Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: President calls Pope a title Bible only uses for God the Father  (Read 5405 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=3425

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are" (John 17:11).

I don't think any person in their official capacity as an employee or officer of government in the U.S. calling the pope "Holy Father." Doing so in essence is calling the pope God on earth.

We have separation of church and state in the U.S. Our government should therefore not endorse Rome's claims that the pope is the representative of God on earth, and that the titles of God can now be applied to the pope.

But I doubt Obama is the first president to cross the line on this one.

Johann

Re: President calls Pope a title Bible only uses for God the Father
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »

I do not recall any other president of USA making as far reaching attempts as Obama does to make a mediation between not only various Christian Churches, but also between various religions of the world.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=3425

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are" (John 17:11).

I don't think any person in their official capacity as an employee or officer of government in the U.S. calling the pope "Holy Father." Doing so in essence is calling the pope God on earth.

We have separation of church and state in the U.S. Our government should therefore not endorse Rome's claims that the pope is the representative of God on earth, and that the titles of God can now be applied to the pope.

But I doubt Obama is the first president to cross the line on this one.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »

(smile) But doesn't the pope THINK he's God on Earth. And all the followers THINK so too. I guess somewhere I read that the pope supersedes the Law of God. (smile) you know the story! All of this cannot come too soon. I saw this coming with the election of all elections. Corruptions beyond corruption I only wish we all can be ready.

Johann

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »

I  suppose the title "Holy Father" has often been used of the pope - unfortunately.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »

John Paul said the title sounded hostile to the gospel since Jesus said to call no man your father, but he said to have no fear to call him that anyway, since it came from a long tradition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up