Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOVE AND LAW  (Read 5473 times)

princessdi

• Veteran Member
LOVE AND LAW
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »

Memory Text:

“Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God” (Romans 12:2).

However much Paul was seeking to disabuse the Romans of their false notions of the law, he also calls all Christians to a high standard of obedience. This obedience comes from an inward change in our heart and mind, a change that comes only through the power of God working in a person surrendered to Him.
Romans contains no hint that this obedience comes automatically. The Christian needs to be enlightened as to what the requirements are; he or she must desire to obey those requirements; and, finally, the Christian should seek the power without which that obedience is impossible.

What this means is that works are part of the Christian faith. Paul never meant to depreciate works; in chapter 13 to 15 he gives them strong emphasis. This is no denial of what he has said earlier about righteousness by faith. On the contrary, works are the true expression of what it means to live by faith. One could even argue that because of the added revelation after Jesus came, the New Testament requirements are more difficult than what was required in the Old. New Testament believers have been given an example of proper moral behavior in Jesus Christ. He and no one else is the pattern we are to follow. “Let this mind be in you, which was also in”—not Moses, not Daniel, not David, not Solomon, not Enoch, not Deborah, not Elijah—but “Christ Jesus” (Phil. 2:5).

The standard doesn’t—can’t!—get higher than that.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: LOVE AND LAW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »

In light of recent discussions regarding current events, and in my on going effort, as a SS teacher, to make each lesson relevant to our lives today, I bring the following point for discussion.

I was not a fan of the Bush administration, father or son, but son was worse for me.  I was tempted and did initially join in with those who expressed thier frustrations by disrespecting the President by calling him names other than those given by his parents or due him accompanying the respect due the office.  

I was then convicted by the words of someone who reminded us that God only sets up rulers and He only takes them down, and I am not, but I believe at the time referenced Romans 13.  I realized at that time, that in my personal realtionship with Jesusu Christ, I needed to respect all authority if I believe Him to be Ruler of All.  And simply that Our Heavenly Father, like any other parent does not appreciate that kind of thing between His children. At any rate, our SS lesson is on Romans 12 & 13.  Roman 13:1-7(NIV) reads as follows:

Romans 13
Submission to the Authorities  

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Thoughts, if any?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:13:02 PM by princessdi »
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »

princessdi,
 I think in regards to some of the comments made on the other posts, this was a good  topic. We tend to forget that we need to respect the Office of the President, whether we like him or not. I love the person, Jimmy Carter, but he was a lousy President. It is like my husband was often reminded when he was in the service- you saluted the rank not the person. Good thing, because he often disliked the superior officers :ROFL:  God gave you a good reminder :thumbsup:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »

Yes, mrst53, I thought this leesson was right on time!.  I also think about that we have to remember that God is in control. He never sleeps, He knows and, and even better He knows "why".  When are disrespect something that God has set up or even ordained, we are actually saying that we don't believe He knows what He is doing.

Johann

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »

In light of recent discussions regarding current events, and in my on going effort, as a SS teacher, to make each lesson relevant to our lives today, I bring the following point for discussion.

I was not a fan of the Bush administration, father or son, but son was worse for me.  I was tempted and did initially join in with those who expressed thier frustrations by disrespecting the President by calling him names other than those given by his parents or due him accompanying the respect due the office. 

I was then convicted by the words of someone who reminded us that God only sets up rulers and He only takes them down, and I am not, but I believe at the time referenced Romans 13.  I realized at that time, that in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ, I needed to respect all authority if I believe Him to be Ruler of All.  And simply that Our Heavenly Father, like any other parent does not appreciate that kind of thing between His children.

For many people it seems very difficult to reach the conclusion you are drawing, and yet this is the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ. We may disagree with our rulers, but even if we do, we still have to follow their rulings in all the things that are not forbidden by Scripture. Even if we know that our rulers follow certain things which we feel are forbidden by Scripture, that does not release us from keeping the speed limits nor any other rule that we do not like.

As far as I know no ruler has yet forced you or your daughter to have an abortion against your will. It that should ever be the case you may have to flee to the mountains or to another country where such rules do not apply. God has never promised us full justice under any government on this Earth, but He promises us full justice in His Kingdom. We must be prepared to enter when Jesus Comes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up