Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review and Herald - Problems?  (Read 7111 times)

Johann

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Review and Herald - Problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

Well, they are just following the trend here.  I am sure that the economy has impacted them also.  It has our local conference, They also did some layoffs, etc.  Giving is down because people are unemployed, just a domino effect.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

I think a lot more people are reading on line and that has hurt the publishing business everywhere. I guess Kindles are nice, but for me, there is nothing like a good solid book :dogwag:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:48:50 PM »

Excellent point, Mrst!  That is effecting all print media! 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »

I think a lot more people are reading on line and that has hurt the publishing business everywhere. I guess Kindles are nice, but for me, there is nothing like a good solid book :dogwag:

And so why do they not go "on-line" and save millions in layout, set-up, printing and distribution costs? We could put the savings to work printing the "unread books" and distributing them.

Frankly, there is nothing I hate more than getting the monthly papers so I can see how our administrators go about wasting millions on travel and other expenses. I just grind my teeth in utter disgust when our Administrators PR papers report that half a dozen administrators go to Haiti to deliver deliver a $10,000 check for releif...my first question is what did it cost to send them there for a "photo-op"...maybe the church needs a TEA Party movement....Tithe-waste Enough Already!!!

Plenty of need for "over-sight" of SDA administrative entities, despite their vicious resistance to these overtures. A definite step forward would be that religious entities really ought to have to file annual 940's...if they take donations, they should be accountable to those who donate...or send it somewhere you can get accountability!!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Johann

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »

More than 50 years ago I attended the SDA Theological Seminary then located next door to the Review and Herald plant.  This gave us the opportunity to take a peek at the presses in function and the huge stock of books available.

Back in 2003 on our way to 3ABN Camp Meeting we passed Hagerstown and stopped by the R&H - and what a difference. Now everything is computerized and there is only one line from the computer to the ready for shipping bound volume and everything is shipped immediately to the ABC stores. I think they told us they only keep some copies of the SDA Bible Commentary and a few other standard items in stock.

This is already obsolete as the latest electronic book readers are on their way out to replace our libraries. My stacks of dog-eared dictionaries are being dumped in favor of Internet access to newer and better dictionaries I can use while writing. There is no excuse - they will even correct my grammar if I let them.

scratsmom

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »

If you read about James White's printing operation, it was cutting edge for the times. But as an organization ages, it typically becomes top heavy and slower to respond to changes that need to be made.
Our denomination has layers of administration that were needed in an age where information traveled slowly. Do we need them all now? Do we need publishing houses (plural) when the printed page is utilized less than in the past? How can we be cutting edge when everything new is treated with suspicion and takes a generation to be accepted, when young people are not given responsibility because they might make mistakes and they don't do things the way we have always done it? How do we downsize a bloated organization when the ones voting to do it are the ones who would lose their paycheck? How do we justify having more office/support staff than we do employees in the field, worldwide?
I don't believe it will happen until there are no other options. When the builder generation passes off the scene and their unquestioning generous support dries up, we will be forced to reallocate our resources. It will be done with much sighing and crying about the "good old days" when the saints were more faithful.
But that's just my opinion...

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »

Good to see you back GJ!!

If I am not mistaken the "Review" is online in the form of "Review Online".  I believe they are posted regularly on BSDA, if I am not mistaken.  However, that is part of what is killing most print media, is that people now go online to read their publications.

And so why do they not go "on-line" and save millions in layout, set-up, printing and distribution costs? We could put the savings to work printing the "unread books" and distributing them.

Frankly, there is nothing I hate more than getting the monthly papers so I can see how our administrators go about wasting millions on travel and other expenses. I just grind my teeth in utter disgust when our Administrators PR papers report that half a dozen administrators go to Haiti to deliver deliver a $10,000 check for releif...my first question is what did it cost to send them there for a "photo-op"...maybe the church needs a TEA Party movement....Tithe-waste Enough Already!!!

Plenty of need for "over-sight" of SDA administrative entities, despite their vicious resistance to these overtures. A definite step forward would be that religious entities really ought to have to file annual 940's...if they take donations, they should be accountable to those who donate...or send it somewhere you can get accountability!!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Johann

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »

Somewhere I read that the leader of Remnant Publications was supposed to restore R&H. Wonder if that is happening?
Pages: [1]   Go Up