Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.  (Read 80328 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: SNAP to appear at the Community Church of God in Dunnloring, Va. tomorrow.
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:08 AM »

I googled SNAP and am impressed with their work.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »

So did I, and as I suspected all they're trying to do is drum up business for counselors. Just another dime-a-dozen bunch who  consider abuse victims too stupid to deal with things on our own.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

vestedinterest

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »

So did I, and as I suspected all they're trying to do is drum up business for counselors. Just another dime-a-dozen bunch who  consider abuse victims too stupid to deal with things on our own.

Sounds like you're not a big fan of counseling.... I know when I have a headache I take an aspirin and am glad for the relief, and if someone says,"You're weak (or stupid) because you need an aspirin to get rid of your headache" I would likely reply, "yep, gonna do it every time I hurt".  It's okay to get some help working through something so life-altering as (pastoral) abuse.. If you haven't sought help so far, would you at least consider it?

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »

You don't understand English very well, do you? I said mind your own business. I have God, and He's all I need. I don't need to pay some egghead with no life experience who is simply too lazy to work for a living.

Enough already. Drop it.
Duane Clem

vestedinterest

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »

Shhhh. You're not in charge of me! I say things because I want to, not because I "don't understand English very well" LOL
But if you are happy being unhappy, go for it. God IS all you need, but gotta wonder if you're making use of all the resources HE has placed at your disposal. Our mark of identity is supposed to be LOVE (John 13:35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.)  How's that workin' for ya?

JustWondering

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

So did I, and as I suspected all they're trying to do is drum up business for counselors. Just another dime-a-dozen bunch who  consider abuse victims too stupid to deal with things on our own.
...I have God, and He's all I need. I don't need to pay some egghead with no life experience who is simply too lazy to work for a living.

I respectfully disagree with your total disregard for counseling.  I do agree that counsel from the Lord is the way to go and trumps all other counsel.  However, seeking counsel from wise Christian people around us is Biblical, as long as that counsel is weighed in light of God's Word.
Without counsel, plans go awry, But in the multitude of counselors they are established. (Proverbs 15:22 NKJV)

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. (Proverbs 15:22 NIV)

Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.  There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the LORD’s counsel—that will stand. (Proverbs 19:20-21 NKJV)

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails. (Proverbs 19:20-21 NIV)

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise. (Proverbs 12:15 NKJV)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:10:28 AM by JustWondering »

Johann

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »

Can we get off this rabbit trail? :rabbit:

I agree Bro. Dryden needs to show where his loyalty lies. I further agree that he has questions he needs to answer. However, publically criticizing him in open forum is not the way to go.

I have known Bro. Dryden since I was in second or third grade. He and I have had our share of issues in the past. However, openly criticizing him in public is not healthy for anyone involved.

:dogwag:

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »

SNAP is primarily made up of people with life experience in the matter they are addressing. It is nice that they have stepped out to help others who have been in similar circumstances. These are people of action, and actions speak louder than words.

vestedinterest

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

Yes, the people who stopped by the Church in Dunn Loring introduced themselves as abuse survivors, and I was impressed with their demeanor.

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »

I wasn't going to tell this story, but "VestedInterest" has encouraged me to do so.

Glenn Dryden was my principal at Ezra for several years. There was one incident that he did that was far from "Godly".

I was accused of an act by Pastor Dryden one evening. He accused me of it and even suspended me from school.  Even far after other people had told him I was innocent of this that he accused me of.

Duane's mother at that time was my teacher. I remember her telling me "Alex, I don't know why he won't listen." She appologized to me for the way he was acting.

There are other incidents that I could explain, but will not. That involved disagreements with his wife.

I can say this- Dryden's wife has appologized to me in person, but I have never received any kind of apology from him. 

"Vested Interest" you have no right to attack Duane. He is one of few people that I would trust with anything. Before you spout off protecting Dryden... please get your facts straight.
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

Alex L. Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »

Welcome, vestedinterest.

Adam, is there any answer that Brother Dryden might give that would satisfy you?

There are posts around here that come across as if there is a bit of dislike for him. That is unfortunate, in my opinion.
Well Bob, all I can say is that you obviously have never had occasion to disagree with Glenn Dryden. He becomes very hard to get along with if you challenge him on anything.

Have you had to sit under his pastorate and watch him run off youth after youth, most of which you yourself worked very hard to keep on church to begin with? Have you ever had him pass around a letter behind your back to the parents of the youth, one that was designed to damage your credibility? Have you ever heard him tell the congregation, from the pulpit, that you needed to allow God to move in your life, then deny he ever said it when he found out you heard it? Have you ever had him go to three families of youth in your church and tell them you were removed from the bus ministry for doing "inappropriate things with children", then lie to you about it and go threaten those three families into silence when you confront him?

Nah, didn't think so.
Dear Duane,
It is hard to imagine what you have been through in this long painful saga, but your posts ring with pain, bitterness, and anger.  There is probably not an outcome that would suit you, because nothing can fix or undo what has been done. Nonetheless, your unrelenting vendetta against Pastor Dryden undermines your cause. At times it sounds like you want Tommy Shelton to be held accountable, yet somehow you throw Glenn Dryden into the mix as someone who has harmed you, perhaps more than Tommy.(Personally, I have known Glenn Dryden since 1991, and we have had many disagreements/differences of opinion  and I have NEVER seen him behave in any way other than one that reflected the character of a Godly man)  Now you are criticizing SNAP because they use publicity as a way to try to reach silent victims of abuse. I don't know you, but based on your posts, it would seem that you are full of hatred. Is there anything someone could do for you that might ease your pain? I mean that sincerely - no one deserves to live under such oppression.

Again, "Vested Interest" get your facts straight! I will admit after I found out that Dryden's singnature appeared on Tommy's renewal license that it made me question him. I believe that he does need to answer some questions. I am dumbfounded as it seems you believe that it was ok.

Also it is certainly Duane's right to demand questions too. Who are you to downgrade? Are you going to say that "I am full of hatred?" You need to look up the deffinition of "hatred". I'm done here.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:46:51 AM by Alex L. Walker »
Alex L. Walker
"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."~ Thomas Jefferson

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »

If anyone can show me Scripture where God gives us the ok to go to the world for  answers to out problems, please post it. Until then, I believe I'll keep speaking out against Satan's tool of secular counseling.

And vestedinterest, I told you I have God, but yoi obviously believe that sometimes God needs help. That renders your advice totally useless.
Duane Clem

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »

VestedInterest, be sure to tell Glenn Dryden that he is just as guilty as Tommy. By signing his signature to Tommy's renewal slip he allowed himself to be no better.

And Bob Pickle:

I see you ingored a line of questions that was posed to you. Why?

Hopefully Glenn Dryden is faced with legal problems in this mess- that way the truth can be known, as it seems he's to "coward" to face them now.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

Let's try this again.

Pastor Dryden:

1. Why in 2001 did your signature appear on a renewal license for Tommy R. Shelton?

2. Is it true that you was the secretary of the Ministerial council beginning in the mid to late 80's and you was responsible for making sure that renewal licenses was issued? And that you had given Tommy Shelton his even up to 2001 when he send them back to the council?

3. If it was your job to issue them, how could you in good conscience sign your name allowing him a "free ticket" to continue pastoring and hurting children?

4. Why didn't you resign your position?

It is unimaginable that you would sign your signature giving him the authority to continue to pastor even far after you was trying to "bring him down."

One must wonder was your motive truly doing what was right or was it a personal issue?

These are questions that need to be answered
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »

You know I have to admit, that if I were these guys I would want an answer from Pastor Dryden also.  He does seem to be speaking with a forked tongued, so to speak.
Guys, is there any way you can contat him directly to pose these questions?  I also agree with the premise that he might be apprehensive about answering these questions after being "busted out" on the world wide web.  Just trying to find the best way to get these answers for you all.  I know it is extremely important to you.

About the anger....yeah guys, you are pretty angry.  However, at this point you are entitled to that anger.  Healing is aprocess, and that process includes anger.  I can even see at this point where you might have gone through the anger process, and now with TS on arrested and going to trial, that anger process might be revisited.  Things change from day to day, and there is not guarantee that this thing will be resolved to your complete satisfaction or any portion thereof.  The trick is, not to stay there in your anger.

Duane, there are christian counselors who are very good in this area.  I know a few, but of course they are all on the "left coast" as they say.  No need to go to the "world" or someone who doesn't understand about the healing power of God.  I can understand your apprehension in going to someone who doesn't understand your faith in God.  

Someone mentioned the Oprah show.  They had a man who had counseled about 1,000. men who had been abused. I am not sure of his religious atanding, but I know that Tyler Perry defintiely attributes his healing to his faith in God.  There maybe christian based resources to be found on Oprah's site.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:59:11 PM by princessdi »
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up