Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toothbrush Rusg  (Read 14816 times)

GRAT

Toothbrush Rusg
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:06 PM »

A friend and I just started making toothbrush rugs.  They are made from strips of fabric and require no sewing at all.  You use a needle of sorts made out of a toothbrush that has a hole in the handle.  You cut off the brush and make it pointed.  You start out with two strips and make knots around one strip.  Then you use your needle to knot the second row to the first.  Is quite easy once you get the hang of it.  Found good instructions on the net.  Has anyone else ever made one?

tinka

• Veteran Member
Re: Toothbrush Rusg
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »

Grat, Isn't it amazing how it seems when something new is being done everyone picks up on it the same time. My daughter just found this idea and asked me if I ever heard about the rug making. and here we are doing the same thing. My mom knew these things way back. I really coached her to stay with the crocheted effect though and she is on her second one. She bought material of choice so she would get the color effect she wanted. The hard part or consuming time is preparing the strips. Some people just go with the strips and leave the raw edges. We fold the material in half at the width of stips then fold edges to match center of strips then press in half to make the strip only about 3/4 in wide when finished. Then there are no edges to frey out or strings to mess with. Looks very neat and new that way. But here we are doing the same thing. On the internet there are some really good pictures that make the toothbrush rug instructions very simple but some make it sound so hard. But they are beautiful. The crocheted rug you can make any design. We are making the square or oblong and it lays perfectly flat as many directions you never know how they will lay. My daughter bought a pattern and it was ridiculous as some patterns are. We made our own directions so simple that we do not need directions. To crochet a rug you need a 15 hook. We are just single crocheting this one but the last one we Double Crochet and the rug was smaller and took much more material. But very beautiful. This one we are working on will probably take about 100 yrds of strips to make about a 8ft by 10ft. Creams, brown tones, dark rasberry, and beige. flowery material and designs makes beautiful flicks and blending of colors as you probably already know. It is fun to watch the younger generation think they found a great new hobby that comes from the 1800's (smile)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:33:38 PM by tinka »

GRAT

Re: Toothbrush Rugs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »

Just saw this.  I will look into the crocheted rugs.  I would have to learn to crochet.  I didn't want to do the braided rugs as you have to sew the braided parts together.  Too much work.  I have been collecting material so need to get it used.  Did you know that you can buy a thing that you thread the strips through and it folds them.  It is used to make bias tape but might work on this.  You thread it through and iron it as it comes out.  Might be faster.  I have never been a crafty person but this has been fun and will give me something to do in my "old" age.   :purr:

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »

I did not know there was such a thing, My daughter just bought one and it works tremendous. Sure does save a lot of time. She has made hers a 8ft by 10ft and it is absolutely beautiful. The crocheting is so easy. She just single crocheted the whole thing. Ovals, and rounds are the hardest I think as you have to keep your nose to the till to make sure all increases are in a good place to make it lay like store bought. My daughter sent for a square or oblong and it was too much work and trouble as then it wanted you to sew it together too. I came up with my own simple pattern and it just so easy. She bought all material with big roses in burgundy color, then cream, tan, dark brown and creqm. Different shades of burgundy mixed with the leaves and creams. You just can't buy one like it.

Harley

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »

A friend and I just started making toothbrush rugs.  They are made from strips of fabric and require no sewing at all.  You use a needle of sorts made out of a toothbrush that has a hole in the handle.  You cut off the brush and make it pointed.  You start out with two strips and make knots around one strip.  Then you use your needle to knot the second row to the first.  Is quite easy once you get the hang of it.  Found good instructions on the net.  Has anyone else ever made one?

I have never made one. I have only helped my mom make braided rugs, and quilts. Oh, and at academy I made latch hook rugs. lol  I would like to learn more here as I think I might like to try too. :)  I need new kitchen and bathroom rugs. Could you please give me the good instructions you found on the net?

I like Tinka's too, but I don't know how to crochet. :( I always wanted to learn. Someday I will.

GRAT

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »

The best instructions I found are at www.ragrugcafe.com.  It is a little confusing when you first start and looks a mess but keep going and it will start to look good.  The most important thing is to add stitches as you go around the corners or it will not lay flat.  An inexpensive place to get fabric is to tear up sheets.  If you go out and buy fabric it gets real expensive real fast.  I also look at garage sales or thrift stores for fabric.  Is fun.  I have pictures and if I can figure out how I will post them. 

Johann

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »

I hope you will have some some fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up