Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABIGAIL: NO VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCES  (Read 5030 times)

princessdi

• Veteran Member
ABIGAIL: NO VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCES
« on: October 29, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »

LESSON 5 *October 23 - 29

Abigail: No Victim of Circumstances

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study:

1 Samuel 25, Isa. 28:23, 53:12, Dan. 9:15–19, Matt. 15:10, Rom. 8:34.

Memory Text:

“Wisdom rests in the heart of him who has understanding, But what is in the heart of fools is made known” (Proverbs 14:33, NKJV).  
      Have you ever felt a victim of circumstances? Have you ever wished you could be somewhere else? Or that you were someone else? Consider, then, the character for this week: Abigail.
She was an intelligent and beautiful woman but, unfortunately, married a selfish, short-sighted, and mean man, Nabal—a descendant of Caleb, but nothing like his esteemed forefather. Nabal may have been wealthy, but his name or nickname, which means “fool” or “foolish,” accurately reflected his character.

In the time of Abigail and Nabal, marriages were prearranged, and so Abigail probably had no choice in the matter. Circumstances seemed to speak against her in such a marriage as this. Conditions were not favorable, but in the glimpse that we are given into the life of Abigail, we are encouraged not to become victims of circumstances.

Abigail did not try to escape reality. She was realistic about her situation (1 Sam. 25:25), but she did not let circumstances ruin her. She decided to grow where she was planted.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:25:13 PM by princessdi »
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: ABIGAIL: NO VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCES
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »

Happy Sabbath Everyone!

I would like to apologize for being late in posting the SS lesson this week. It has been hectic to say the least.

Once again, I encourage everyone to take this time out to discuss the SS lesson. Maybe bring some thoughts from your own local classes. 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »

Ever since I read about Abigail in the Bible as a child has she remained a remarkable woman in my mind.

What a great lesson for all of us in Her experience as recorded in 1 Samuel 25

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:51:24 PM by Johann »

mrst53

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »

It has been a long time since I had read the story of Abigail. There are lots of women who continue to stand in the place of the husband.
Pages: [1]   Go Up