Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Evolution vs Creation in SDA universities  (Read 24499 times)

BobRyan

Evolution vs Creation in SDA universities
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:30:46 AM »

How important is the Bible doctrine on origins, the Bible teaching of a literal 7 day creation week - to our Fundamental Beliefs - to Christianity itself?

It appears from evidence presented at the educatetruth web site that we have at least one SDA university marketing/evangelizing/pro-actively selling evolutionism (as the right doctrine on origins) to their students in both biology and religion departments.

Is this something you would consider under the guise of "Academic Freedom"?

What say you?

in Christ,

Bob

Johann

Re: Evolution vs Creation in SDA universities
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »

What can we do to help?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

the Bible teaching of a literal 7 day creation week - to our Fundamental Beliefs - to Christianity itself?

in Christ,

Bob

In just my simple mind of common sense, instead of looking for the disbelief of a 7 day creation, I think I must believe first in God, His power and ability to the 3 persons in One for the application of all different works of the universe by separate Entities of God. Visible, audible and Invisible Incarnate & Omnipotent. A power and "Mystery of God" we shall never know but evidence of the unseen by faith. If we do not believe in any of this,--- it is impossible to believe in 7 day creation.  

Now at the fall -Satan has not been stripped of some of this same power of visible and invisible and can still perform miracles then how can I not believe that God (creator of all) spoke and it "IS". It appears. This is the simplicity I am only allotted or want to go and am totally satisfied with. He held a day back by His power. Its in History. That is good enough for me.  I do not look for any other way as some Adventist are now through their college "brightness" looking for new "theory". I love the simplicity of the "old, old,story" The heavens, the stars, and all the hosts are accounted for in His Word and in His time.

God's truth in record is never to confuse but man achieves this confusion by thinking he is given greater knowledge by scientific study. In these last days, college is hardly safe unless well grounded. but most professors are the fall now of this generation. Yes, even in our own schools. They are no longer meek but agressive to keep up with the worldly view and passing grades of "supreme intelligence".  If you can't understand God and His Love the rest doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:19:37 PM by tinka »

BobRyan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

The main thing to do is to keep this issue in prayer.

The second thing we can do is make sure that you go to the Educatetruth web site and be aware of the details of this almost 20 year battle for our SDA universities. LSU has recently come under the spotlight due to one of their biology professors admitting to the press that they are all in the tank for evolutionism and are flatly rejecting the Bible doctrine on origins. It goes downhill from there.

Ellen White has a very insightful statement on the critical issue of Theistic Evolutionism in 3SG 90-91 that all should be aware of -

in Christ,

Bob

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »

I will be going to read that again this eve to see what is implied. Sometimes it takes the whole chapter so not to read out of context or the right context.

It is so sad to see this happen when we knew that it would and with almost no stability left before the coming.

BobRyan

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »

At the EducateTruth site - a discussion thread is started  to discuss two alleged  LSU students who have posted their opinions of the objections Bibe believing Christians have about LSU selling out in favor of evolutionism.

Neptunnus
November 8, 2009

I’m currently a student at LSU and I know personally that a great percentage of our campus fully supports the three professors under fire, and we also DON’T like outsiders trying to influence what goes on in our classrooms. We DON’T like how ignorant Adventists who don’t have PhD’s or other reputable qualifications criticizing what professors are teaching, who actually do have the qualifications. I find banishing the theory of evolution from our curriculum a form of brain washing. Intelligent design is just not backed up by scientific evidence. In addition, religion and science are two different methods of studying life. However, when you read the Bible literally, science and religion don’t go hand in hand. But, when you interpret Scripture and dig deeper, science can actually support the Bible. Most of us students are confused to why there is such a big controversy. In our eyes, Shane Hilde seems very unqualified to be making these accusations, especially when he exploited a recent graduate of La Sierra University to his advantage. Unfortunately for him, the paper that he used to display the unfair grading of the two LSU Biology Professors turned out to be plagiarized. I would love to address the protestors who will come to our campus this Wednesday and say, “Stand if you have a Bachelors. Remain standing if you have a PhD. Stay standing if you have a PhD in a science field. The ones who are still standing are the only ones qualified enough to be here protesting, and for the ones who are qualified obviously you’re PhD doesn’t mean s—.” But, as a well-mannered University student, I choose to ignore the ignorant and the meddling group of people who claim to value high-education. I am by the way, a conservative and practicing Adventist. Learning about the theory of evolution has actually strengthened my relationship and belief in God, not weakened it.

Michael
November 10, 2009

I am also a current student at La Sierra, and neptunnus basically summed up how the LARGE majority of students here feel. These “protests” are the work of a fringe group. Quite frankly, most Adventists in the United States understand that the scientific consensus is for evolution, but the church leadership pays lip service to creationism due to conservative elements within the world church.

While we  can certainly feel grieved  over the way these students choose to express themselves as well as their inclination to accept evolutionist propaganda uncritically -- the bigger issue is that they appear to so clearly reflect what they are  apparently being told by their mentors at LSU - and the also they report an atmosphere at LSU that is  "we - vs - they" the school against Bible believing Christians -- outside the school.

Prayers are in order.

in Christ,

Bob

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:57 AM »

At the EducateTruth site - a discussion thread is started  to discuss two alleged  LSU students who have posted their opinions of the objections Bibe believing Christians have about LSU selling out in favor of evolutionism.

Neptunnus
November 8, 2009

“Stand if you have a Bachelors. Remain standing if you have a PhD. Stay standing if you have a PhD in a science field. The ones who are still standing are the only ones qualified enough to be here protesting, and for the ones who are qualified obviously you’re PhD doesn’t mean s—.”

Michael
November 10, 2009

Low and behold, where have I saw that familiar tactic done before, Yes I remember at SDA graduation of high school, I went to the first one as all my children did not go to SDA high school but one. I sat in horror as awards were given to the highest intelligence down to the lowest and non graduating ones with no awards but their low grades exploited to the audience.

Sure scholarships can be announced but not in this manner. I came away heart broken for the lacking students. and that turned to anger. I am afraid all the above is the fault of SDA not following SP in what our schools were for and now the race is almost over we reap the consequences. This is exactly what I was referring to.  These students are experiencing the bit of the apple as they wondered off the road into another orchard.  Education from SDA gave them big ego trained at early age as they follow the higher professors planted by the top leaders. It is almost over and sifted. The Bible was not taken in faith but students were out to prove their own theories and just take certain parts to prove their own points. What made anyone think that Satan would leave out the most important area of youth training?? The schools are the prime place for demons to be. AS SDA's seek more and more worldly view and appease the public this is what you get. I am starting to see this very thing happening now on the new channel of "Hope".  

Format edited by Johann
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:00:36 AM by Johann »

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

Thank you Johann for fixing things, I click on quote and then delete the rest I do not want between the quote marks. I thought I was careful to do this but it is obvious I am not doing it right. clicking on the quote never seems to do right but again I know I am not doing it right somehow. and keep trying to find what I am doing wrong. sliding on just the sentence then cicking quote doesn't work either. Of course I have changed to mac and seem to have to learn all over.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »

It appears that the Michigan Conference Executive Committee has recently taken a stand on this.  Scroll down on the Michigan Conference website:

http://www.misda.org/

Johann

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »

The Michigan Conference has taken a remarkable step in what appears to be reasonable. It does not seem right for a Seventh-day Adventist Church organization to support an institution teaching ideas which undermine the official teachings of our Church.

Neither does it seem reasonable for an organization to use and support an institution doing lip service to our doctrines while undermining our faith with immorality behind the curtains, even if they only use the "correct" hymns and music and preach the "full" Advent message!

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

How wonderful that somebody finally stood up. Even more wonderful that funds will not help that "Superior upper level Education of evolution" How much more Superior do they think they are???  So glad to read that peice of ino. Thank you.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

I personally agree with both of them. I believe that the earth is far older than six or ten thousand years, and I believe that La Sierra is teaching science as science, and I find it refreshing to see what they are doing. However, it would not be fair to ask people who don't believe that way to pay for it with their tithes and offerings, and the MI conference did the right thing in representing the will of their constituents, and La Sierra should expect that this is just the beginning.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »

George,
I think I spent most of life looking at the first chapter of Genesis over and over and over. Then I followed all the references. It was not telling me exactly what for sure i wanted to know. My husband seem to go along with the theory the earth was maybe older.
finally, and I mean finally I took each word and did a hands on drawing of each in depth of each exact word and then I came to the word "firmament". Boy had I been dense.  Finally the word "firmament" came into a different meaning of separating the waters or mist. I really hate to mention this to show how ignorant a person can be, but all the years of looking at that it just registered firm land, firm land and of course I could not grasp it until after my ignorance was given a jab of light that firmament meant air, an opening for a heaven and then dry land hung in the open firmament.  Now I realized nothing else was there until waters separated and air for opening.  Then I made a drawing of every action word and did only as it said. and then I realized  The dry land was brought forth with the breath of His Word spoken. as He had to separate the waters before anything. Water was in the midst of nothing. See what you think. After the word "firmament" go down a Copley of verses and it then tells you what it actually meant. Boy was that a block because the word not so familiar and using it seemed only that it meant firm ground. The very adjective used with the word land was "dry". So that tells you again all was water or mist because he separated the waters. Water was now on top of firmament and water was below firmament.  Now talk about finer details that is how many times I have to do to understand. Love the finer details. Answer is in first chapter. Now all the rest of references match perfect. Now there was not dry land in the beginning before spoken.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:57:24 PM by tinka »

Johann

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »

Here is a statement made by the President of La Sierra University. Is there a misunderstanding?

I was saddened to read the article “Evolution Controversy Stirs La Sierra Campus” as it does not describe the campus that I know. La Sierra University continues to offer a strong curriculum designed to help students experience vibrant Adventist Christianity while coming to terms with serious issues of 21st century life and learning…

Randal Wisbey, President
La Sierra University

From the Adventist Review
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:59:12 AM by Johann »

Johann

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »

It is interesting to follow all the letters of concern about LSU at this address:

http://www.educatetruth.com/news/readers-respond-to-adventist-review-article/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up