Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Evolution vs Creation in SDA universities  (Read 24680 times)

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Evolution vs Creation in SDA universities
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »

So, your complaint is that they are teaching it as fact.  In essence saying........"This is what I believe" or "you should believe".  Or are they teaching creation and evolution equally, and not giving preference to either, where you believe(and righty so, to a point) that they should give preference to creation?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »

Princessdi,

What they are teaching --is to give every opportunity to prove "doubt of total Creation" under the cloak of SDA and against "evidently now"  what some true SDA believe yet. But. the truth of the matter is that Creation Theory in not the only thing that will be thrown to the dogs in the end. It is happening as we see it.  Moderation instead of Temperance, and finally attack of the Sabbath from our own ranks.  A sign of the end and the mark.

The Sealing is a settling into truth. Just as soon as the people of God are sealed in their forehead's is not any seal or mark that can be seen but a setling into the truth, both intellectually and spiritually, so they cannot be moved--just as soon as God's people are sealed and prepared for the shaking, it will come. (EGW).MS 173, 1902.

and that is what the sealing is all about.
total Truth not to be removed from the Word of God and so in simplicity do you think we ought to have these issues in colleges? Yep, guess so that is where Satan is mostly having his field day. Our children. So a few stand up to it!!! and Michigan is "One" !!!!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:50:41 AM by tinka »

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »

LOL!!! Tinka, I did get a good understanding of the difference between moderation and temperance last Sabbath in the SS class.

So, tinka you are saying that they are teaching evolution as a preference?  I am asking because I don't see that teaching that it exists, and agreat many people believe it, is a problem.  However, at a Christian SDA School, teaching it as a preference is problematic.  I just want to get a good understanding of what is actually being taught.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

Di,
LOL, I knew you would.

I do not think they have it as a subject right out in open to take as class, surely not, I believe they are teaching the "open door" to doubt. It is only what I have gathered and you have to follow all the links and post of other places. Not even sure unless Bob or Johann can be more specific of actual fact.

The articles I read they are presenting it as Bible V. Evolution as the possibilities of Earth being here before creation and the question of millions of years as absolute.

My complaint was to show that was not so in what I posted. My simple position is that "dry land or dry matter did not appear until a "firmament was opened" after the separation of waters in the "all was void" fact of 1 chapter of Genesis. and I believe God spoke and it happened in the amount of time it says.  Examples: God spoke and the waters stood still. Jesus spoke and Lazarus came back. Jesus spoke and all was healed. I believe in His power, Miracles and mystery of the One God in 3 persons. Blessed Trinity.

Johann

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »

Our recent volcanic activity clearly shows us in how short a time a great deal of the earth can change. All of a sudden thousands of airplanes have to stand still and wait for nature to change.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Amazing yes, how a moment can change all things.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »

Indeed it can change very quickly. In the Gulf of Mexico on the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula is a crater 180 kilometers across. It is the site where the Chucxulub asteroid struck. This asteroid was over 10 kilometers across, the size of a small city. It would have been travelling at a rate of around 40,000 mph upon impact. It is estimated that it sent a splash of mud and water up aproximately 70,000 feet, and a tsunami around 5,000 feet in height washed across the North American continent, while tsunamis up to 1,500 feet high struck the continents of Europe and Africa. The disturbance to the sea floor at the site of impact, and the disturbance created by the massive tsunamis would have destroyed up to half of the life in the earth's oceans, according to most estimates. The impact on the earth's crust would have resulted in massive earthquakes and volcanic eruptions around the world. Global destruction and loss of much of life on earth in one day.

And if that isnt bad enough, think of the scenario resulting from the collision of the Indian sub-continent with Asia. The impact was so powerful it buckled up the edge of Asia and created the Himalayan mountain range. Earth has been through many global catastrophies that were never recorded by humans. Were humans there to witness those events? The evidence that they occured is indisputable.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »

And yes Johann, vulcanism has been a big part of catastrophe on our planet. India is home to the Deccan Traps, the world's largest center of ancient vulcanism. That, along with Shiva's Crater would alone fill the atmosphere with sufficient sulphuric gases to put the earth into a deep winter for centuries. Then you look at smaller volcanoes like Toba and Yellowstone and each of those was many times larger than any volcanoes recorded in human history.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »

Indeed it can change very quickly. In the Gulf of Mexico on the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula is a crater 180 kilometers across. It is the site where the Chucxulub asteroid struck. This asteroid was over 10 kilometers across, the size of a small city. It would have been travelling at a rate of around 40,000 mph upon impact. It is estimated that it sent a splash of mud and water up aproximately 70,000 feet, and a tsunami around 5,000 feet in height washed across the North American continent, while tsunamis up to 1,500 feet high struck the continents of Europe and Africa. The disturbance to the sea floor at the site of impact, and the disturbance created by the massive tsunamis would have destroyed up to half of the life in the earth's oceans, according to most estimates. The impact on the earth's crust would have resulted in massive earthquakes and volcanic eruptions around the world. Global destruction and loss of much of life on earth in one day.

And if that isnt bad enough, think of the scenario resulting from the collision of the Indian sub-continent with Asia. The impact was so powerful it buckled up the edge of Asia and created the Himalayan mountain range. Earth has been through many global catastrophies that were never recorded by humans. Were humans there to witness those events? The evidence that they occured is indisputable.

Sounds like some of the finer details caused by the flood. but i believe I saw that scenario on History channel too.

mrst53

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »

Isn't it AWESOME what our GOD can do? Every now and then He has to show us His power(like the Volcano in Iceland) to close the Airports to get our attention :amen:People were complaining about not being able to fly and they should have been praying that God didn't cause all the volcanoes to erupt.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »

So, your complaint is that they are teaching it as fact.  In essence saying........"This is what I believe" or "you should believe".  Or are they teaching creation and evolution equally, and not giving preference to either, where you believe(and righty so, to a point) that they should give preference to creation?

Di, take a look at the videos at http://www.educatetruth.com/la-sierra-evidence/presentations/biology-seminar-111a-class-videos/. That's a class that LSU led people to believe was promoting the church's view on origins. In reality, it undermines it.

Also, see syllabi at http://www.educatetruth.com/category/la-sierra-evidence/syllabi/, and presentations at http://www.educatetruth.com/category/la-sierra-evidence/presentations/.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:29 PM »

I'd say it WAS a flood. A global flood.

Sounds like some of the finer details caused by the flood. but i believe I saw that scenario on History channel too.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 07:21:24 AM »

George,
and then we read that there will be disasters on land and sea, Can you just imagine this oil spill diaster?? They say they will cap it today possibly on Fox. If it fails, then up the east coast of U.S. Can you just imagine all the fish dying and floating, stinking and toxic. No boats, no transportation. Maybe this is the answer to all the 26' Pyton control in Florida. But on the serious side, I read and no that I read somewhere that all transportation will finally stop. I wish I could find that again but do not know how to word it to put it into Whites writings for it to come up. I put in travel, transportation and several others. Seems this diaster is getting pretty close to finish. If boats, can't go and planes can't fly then cars can't go and we all can't go.....yes I have too big imagination but the facts seem to be there or coming on strong.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »

Thanks Bob, I will review them and let you know what I think.

So, your complaint is that they are teaching it as fact.  In essence saying........"This is what I believe" or "you should believe".  Or are they teaching creation and evolution equally, and not giving preference to either, where you believe(and righty so, to a point) that they should give preference to creation?

Di, take a look at the videos at http://www.educatetruth.com/la-sierra-evidence/presentations/biology-seminar-111a-class-videos/. That's a class that LSU led people to believe was promoting the church's view on origins. In reality, it undermines it.

Also, see syllabi at http://www.educatetruth.com/category/la-sierra-evidence/syllabi/, and presentations at http://www.educatetruth.com/category/la-sierra-evidence/presentations/.

Johann

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »

Traveling with a passenger ship provides opportunities to get acquainted with people when they have time to talk. This is where I once met a British scientist on his way to a university in Norway from an expedition to locate and date archaeological fireplaces in the Faeroe Islands. As he was explaining the mathematical formulas and showing me reports of his work I asked him questions on various dating methods when he made a remarkable statement.

He told me frankly that science has not developed a dating method that is dependable any more than 6-7.000 years back.

I asked him the reason for this.

That is because science has no way of checking any older dates. There are no records for comparison. There is no way to be sure how conditions were when you have no way of double checking.

I was amazed at these statements by a working scientist who was using the latest equipment available to date the past. Soon after that our boat arrived at Bergen, Norway, where my family was waiting for me, and our ways parted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up