Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Statement from SNAP  (Read 4421 times)

Adam

• Veteran Member
Statement from SNAP
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »

Former Virginia pastor charged with sexually abusing minors;
SNAP reaches out to parishioners.

Statement by Becky Ianni  of Burke, Virginia, Washington, DC/Virginia SNAP director, the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (703 801 6044, SNAPVirginia@cox.net)

We are here today because Tommy Shelton  Jr, a former pastor of this church, was charged in March with sexually abusing two children. He pleaded guilty in July to two counts of taking indecent liberties with a child under his supervision.

Last Monday Judge Bellows turned down that plea deal because the documents showed no real remorse and no jail time. The case will be heard in front of the grand jury on December 21st.

Today we want to
•beg anyone who saw, suspected or suffered Shelton’s  misdeeds to come forward and get help,

•ask the parents of this church to talk to their children about Shelton and about sex abuse,

•urge Pastor Dryden to reach out to his congregation asking anyone who has been harmed or who has information about harm done to go to the police

It is extremely hard for victims of childhood sexual abuse to come forward. Most victims are in their 40’s or 50’s or older before they are able to speak about what happened to them. These victims are only in their 20’s. I want to thank these two brave victims for finding the courage to come forward. By their actions they have made this community safer.

One of the victims told me” After coming forward to the police about the acts that was forced upon me there has been a great sense of relief. I encourage anyone who has been hurt by this man to come forward and contact the police immediately. We cannot allow him to hurt anymore children.”

We hope the words of this courageous victim will inspire others who may have been harmed by Shelton to come forward so that they can begin to heal and so that this child molester will be brought to justice.

When victims and witnesses speak out children are safer, victims can begin to heal and justice can happen. When victims and witnesses stay silent children continue to be abused and victims continue to live in silence and pain.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Re: Statement from SNAP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »

Adam, could you provide a link to the above statement? Or did it arrive via email?

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »

Bob: It was sent from a friend via. email.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »

They sure do a lot of patting themselves on the back. To hear them tell it, of it wasn't for them victims just wouldn't have a reason to get up in the morning.

I'm glad I have the Creator of the Universe on my side, and don't have to fool with these leeches.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

vestedinterest

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »

Adam, could you provide a link to the above statement? Or did it arrive via email?

Here is the link to their press statement, but it doesn't contain the exact message from the sheets they distributed:

http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/2010_press_releases/112110_victims_and_supporters_to_leaflet_outside_fairfax_church.htm

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

These are people who are truly following in the footsteps of Jesus. They don't sing and preach and demand ticket sales and offerings, they are actually taking genuine action, and sacrificing their time and money to help others who have been abused like they were. Jesus told the story of the Samaritan, a man who was everything the church despised. But because instead of just spouting words, he went out of his way to help another person, Jesus considered him closer to God than God's people. I wish them success in their endeavor to help other people.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »

Here is the link to their press statement, but it doesn't contain the exact message from the sheets they distributed:

http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/2010_press_releases/112110_victims_and_supporters_to_leaflet_outside_fairfax_church.htm

Thanks, Glenn.
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks, Glenn.
[/quote]

Whatever you say, Adam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up