Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightening strikes KJCR  (Read 4367 times)

Fran

• Veteran Member
Lightening strikes KJCR
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

Lightning Starts Fire at KJCRShare
 Today at 11:20am
Lighting struck KJCR 88.3 last night around 9:30 while station manager Randy Yates was working late in his office. “I could feel the pop under my feet when the lightning struck, and then my computer went down and some of the lights went out.”

Yates went to check the breaker box, and noticed a wood smoke smell. He then pulled down the attic steps and saw bright orange flames. He quickly left the building and called 911.
The Keene Fire Department and departments from Cleburne, Alvarado, and Briar Oaks sent trucks to the scene. Yates says he explained the situation and the firefighters quickly put out the fire, running a water hose through to the attic.

Keene Fire Marshal Jacob Hopps confirmed that the fire began in the attic from what appeared to be natural causes, most likely lightning. “There was fire and heavy smoke coming from the south gable when we arrived. We were able to push the fire back, and then the Alvarado Fire Department provided horizontal ventilation through the gable, which relieved a lot of the heat and smoke, and allowed us to extinguish the fire.”

Most of the damage was to the two on-air booths and one office. Equipment damage has yet to be assessed.

“I’m thankful that I was here when this happened, because we could have lost the whole building and all of the radio personnel and communication faculty could have lost their offices,” said Yates.

The radio station is currently off-air.

Pages: [1]   Go Up