Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-control - March 6, 2010  (Read 7597 times)

Johann

Self-control - March 6, 2010
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »

What is the crown "that will last forever?" See 1 Cor. 9

Johann

Re: Self-control - March 6, 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:17 AM »

Did Sampson show self-control when he took his own life?

Johann

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »

Is a boxer a good example of self-control? See 1 Cor. 9:24-27.

Johann

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »

Is self-control a measure of sanctification?

Johann

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »

In the lesson you find the story of G. Gordon Liddy, famous for his participation in the Watergate break-in. He lighted a candle and kept his finger in the fire until it burned. He was trying to demonstrate how much self-control he possessed.

Was this convincing?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »

Is self-control a measure of sanctification?

Sanctification, is the believing part and self-control is the action of it. and I might say one then requires a little help from Holy Spirit from with in. As all things possible tru God. But that is a hard one for me. (smile,) still work at it.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »

Now, Tinka, I think I have to disagree about sanctification.  It is more than the belief, it is the growing and changing, the action.  One of those actions that come with sanctification grow, changing, is self control.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:01 AM »

Di,
I just used the term used by EGW for simplicity of understanding. I remember reading and have to see again where it is. But her statement made it easy for me to understand. Santification is a belief. Guess you can be Santified in almost any belief but we need to have the right one before we get "justification" in order for "salvation". I just go for the simplicity of things.

Johann

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »

Now, Tinka, I think I have to disagree about sanctification.  It is more than the belief, it is the growing and changing, the action.  One of those actions that come with sanctification grow, changing, is self control.

Do you mean that self-control is a fruit of sanctification?

Johann

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »

Love has been defined as "spending time with". You spend time with the one you love.

If you are married, do you spend more of your spare time with your computer than with your spouse?

Does it take self-control to space out your spare time? How does that work?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:17 AM »

What you give your most free time to is where your heart is.  Not including the necessity of work during working hours. The work though is for your family and others. Your heart can yearn more for the peaceful time spent with the Lord. It is the most enjoyable time and can't seem to get enough but a large family seems to take necessary time away what you would yearn more to do. I think we all might have that feeling at times.

Johann

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

What you give your most free time to is where your heart is.  Not including the necessity of work during working hours. The work though is for your family and others. Your heart can yearn more for the peaceful time spent with the Lord. It is the most enjoyable time and can't seem to get enough but a large family seems to take necessary time away what you would yearn more to do. I think we all might have that feeling at times.

Beautiful! Any more nuggets?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »

Well, Johann I would not say that was wrong.  Isn't sanctification the process through which we develop all the fruit of the Spirit?  We don't get patiene, love, meekness, self-control, automatically at baptism, nor does it come easily.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »

Di,
Not sure what Johann's response would be and not trying to answer for him (as this will be of interest to me too) but "Justification" to me is the action Part that you would be refering to --then Salvation from believing, doing and then Saved.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »

Self control is a fruit of the Spirit which we obtain through Spirit-lead Sanctification.

Good discussion, Johan and Tinka. I used both your comments in teaching my class last week.  Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up