Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man in Romans 7 Lesson for August 21 2010  (Read 7594 times)

Johann

Man in Romans 7 Lesson for August 21 2010
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »

For this lesson study I have started a verse-by-verse analysis, prayerfully consuming each word as it appears. If you llike to join me just take any verse from the chapter and add your private comments. At the moment I have a copy of The New KJV on my desk. Any version will do. I have found that a good tool is

http://greattreasures.org/gnt/main.do

This is a verse-by-verse study of the whole Bible. The basic section has a comparison of several versions and space for making your own notes. The intermediate section has also the Greek text while the advanced section gets into Greek grammar. I wish I had had this tool in college.

Also well suitable for daily devotionals based on Scripture.

Here are some of my own study notes based only on the English Bible.

Verse 1

Or

With this word Paul makes use of another possibility of illustrating what he is talking about

do you not know, bretheren (for I speak to those who know the law),

Paul is referring to the basic knowledge of the reader. In our text he addresses the "brethren". Are the "sisters" excluded - or is he just using a common expression like when we use the word "man" for all of mankind?

that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?

Law, dominion, and death are basic terms in this sentence. We will get back to the term law, and deal first with "dominion". Peeking into the Greek section I notice that the basic word Paul uses is a verb with the same root as in "lord". So I ask myself, who is my Lord? Is it Jesus Christ or is it a law that expires by death? Paul is not saying here that the law itself expires, but that the dominion of that particular segment he later refers to expires at death.

This is getting exciting. More later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:57:34 PM by Johann »

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Man in Romans 7 Lesson for August 21 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

Thanks Johann!  I have to teach again in a couple of weeks.  This will be a great help.

Sorry I haven't been as active as I should in this forum.  Promise I will do better.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »

Verse 2

For

Such a small word which states that an explanation is coming

the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband

Why does Paul say the woman is bound and not the husband? Is that because the church is likened to a woman? There is a law which binds her to the husband. In the previous verse he has already stated that the law binds as long as he is alive and now he repeats it. That indicates he wants to make a special point of it.

as long as he lives.

Something happens when the husband dies.

But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.

So what happens at his death?

mrst53

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »

Johann, did you do a study of Romans 6? 6:25 says" .....Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace"

I guess women were still under the law of the land back then.. but as Christians, we are under grace, not under the old law of Moses.

Johann

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »

Johann, did you do a study of Romans 6? 6:25 says" .....Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace"

I guess women were still under the law of the land back then.. but as Christians, we are under grace, not under the old law of Moses.

Good question. Romans 7 is a continuation of the 6th chapter where Paul explains further what he means by being under grace and not under the law and here he uses the law of marriage as an example. What releases you from that law? How?

Johann

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »

Verse 3

So then if,

Concluding, on the basis of his previous argument, then it is reasonable that. . .

while her husband lives,

referring to a normal marriage

she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress;

the law of marriage is still binding

but if her husband dies, she is free from the law,

The law of marriage is still there, good and valid, but it does not concern her any more. Why?

so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.

Day before yesterday my son sent me a new picture of the grave of his mother on the fifth anniversary of her death. The year after her death he sailed out to an island where he found a large stone he rolled on to a barge and towed it home. He lives in the town where his mother is buried.

My second wife helped me pick out a brass flower and a bird with lettering to decorate the stone. Her former husband had been my boyhood friend and we grew up together. So we had so much in common. He died several years before, and now my wife and I place flowers on his grave.

This text applies to us, and we both thank the Lord that now when we are approaching 80 He has given us these years to enjoy life and memories together. The death of two people made this possible, and it changed the meaning of the law of marriage for us.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

Johann,    Hmm, This presents a lot of thoughts for me. I know this is truly valid what you are explaning. But I also know that route is not for me. With 6 children my husband and I will not present different parties to the life we had. I absolutely donot condem or even think it is wrong for someone else but ...for us, We have been through too much, saw a whole lot and decided we were family for Eternity if we all can make it. I can not love another man. If he went first, I will probably die shortly or live with children. He would do the same if I went first. My sons would not except ever for us not to be together and bring someone else in. But if others can be happy, that is great. I don't want to be changing when we are almost "there". I have wondered and wondered about situations and different spouses if all make it to heaven. I don't like change (smile) or the Lord to have to do any extra placing on my behalf.

Emma

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

Tinka I think there are some situations where we cannot predict our own behaviour until we are there..... ;D

I am sometimes surprised how quickly people have remarried after the death of a partner....I am absolutely NOT
suggesting any previous improper behaviour....but I have to realise that I am not that person and it is not really
my concern.

mrst53

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

Johann, Back to Chapter 6:25 - we are free from the law- by the death  and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am glad He did it for me.

Now as far as remarrying- my father tried to kill me- I do not believe that God would want have my mother to have remain married to him. He was dangerous. She divorced him only after years of prayer. She later remarried a good Christian man. He lived a short time and then died.  A year or so later, she remarried another Christian man and was married to him for 23 yrs. He died of Alzhiemers. I do not believe that my Mother did anything wrong. My father was a dangerous and a devil possessed man at the time. She could not stay married to him at the time. I wish I could say that he turned to the Lord before his death, but I am not sure.

Johann

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

Quite and experience. . .  Only God knows. . .

Did you mean verse 15? (there is no verse 25) Read the whole chapter!

I was forced today to make a study of chapter 6 because I have to present it in church tomorrow. I will post my notes later.

Johann, Back to Chapter 6:25 - we are free from the law- by the death  and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am glad He did it for me.

Now as far as remarrying- my father tried to kill me- I do not believe that God would want have my mother to have remain married to him. He was dangerous. She divorced him only after years of prayer. She later remarried a good Christian man. He lived a short time and then died.  A year or so later, she remarried another Christian man and was married to him for 23 yrs. He died of Alzhiemers. I do not believe that my Mother did anything wrong. My father was a dangerous and a devil possessed man at the time. She could not stay married to him at the time. I wish I could say that he turned to the Lord before his death, but I am not sure.

mrst53

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »

Johann, you are right of course. Migraine fog- the only excuse I have.. :ROFL: the 15 looked like 25...... with migraine fog 2+2 can equal 5 :purr: :hamster:  Have a good Sabbath- praying for God's guidance for your preaching

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Tinka I think there are some situations where we cannot predict our own behaviour until we are there..... ;D

I am sometimes surprised how quickly people have remarried after the death of a partner....I am absolutely NOT
suggesting any previous improper behaviour....but I have to realise that I am not that person and it is not really
my concern.

I know your right that each person has different situations. I am glad that many are not lonesome and can be happy again. Especially men that need women to help them in many ways and vice versa. I guess I am just curious about different things that cross my mind probably when it shouldn't because we do not know everything about heaven yet but I know families will be saved and we will still have companions. Just have always wondered about that aspect of it all. I do have some theories about it but I just keep it personal. I am totally for people remarrying if they want and find happiness again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up