Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temperance or Moderation?  (Read 11229 times)

Johann

Temperance or Moderation?
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »

What is the difference between moderation and temperance?

We find two interesting stories in the introduction to this lesson.

1. A judge who ends his life in poverty because he drinks alcohol

2. A young girl dies because she drinks too much water.

What is the real lesson we learn from these two stories?

Johann

Re: Temperance or Moderation?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »

From another topic:

Since we are doing a commercial break, here is another right in Line with Gandma's little cutey:

A minister was completing a temperance sermon. With great emphasis he said,
 'If I had all the beer in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river.'

With even greater emphasis he said, 'And if I had All the wine in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river.'

And then finally, shaking his fist in the air, he Said, 'And if I had all the whiskey in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river.'

Sermon complete, he sat down.

The song leader stood very cautiously and announced  With a giggle, nearly laughing, 'For our closing song,  Let us sing Hymn #365, 'Shall We Gather at the River.'

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »

LOL!! That is funny! 

Now for me, moderationa d temperance are about the same thing.  "All things in moderation" and "beling Temperant" bring to my mind the same thought that too much of anything, including a good thing, can be a bad thing.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »

(smile)
moderation--just a little biddy sin but still sin. selfish, ones own desires, justification, unsanctified.
temperance-- self disciplined in all abuses, obedient, unselfish, giving, and sanctified in belief.

That is if we are refering to Moderation v. temperance .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:41:35 PM by tinka »

Johann

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »

We heard yesterday that a major news magazine in the USA - probably US News - has stated that if you want to live to be 100 you might have to live like a Seventh-day Adventist.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »

Yes, Loma Linda are is what they now calll a "Blue Zone"  where people livelonger, eat healthier.   It was all over the TV news and talk shows last year sometime,
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »

I have been told that one reason this subject is dealt with in our Sabbath School lessons is because there are too many alcoholics in our churches and institutions today.

What influence does alcohol have on our spirituality?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

Well, we know that alcohol impairs our senses for even a short amount of time for most who drink only socially.  However, for those who are alcoholics it has passed into the phase where it is causing permanent damage to the brain, liver, and other organs.  Whether short term or long the effect leaves us in a position where we cannot hear God when He is speaking to us, the urgings and counsels of the Holy Spirit nor be a credible "witness" for God.  That is the ultimate damage.

Johann

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »

Well, we know that alcohol impairs our senses for even a short amount of time for most who drink only socially.  However, for those who are alcoholics it has passed into the phase where it is causing permanent damage to the brain, liver, and other organs.  Whether short term or long the effect leaves us in a position where we cannot hear God when He is speaking to us, the urgings and counsels of the Holy Spirit nor be a credible "witness" for God.  That is the ultimate damage.

Is this worth preachng or fighting for? Hoe can we do it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up