Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.  (Read 80110 times)

Adam

• Veteran Member

I received word that SNAP (The survivors Network of those abused by priest) will be at the Community Church of God tomorrow.... where Tommy formally pastored... passing out material to encourage other's to come forward. I have been told, but not sure, that some of the members asked them to leave previously. The director has said she is going to be there anyway because others need to come forward.

Let's pray that if there are other victims that they do come forward.  I can tell you this organization (Snap) has been of great strength and courage to my dear friend Alex during this time.

Let's also pray that the church allows them to reach out to other's who may be hurting.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:26:34 PM by Adam »
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »

Any update on this?

JustWondering

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

I found this online...

SNAP Press Release
http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/2010_press_releases/112110_victims_and_supporters_to_leaflet_outside_fairfax_church.htm

Victims and supporters to leaflet outside Fairfax church

They seek others hurt by child molesting former pastor

Former pastor just pled guilty to sexually abusing two boys

Groups urge anyone who “saw, suspected or suffered” crimes to get help

They beg parents to ask loved ones “Did this cleric (or others) ever hurt you?”

WHAT: As parishioners leave Sunday service, clergy sex abuse victims and supporters will hand out fliers about a former pastor who recently pleaded guilty to “taking indecent liberties with two minors.” The leaflets will urge:

• churchgoers to talk to their children about the cleric and sexual abuse,
  • current pastor to use church bulletins and other means to prod victims to come forward &
  • anyone who saw, suspected or suffered his misdeeds to come forward and get help.

WHEN: Sunday, November 21 at 11:45 a. m.

WHERE: Outside Community Church of God, 2500 Gallows Road, Dunn Loring, Virginia

WHO: Three-four individuals who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org) and/or a Catholic lay reform group called VOTF (Voice of the Faithful)

WHY: In March, Tommy R Shelton Jr was charged with two counts of aggravated sexual battery, two counts of taking indecent liberties with a minor and two counts of sodomy.

From 1995-2000, Shelton was a pastor at Community Church of God in Dunn Loring, Virginia.

Shelton pled guilty in July to two counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under his supervision as part of a plea deal. This past Monday a Fairfax County Circuit Court judge rejected the plea deal.

According to the November 15th, Washington Post, Judge Bellows said "there's no expression of remorse. This submission doesn't even acknowledge that he committed the offense... I've got a plea to two very serious charges, that involves no jail time. And on top of it, I've got a defendant that's expressing no remorse, and I've got victims that are willing to participate in the litigation. I'm trying to understand why I would accept this agreement."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/15/AR2010111506949.html

The case is scheduled to go to the Grand Jury on December 21.

SNAP believes there may be other victims of Shelton here in Virginia as well as in Illinois that haven’t come forward yet.

Shelton previously worked at Ezra Community of God Church in West Frankfort in southern Illinois.

The victims are being represented by Attorney Michael Reck, 714-742-6593, MReck@manlytstewart.com

David Clohessy 314-566-9790 SNAPclohessy@aol.com,
Barbara Blaine 312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com

Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org  

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »

Quite honestly, I'd never give that organization a second look. They appear to be just a bunch of media hounds.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »

Well, Well, Pastor Dryden does read over here!!!! I was told that Pastor Dryden called the director of SNAP at 7:15 am to try to discourage her from coming today.

Pastor- If you can read this-why can't you answer my questions?????
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

JustWondering

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »

Quite honestly, I'd never give that organization a second look. They appear to be just a bunch of media hounds.
Will you please share why you came to this conclusion?  Thanks

JustWondering

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

Well, Well, Pastor Dryden does read over here!!!! I was told that Pastor Dryden called the director of SNAP at 7:15 am to try to discourage her from coming today.

Pastor- If you can read this-why can't you answer my questions?????
Did you hear if the SNAP folks went to the church or if they were persuaded not to?

vestedinterest

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »

There were 5 (I believe) people from SNAP who peacefully handed out literature to the congregants of the Church at Dunn Loring as they exited the morning service.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

That is correct. They showed up anyway. My understanding is that most was very accepted. They did have problems with a couple, who claim Tommy's innocent.
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »

There were 5 (I believe) people from SNAP who peacefully handed out literature to the congregants of the Church at Dunn Loring as they exited the morning service.

You sound like a member of the church.....by any chance can you get Pastor Glenn Dryden to answer my questions?
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »

I do know Pastor Dryden and I am certain that he is capable of deciding for himself whether or not to answer your questions (I assume you mean those posed in another thread).  The level of animosity I see directed towards him causes me to suspect that no answer he could possibly give would ever satisfy his vilifiers. But I could certainly be mistaken.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

Welcome, vestedinterest!  I appreciate your perspective!

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »

I do know Pastor Dryden and I am certain that he is capable of deciding for himself whether or not to answer your questions (I assume you mean those posed in another thread).  The level of animosity I see directed towards him causes me to suspect that no answer he could possibly give would ever satisfy his vilifiers. But I could certainly be mistaken.

Excuse me? Animosity?

You are telling me that people should not need to know why on earth his signature appeared on Tommy's renewal license far after Dryden was "bringing Tommy down".

I'm sorry but Animoisity is allowing a pervert to continue to harm children.  When Dryden signed his signature on there he was giving Tommy a free pass to hurt more.

Does Dryden sincerely care more about his "fame and prestige" than to refuse to sign?

You may call it whatever you wish, but I call it two-faced.

Dryden is not by any means innocent when he signed his signaure as late as 2001.  

Animosity is a good term, The victims should have alot of it towards someone who claimed to be on their side, then when an investigation discovers he was in the mix!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:04:38 PM by Adam »
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »

Also you use the term "vilifier" which means- "To make vicious and defamatory statements about."

Please use another term. These are not vicious defamatory statments...

These are fact. Does Glenn Dryden deny his signatures appearing on Tommy's 2001 ordination certificate?

If he does I can prove him to be a liar.

That is not a "vicious defamatory statment" it is fact.

So, I kindly ask you to rephrase that or appologize. Your choice.
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »

Welcome, vestedinterest.

Adam, is there any answer that Brother Dryden might give that would satisfy you?

There are posts around here that come across as if there is a bit of dislike for him. That is unfortunate, in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up