Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 12666 times)

Emma

Re: Abortion
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:07:38 AM »

What would you do if you discover that your unwed daughter is pregnant? As a church leader you may feel you need to cover what has happened. Would it be appropriate to make your daughter have an abortion?

Whatever the views of the hypothetical church leader on abortion, I do not think s/he has the right to "make" the hypothetical daughter undergo the procedure.

Such a decision should not be imposed.

That is my POV anyway.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

Sure do, but I am not at age 52 a symbiant(sp) part of my Mother..........

Do you think that is is right for the government to legislate against the killing of you?
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »

I am totally against Abortion, except in the case of health of the mother( and then she has to make that decision with her Dr and God, I could not). In, rape, I believe it only makes 1 terrible thing, 2 terrible things. At least, if the baby is carried full term, the baby can be adopted out. I agree- Murder is murder

Emma

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »

I am totally against Abortion, except in the case of health of the mother( and then she has to make that decision with her Dr and God, I could not). In, rape, I believe it only makes 1 terrible thing, 2 terrible things. At least, if the baby is carried full term, the baby can be adopted out. I agree- Murder is murder

Have you any experience with adoption Mrst53?

Certainly adoption has provided children with homes and childless couples with children....but there are issues there too.   I have two adopted children and 2 to whom I have given birth....the adopted children can be left searching for so much, in spite of all the love and care and everything else they are given.  And those issues are extremely likely to be carried forward to the next generation.

I do not think I would have a personal problem aborting a fetus who had such a severe disability it would be stillborn..(I have had to face that possibility too), for the rest I am not willing to pontificate on the choices of others.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

Well Emma, I am adopted, and I would much rather have questions than be dead.

Have you any experience with adoption Mrst53?

Certainly adoption has provided children with homes and childless couples with children....but there are issues there too.   I have two adopted children and 2 to whom I have given birth....the adopted children can be left searching for so much, in spite of all the love and care and everything else they are given.  And those issues are extremely likely to be carried forward to the next generation.

I do not think I would have a personal problem aborting a fetus who had such a severe disability it would be stillborn..(I have had to face that possibility too), for the rest I am not willing to pontificate on the choices of others.

Johann

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »

Adoption is wonderful! I feel I was adopted by all 6 of my new wifes's children - when I was 73!

Emma

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »

I guess I just wanted to make the point that adoption is not a universal cure-all.  Adopted children
can have suffer great pain as they search for their identity, I have watched that in my own children and
some other close family.  In one the search ultimately brought tragedy.

And George I am glad you are not dead too :)

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 10:07:48 AM »

Now Emma, in the olden days, when my parents were adopting and they were closed, I would have agreed with you.  However, in this day and time, unless the adoptive parents are purposely keeping the birth information from the child, there is no reason why the child should have any problems findings information on birth parents/family.  In fact, there are at least two shows dedicated to that very thing, let alone the websites, etc.  I don't know that either of my brothers wanted to find their birth parents.  My parents gave them the information they had, and let them make the choice.

My family ws also into foster care for as long as I cna remember, and I know the struggles you speak of Emma, But I am like Goerge...Where there is life there is hope!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Emma

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:13 PM »

In general that is true, Di.....but there are circumstances in which it is impossible, which apply to the
situations of which I speak.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »

Emma,
I bet I can understand what situations you are referring to and yes there are situations better not known.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »

Ok so forgive in advance, because in quire minds want to know...........I know there are situations, like someone I know who recent suffered some heart problems, and because they were adopted during the time of closed adoptions, they could not trace family medical history, and that is often time very important.  Now, if you are talking about reunification of some sort, then no, often time it is not possible, and in fact, harmful underscoring why the adoption was best.  It can also make a difference in how you "treat' the adoption with the child.  Do you hide it completely?  do you use it as a weapon, i.e., "we took you in...." kind of thing.  Is that child aloving part of your family, but also being honest about the adoption?  It is a very thin line you have to balance.  I happen to thinkthat my parents and family did a great job with both adopted and foster children.  

I also know that in foster care that the children struggle, and even into adulthood maintain those abanadonment issues.  Sometimes we cann't keep them from some hurts, but we can extend God's love to them and do the best we can.

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »

How does one decide that another person's life would be so terrible that that person should be put to death before they even have a chance to try? I am close with some women whose father is also their grandfather. Would that be a case where you feel these women would be better off dead? They are happy, healthy professionals with beautiful families. They love to travel and adventure, and the family that adopted them treasures them very much. Is it possible that saying a person would be better off dead can be a means of justifying a decision based on one's own needs, fears, and convenience by trying to convince themselves and others that it is about what is best for the child?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »

See now, George. Youa re askign the right questions.  Better for child or for the audlts?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up