Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pastor Shawn Boonstra  (Read 22790 times)

mfc10

Pastor Shawn Boonstra
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »

I received an email yesterday from Pastor Shawn regarding his health & his having to step down as Speaker/Director of "It is Written." Today, I received this email as well, which was sent out to all IIW supporters:

"Dear Friends of It Is Written,

Mere words cannot express my appreciation for all the calls and e-mails of support that arrived in the It Is Written office after the e-mail I sent yesterday. It's been so overwhelming that we can hardly keep up, but please know that your messages have buoyed my heart.

Since it appears that some rumors are still circulating, I wanted to reaffirm yesterday's news:

Due to health issues, I am relinquishing my duties as Speaker/Director of It Is Written. I take this step with considerable regret because I believe the work of It Is Written is the most important and the most exciting work on earth. Again, I would like to thank all of those who support this ministry, and all of those who have prayed for me these last few months!

It is not in my nature to be open about my personal health, but I wanted to restate the following because I know people have expressed concern: I'm not dying, I don't have cancer, and I don't have a life-threatening disease. I am, however, dealing with a serious health challenge, and it has gotten to a point where I must take a sabbatical to give my body time to rest.

I am currently in the care of some of the best physicians around, and the thing I would most treasure right now is your continued prayers for my health and my family. Thank you for respecting our privacy at this time.

Again, let me assure you that the It Is Written ministry will not skip a beat in its passion for soul-winning. Our search committee has been prayerfully considering a number of outstanding evangelists, and I have no doubt that the Lord is leading in these efforts—just as He has led throughout the history of this incredible ministry.

Stay tuned, because we expect to have some exciting news along these lines in the coming weeks. As soon as the new Speaker/Director is chosen, you'll be one of the first to know!

It Is Written's current projects are still on track. Your support this month is especially crucial as the ministry moves forward with its bold evangelistic plans for Las Vegas, our growing My Place With Jesus ministry, mission outreach to Papua New Guinea, and other efforts around the world.

With God in charge, a new Speaker/Director to come, an excellent staff in place, and a wise and experienced board, I can't wait to see how God's work moves forward through It Is Written. Thank you once again for all your love and support.

Your brother in Christ,
Pastor Shawn Boonstra"

PLease join me in praying  for his full recovery.  :praying:
Maggie

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Pastor Shawn Boonstra
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »

He and his family are in my prayers.  I like him.  I especially like the "interview" with the Bible characters.  They really made things clear.   I pray for his healing and the strength for them all during this time.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »

Pastor Shawn Boonstra was the previous Director/Speaker of It Is Written Canada, therefore, we, as in my wife and I, have met him at our Maritime Campmeeting.  He had also done the Revelation Speaks Peace evangelistic meetings in Halifax, NS.

We were also informed about his health issues via email and have added him to our Prayer List.

Johann

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:19:16 AM »

It It Is Written
Exciting News from Shawn

Dear Friends of It Is Written,

Jean and I wish to express, once again, our profound thanks for the many kind messages, thoughts and prayers that have been flooding our office. It means the world to us that you continue to pray for our family as I have made the difficult decision to relinquish my role as Speaker/Director and make time for much-needed rest to recover from illness.

Today I have fantastic news to share with you! We have been praying in earnest that God would send the right person to help lead the ministry at this hour—someone who would not only keep the evangelistic fires burning brightly, but also lead us to even greater levels of service for Christ.

My first priority has always been to ensure that your ministry is faithful in its call to frontline evangelism, and in its commitment to presenting Christ through the words of the Bible. I have had total peace of mind and assurance that God had someone prepared to step in and lead our team—and God has revealed that person to us in very clear terms!

His name is Pastor John Bradshaw, a man with a deep commitment to the cause of Christ and an obvious passion for soul-winning. I feel a striking connection with him. He has natural, God-given talents that make him an excellent fit for your It Is Written team, and a warm, Christ-like manner that immediately pulls you in to his experience with Jesus.

He has broad experience in evangelism and broadcasting. John has been an Adventist pastor for 15 years and is currently serving as the pastor of the Village Church near Walla Walla University. He has also held more than 80 evangelistic series, both in the US and abroad.

Our backgrounds and approaches to the work are remarkably similar, and yet he brings new insights and abilities to It Is Written that will expand our impact and help us become even more effective in leading people to Christ.

And most importantly, you can sense in John's presence that his relationship with Jesus is profound. As I've grown to know him, and as we've shared our dreams for the Kingdom, I've felt a deep impression that God was leading us to him, and him to us!

I have much to be thankful for, and it is with a broad smile on my face that I can tell you that I have total peace—excitement—in my heart about the future of our work at It Is Written.

In the coming days, we'll share more about John and his family so that you can become better acquainted, but I didn't want you to have to wait a moment longer than necessary to hear the good news. I've had a peace in my heart to let me know that God was going to do something very special to bless It Is Written in the midst of a difficult moment—as He always does—and He has answered our prayers in a spectacular way.

I already wish it was tomorrow, because each new day is filled with more and more promise, and greater and greater blessings. Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow.

Your brother in Christ,

Shawn Boonstra

Shawn Boonstra

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »

Given recent history at Walla Walla, one is tempted to ask "What good cometh out of Walla Walla"?

Given what Nazareth hath wrought, let us Pray Bradshaw is really it's equivalent to the recent past at It Is Written. No small challenge to walk in the footsteps of Mark Finley and then Shawn Boonstra. Bradshaw comes on the stage at a very critical time in Human and Church History. Let us pray he has REAL CHARACTER and the wisdom to teach God's Message for a very special time.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »

Update:

Sources have told this reporter that John Bradshaw, the new speaker/director of It Is Written, is a graduate of Hartland Institute in Hartland, Virginia.

It is confirmed that he served as an evangelist for Amazing Facts and did several campaigns, mostly West coast churches.

He then became the Senior Pastor of the Village Seventh-day Adventist Church in Walla Walla, Washingtoon state. He has also done a more recent radio program with Gary Gibbs of the Hope Channel under the name "Bible Talks".

Sources retired from Hartland claim he is a "powerful preacher" and a no-none-sense guy very committed to evangelism.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Johann

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »

I hear from the Walla Walla area that John is loved by the people there. His sermons are seen on the Blue Mountain TV network there. Linda Shelton was there.

Johann

Update:

Sources have told this reporter that John Bradshaw, the new speaker/director of It Is Written, is a graduate of Hartland Institute in Hartland, Virginia.

It is confirmed that he served as an evangelist for Amazing Facts and did several campaigns, mostly West coast churches.

He then became the Senior Pastor of the Village Seventh-day Adventist Church in Walla Walla, Washingtoon state. He has also done a more recent radio program with Gary Gibbs of the Hope Channel under the name "Bible Talks".

Sources retired from Hartland claim he is a "powerful preacher" and a no-none-sense guy very committed to evangelism.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

Weary Pilgrim

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone knows what Shawn is ailing from?  He does state that it is not cancer or life-threatening.  Could it be that he is exhausted and worn out?  I can imagine that running a television ministry program can take alot of time and effort.   :dunno:

guide4him

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »

From the start of his ministry at Village church in College Place (not Walla Walla) John Bradshaw has been very involved with Blue Mountain Television Ministries. I believe he was drawn to Village church due to the fact that Village church has been involved with Blue Mountain TV. Sorry to see him go, but God be with him in his new venture. A lot of people changed their membership to Village church from other churches due to Pastor John's style of preaching and involving the church in multi faceted ministries.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:09:34 AM »

My guess and concerns for Shawn Boonstra, Could be totally wrong on this but just some opinions here.

I saw Shawn on the 3 sisters cooking program as I click by and decided to see what Shawn was doing on there since this change. Immediately I started to surmise aha, he is doing a great change in diet. That tells me something has made him to decide to now go vegan instead of just vegetarian. Hopefully it is not what I think that could go wrong. I've been there. Not all people in this world can have diets since the creation of man because of many reasons. Our make up of family habits for generations where our depreciated bodies we have inherited from previous generations. So when people try to make these great changes things happen.

Even tho at least 5 generations for myself were no pork or unclean meats, cigs, alcohol, or coffee drinks, my husband and I became early vegetarian for many many years until some health issues started. I should not have had health issues. My husband being a heavy worker started to become weak and exhausted and fought to keep everything going and we did not know what was the matter. It was my heart when there was no heart trouble in family except for mother having weak heart valves from early child rheumatic fever. When repaired was very healthy again for many years. My heart became unsteady and went to emergency room several times with black specks in my eyes and sweating and chest pain. I was getting pretty scared. I was told by 3 different doctors that came to the same conclusions after many test in different periods of time. At first I was put on heart medicine. I was so weak and could not believe the state I was in.

Finally while at a top Clinic while being with my mother I went down. The answer was this. By all doctors I was told that my body could not hold calcium or potassium for my heart and that I would have to take in more poultry, fish to bind this to my cells. I said what I do not eat any of this...I am vegetarian for many, many years. Now that was a hard thing to do because of my religious beliefs. I again went into more extreme study on the writings of EGW and discovered much in her exact counseling. Do not make yourself weak before the "demand" of it. and at that time she is talking about taking away even the butter, eggs and milk.  Then I realized she also in very dire straits with her health did eat poultry and chicken soup to regain strength. So then we both chose to try and see if this was a solution and doctors points were valid.
We both felt very bad in doing this but...my husband gained some strength for his work and my heart became steady and no medicine. We eat very little as possible but have no more episodes.

And now Shawn has announced he is going Vegan with the best doctors in the world?? I went to see also the best Known Dr's. in the world> I hope I am wrong but have great concern for Shawn now.

I have watched known evangelists over a period of time and saw them become almost emancipated in horrible look and wonder how they can think this is right to take away all vitality that can be seen with skelton look. What I read in SP, this is fanaticism by calling in the demand of time instead of in God's time. Yes the animals are becoming worse and worse but under clean farming it is still available in better health in case some have need for their own individual makeups.

We cannot be Adam and Eve as our bodies in this day and age are nothing of that quality and far from it. WE now have to tread the best we can with what we got from generations of body degenerating. I also am so allergic to legumes that I cannot touch them even when they smell so good. So I also have issues with protein, not enough.  

So if Shawn is out there and passes by this, I hope beyond anything this is not the problem but if it is I am totally concerned, I like Shawn and his family. We must be reasonable in all things and do the best we can for responsible life with what we have. We will not lose eternity for eating the Lev. diet. although I understand where EGW is coming from too. Preparing for end times is here! as she thought Jesus would come in her time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:48:25 AM by tinka »

Johann

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Have just dowloaded Shawn's e-book on Bible Study. It includes touching  stories and important instructions on how to study the Bible, Also warnings how not to misuse it.

Johann

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:13:48 AM »

This is where you can download the book:

http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/gift

Johann

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »

Boonstra and Gemmell Join NAD Ministerial Department

Shawn Boonstra, former speaker/director of It Is Written television program, and Dave Gemmell, Associate Director for the NAD Church Resource Center, have accepted the invitation to join the NAD Ministerial Department. Shawn Boonstra will be associate director with an emphasis in evangelism training and NAD evangelism initiatives and Dave Gemmell will be associate director with an emphasis on pastoral resources. The division is looking forward to a new fellowship in ministry as they begin their new appointments.
NAD NEWS
Pages: [1]   Go Up