Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hannah and Eli  (Read 4320 times)

Emma

Hannah and Eli
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »

Sabbath School is over here, I have listened to a very interesting commentary on the story of Hannah.

One point interested me,  and I wondered what others thought of it.   When Eli responded to Hannah's saying she was praying
in great anguish, Eli said "May the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of Him".

The teacher thought that Eli's relationship with God was so impoverished by the behaviour of his sons and his failure to restrain them,
that he could not give Hannah the assurance that her prayer would be answered.

I have a strong personal feeling  that we do not tell God what to do, or tell others what God is going to do....it is all according to His will....but perhaps when prophets are/were extremely close to God they could give such an assurance.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Hannah and Eli
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

Last Sabbath, the teacher was late so I started teaching until she got there.  This was such a deep subject, so many ways to go, we did not cover even a good fourth of it. I borught up a point, and it wasn't even the direction she was going.  Both valid points. Amazing study!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up