times)

Johann

Sabbath
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »

The Review focuses this week on the Sabbath. What are your thoughts?

Azenilto Brito

Re: Sabbath
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

12 Reasons Why the Sabbath IS NOT LIMITED to the People of Israel

1st) Because the Sabbath was established at the creation when there was not a single Jew (Gen. 2:2, 3).

Note: “Arguments from silence” do not serve as proof or counterproof of anything. Not being told that Adam kept the Sabbath is neutralized by the fact that it is not said that he DIDN’T. The tiebreaker is that God did three things regarding the seventh day: He rested on it, blessed it and sanctified it. To sanctify means to separate (it was separated as “memorial of creation”).

2nd) Because Isa. 56:2-7 destroy the false theory of the Sabbath being confined to Israel. God invites FOREIGNERS to join the covenant established with Israel in the context of the expression of the divine ideal that “My house shall be called an house of prayer FOR ALL PEOPLE” (not only for Israel).

Note: Among many Christians, a great confusion and ignorance prevail about the real reasons for the choice of Israel as a “chosen nation”. That people was not chosen just to receive privileges, but to have a MISSION--to be IHWH’s witnesses until to the ends of the earth (Isa. 43:10, 49:6).

3rd) Because Jesus, our supreme example, observed the Sabbath and said he had not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it (Luke 4:16, cf. Matt. 5:17-19). He NEVER told anybody to fail to observe any of the commandments of the divine law. By the end of His ministry He confirmed to the disciples and “the multitudes” that they should follow EVERYTHING that their Jewish religious leaders taught (which included the faithful Sabbath keeping--Luc. 13:14), just not being hypocrites like them (see Mat. 23:1-3). He confirmed that “The Sabbath was made for man-anthropos”, the universal man, not the Jewish man (Mark 2:27).

Note: Christ discussed with the Jewish leaders not IF the Sabbath should be observed, nor WHEN to observe it, but HOW to observe the day in its proper spirit. And where is it said that it was disestablished?

4th) Because in Matthew 24:16-20 Christ prophesied that two things would continue after His departure: a) the winter and its difficulties to flee to the mountains during that season; b) the keeping of the Sabbath day by His followers. He wanted to prevent them of being caught by surprise in their congregations on a Sabbath when their land was invaded by enemies, and of losing everything because they could not carry all their belongings in a retreat during the Sabbath time.

Note: He did not limit His recommendation to the urban environment, because he mentions those who were in Judea and in the field. On the Sabbath days there were smaller doors for those who wanted to leave, as Christ, His disciples and even the Pharisees were in the field on a Sabbath day (Matt. 12:1, 2).

5th) Because the holy women who served Christ, after His death prepared ointments to embalm His body, but “rested the Sabbath according to the commandment” (Luke 23:56). This shows that they had not learned through Christ's words and acts: a) that the Sabbath ended at His death by pointing to Him symbolically, b) that the Sabbath was a mere symbol of salvation in Christ, hence whoever accepts Him as Savior would be exempt from this rule.

Note: It is incredible that those who live nearly 2,000 years after Christ think they can interpret His words and deeds related to the Sabbath better than those who lived with Him. Remember that they were ethnically Jewish, but ideologically Christian.

6th) Because at the Jerusalem Council, in the face of questions raised by the Judaizers regarding  laws and rules of Israel, it was decided that among the things that the Gentile believers were to abstain (i.e. NOT to practice) the Sabbath is NOT included (Acts 15:20, 29).

Note: The absence of any rule AGAINST the Sabbath denotes that no doubts hovered about the subject and it was not discussed at said council.

7th) Because Paul dedicated the Sabbaths to preach to Jews and Gentiles (Acts 17:2). There was no synagogue in Philippi, thus “on the Sabbath” he and his group sought a quiet place by the river for moments of prays and communion with God (Acts 16:13). The argument that they prayed daily does not explain the fact that Luke informs that the whole group did it on a Sabbath day. Paul also spent a year and a half in Corinth, preaching every Sabbath at the synagogue to Jews and Gentiles, and never told them that the Sabbath was abolished, and now they had either Sunday or anydayism/nodayism/everydayism as a rule (see Acts 18:1-4, 11). In Acts 25:8, the Apostle says that he had done nothing against the Jewish law, defending himself from Jewish accusers. If he violated the Sabbath, that would be raised against him, and it was not.

8th) Because in Heb. 8:6-10, we have the most important passage in the Bible regarding the change from the Old to the New Covenant and NOTHING is said that with this change of covenants the Sabbath is left out, and either Sunday or anydayism/nodayism/everydayism takes its place.

Note: Nor is it said that the law that God writes on the hearts and minds is the “law of Christ” or the “law of faith,” or the “law of love”, or the “law of the Spirit”, but “My laws”
[God’s]. Certainly these “My laws” encompass all that, but the ceremonial, typical ones wouldn’t be written on the minds and hearts because when Hebrews was written, both the author as his primary readers already knew that the veil of the Temple had been torn from top to bottom, and the meaning of it (Matt. 27:51). Since Heb. 8:6-10 is a mere reproduction of Jer. 31:31-33, then they were the same laws of the Prophet's time.

9th) Because all the mother-churches of Protestantism (note, ALL) have being teaching FOR CENTURIES (in their classic, historic confessional documents) that the 10 Commandments continue as normative in ALL their precepts (note, ALL) to the Christians, and that the Sabbath originated from the creation of the world, hence having UNIVERSAL and MORAL character (albeit clumsily trying to apply it to Sunday). The Baptists and Presbyterians even say it is of the NATURAL LAW. Before the Reformation, Catholic and Orthodox taught basically the same.

Note: All these churches also teach the “distinction” between the laws--Moral (the Decalogue), Ceremonial and Civil, the latter two no longer applicable to the Church.

10th) Because not only the Christians teach for centuries that the 10 Commandments are the moral law of God, but they also have stated that the first 4 commandments deal with our duties towards God, and the last four, the same regarding the neighbors, as can be found in the confessional documents of the Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians and Anglicans.

Note: This inspires the question: “Why, should our expression of loving God above all things be reduced from four to three precepts under the new covenant?”

11th) Because while there is nothing regarding the end of the Sabbath in the Scriptures, much less is it said that Sunday was adopted by the Apostles in its place. The “biblical evidences” of that often presented are not taken seriously by the vast majority of Evangelicals/Protestants who prefer to believe that the principle of devoting a day to the Lord, which throughout the centuries and millennia was enjoyed by men and load animals, was abolished.

Note: The logical, practical and spiritual reasons for the end of this principle simply are not indicated. . .

12th) Because science proves the physical and mental benefits of the Sabbath, and the believers know their spiritual ones. Everybody needs a regular day of rest and spiritual refreshment every week, especially at these times so full of stressing factors.  Isa. 66:22, 23 predict that even in the new Earth, “wherein dwelleth righteousness” (2nd Pet. 3:13), the Sabbath will continue serving as an eternal memorial of the creation to the redeemed ones.

Note: Why would God discriminate such a blessing against the Jews since He is “no respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34)?

mrst53

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »

What about the rest of us, who worship on Sundays? the day Christ arose?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »

Mrs. T, I believe God is calling all His precious children into repentance and obedience to all of His commandments, and to walk as Jesus walked.

If Jesus had commanded us to rest on the day He rose from the dead, things would be different. But He did not.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »

I have to agree with bob, mrst, strange as that is....hehehehe......Just kidding Bob.   However, I believe that this walk we are on is a individual one, and we are held accountable for acknowledging a relationship with Jesus Christ and that of which we are convicted with that relationship.  If you are sincere in your search for the truth in and of the One True God, the Holy Spirit will lead you to it.  I don't believe in condemning anyone for not observing the Sabbath(firstly because it is not our place to condemn nor point out condemnation we believe God ought to be putting forth), as the Bibles says if you offend in one are of the law,  you offend all.  It did not say if you offend the 4th command you offend all.  IOW, most folks here may keep the Sabbath, however, they are found lacking in one of the other nine.  Sanctification is a life time process for us all.  I will pray that The Lord leads and guides you in His way and His time. 

What about the rest of us, who worship on Sundays? the day Christ arose?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

I guess I will have to dig deeper and pray, and agree to disagree on this one. I do enjoy the discussions tho...

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »

Well, Mrst53 just move over on that hot seat whilst I join you there.  I believe that there is a possiblity that God may not move you to keep the Sabbath, then again, He might.  It might be your real reason for being lead to this site, and even watching 3ABN in the first place.  I am not one who believes it is the litmus test for the state on one's relationship with god.  Now this goes against everything most stand for on this site.  I just believe that God is not stuck to only what we believe He can or even should do.  Just be open and listen to the daily manifest Word of God in your life, and you can't go wrong.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

Thank-you Princess Di

Johann

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »

We're happy to have you here, Mrst53. Feel free to participate wherever you want to or even stay clear of subjects you'd rather not take part in. We want to be fair and open to all.

Azenilto Brito

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »

Well, but, finally, the Sabbath commandment is restricted to the nation of Israel or not? If not, then everybody becomes accountable to God regarding this commandment, for if it is not limited to Israel, it applies to anyone, exactly as any of the other 9 of the Decalogue.

Do you know where I learned the importance of this commandment? Paradoxically it was as I learned as a child to sing a song in my Sunday School class, in my native Brazil, which said at a certain point, repeating the Portuguese wording, ". . . quem trabalha no domingo, do Senhor está roubando. . ." [whoever works on Sunday is robbing from God].

I have been asking Evangelicals the following question, in the face of the approaching World Cup in South Africa (of football [soccer]):

* How about the clear statement in different denominational Confession of Faiths, Catechisms, Doctrinal Statements (as those of Baptists and Presbyterians) which clearly say that on the “Lord’s day” no secular or recreational activities should be engaged in?

Now, the most important World Cup games will be shown on TV on Sundays, including the great finale (hopefully the Brazil team will be one of the finalists, ). But, then, what Evangelical nowadays takes seriously this clear classical religious rule of the Protestant tradition? Specially in Brazil and other places where people are so enthused about sports, this rule is simply overlooked.

I have been asking this. Nobody gives me any answer. . .  This subject became a clear taboo in the Protestant midst. Nobody wants to talk about.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:32:55 PM by Azenilto Brito »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

Mrst53

We will keep this simple in your wise understanding and "given" thoughts.

Rev 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates unto the city.

Once before I mentioned just look to the commandments for truth. all 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up