Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sentencing hearing tomorrow at 10 am.  (Read 16292 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Sentencing hearing tomorrow at 10 am.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

Yes, kinda like that.

Do you mean something such as providing a car to a person whom they sought favors from?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »

No, I have a mother with Alzheimers. If I didn't I would have liked to have been there. It's a 2 hour drive, but an interesting session.

You have my sympathy in dealing with your own beloved mother. It seems unfair and we do not understand. Thank God for the promise of a kingdom with no more sickness.

While growing up I remember one distraught member who was so sad that she hadn't visited someone before they died.

One nice thing about taking care of a mother with infirmities is that one has no regrets when they pass away, regrets that one should have been there when one wasn't, that kind of thing.

mfc10

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »

[/quote]
While growing up I remember one distraught member who was so sad that she hadn't visited someone before they died.
One nice thing about taking care of a mother with infirmities is that one has no regrets when they pass away, regrets that one should have been there when one wasn't, that kind of thing.
[/quote]

Thanks, Bob, for saying that...My elderly mother & I spend lots of time together.  :thumbsup:
Maggie

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »

Thanks, Bob, for saying that...My elderly mother & I spend lots of time together.  :thumbsup:
Maggie

Good for you, Maggie.  Treasure every minute of it.  I lost my mom in May, and the hole in my heart is huge.

mrst53

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »

I consider it a great blessing to care for my Mom. She gave up so much for me, I can do no less for her. My only regret is that my husband does not understand the blessing I receive from  caring for her and only sees and feels that he is not getting enough attention from me. We have been married 37 yrs and my mothers adores him, but he does not care for her the same way. It was his idea for her to come live with us, but after a year, it is unsatifactory, yet he says he doesn't want her to go into a Nursing home. Too bad, I can't clone myself. :ROFL:

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »

I've never been to a sentencing hearing, but I've been in court literally hundreds of times on small claims cases. The way it works in those is everyone is there at the same time, and the judge calls the cases one by one. I'm assuming the sentencing hearings will work the same way.

Sentencing hearings are scheduled events just the same way hearings on the merits are. May be a delay because the prior scheduled case is delayed, but it will lead with the clerk calling the states allegations and then noting the plea on the record. The judge will then explain the charge and repeat the call of the plea. The judge will then ask the state for a recommendation. The probation staff will then report and the judge must then allow the victims to speak. After the victims make their position clear, the perpetrator is given his chance to speak and plea for mercy. Defense counsel will then put on evidewnce to prove perpetrator may not survive a jail sentence for health reasons and will put on his witnesses. Perpetrators counsel will then counter with a plea base upon the plea agreement. The Judge will then ask the perpetrator to stand and will read the courts judgment and sentence for breaching the peace of the state of Virginia. May God have mercy on his soul!!!

Chances are, the judge will pretty closely follow the recommendation of the state.

Gailon Arthur Joy

AUReporter

GRAT

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »

I consider it a great blessing to care for my Mom. She gave up so much for me, I can do no less for her. My only regret is that my husband does not understand the blessing I receive from  caring for her and only sees and feels that he is not getting enough attention from me. We have been married 37 yrs and my mothers adores him, but he does not care for her the same way. It was his idea for her to come live with us, but after a year, it is unsatifactory, yet he says he doesn't want her to go into a Nursing home. Too bad, I can't clone myself. :ROFL:

He needs to GROW UP!!  His attitude seems extreamly selfish.  I have taken care of my mother for at least 4 years.  We live in the same home.  She has an appartment at the end of my house.  It is hard at times and really keeps me tied down.  The alternative is just not an option.  She didn't take me to an orphanage when I became inconvenient.  I know I will never be sorry that I did this for her and it won't be forever which is hard to think about.  Stand up and tell your husband to get over himself.  :hot:

mrst53

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »

Grat, I think most of my husband's problems stems from the fact that his mother abandoned him at age 8. She put him out to foster care...When she did pick him for weekends, she went out on dates and had sex int the front seat with men. Not a great mother... My mother on the other hand, has always been there for me and is a great Christian woman-just the opposite of his and I think he is a little jealous, altho he says not.
I have tried to convince him that I will never abandon him, regardless, but that I also owe something to my mom and he is also going to have to accept that..I have a friend who will babysit her, if he wants to go out on dates and if he wants to go away for the day, I can arrange for a day sitter- of course that will cost us $7-10 an hour, but Mom has the money to pay for that and so do we. I would think that should be a good compromise- so far that hasn't happened.... We are going for counseling now... I hope it helps..Please pray for him, as he doesn't know Christ..that in itself would be a step forward...

GRAT

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »

Things always look different when you see them through different eyes.  Will pray that he find Christ and the peace that comes with it.  What a mess parents can make of their children's lives years and years after the fact.  Hope the counseling helps.    God will bless you for your loving care of your mother.  :pals:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »

It is just so amazing to me that we all can talk here, and never know what is happening on the other end of the connection.

Mrst, your husband is truly conflicted within himself.  He knows you are doing the right thing, but is fighting his own insecurities that have absolutely nothing to do with you.  Abandonment issues are no joke.  My parents were foster parents allof our lives, and my sister and I continued in the family tradition.  I have seen this on many levels, many times over.  Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »

Thank-you all, I have found so many friends here. I don't mean to burden anyone with my problems. I know each of you carry your own. God led me here for one reason(TS) but gave me many reasons to stay. Altho we all live across this great country of ours and share many faiths, we share one God and one Lord, Jesus Christ. That has made us friends and prayer warriors.

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »

Sorry to hear that Snoopy. You and yours are in my prayers.  God's love, joy comfort, and peace to you all.

Good for you, Maggie.  Treasure every minute of it.  I lost my mom in May, and the hole in my heart is hug
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

Amen!  It is what we are to do ....Bare one another's burdens", right?  Funny thing is it is not a burden, but a joy to to encourage one another.

Thank-you all, I have found so many friends here. I don't mean to burden anyone with my problems. I know each of you carry your own. God led me here for one reason(TS) but gave me many reasons to stay. Altho we all live across this great country of ours and share many faiths, we share one God and one Lord, Jesus Christ. That has made us friends and prayer warriors.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »

Thank you, Di.  It's been a tough few months.

Sorry to hear that Snoopy. You and yours are in my prayers.  God's love, joy comfort, and peace to you all.

Good for you, Maggie.  Treasure every minute of it.  I lost my mom in May, and the hole in my heart is hug

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

Snoopy,

I am also sorry to hear about your loss.

As I lost my mother to a premature death, I know what it feels like.  She was only 47 years old when she died.  My father lived to almost 93 before he died.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up