Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portland Adventist Medical Center in the News...and Not in a Good Way  (Read 8165 times)

mfc10

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/02/portland_adventist_refuses_to.html

Sigh...Hope they have a good reason for what occurred!

Maggie

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Portland Adventist Medical Center in the News...and Not in a Good Way
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »

Still doing this, are we? 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »

Unfortunately this seems to be the policy at many hospitals all over the world.

Many years ago it was my pastoral duty to visit a member who was a tailor.  When a family member needed emergency and he did not have the funds to pay for the medical help received, the Adventist Mission hospital confiscated his sewing machine and only source of income.

I asked the reluctant hospital return the sewing machine in return for a note where he promised to pay when he had earned the money. They found his sewing machine in their dirty warehouse gathering dust and rust doing nobody any good - just to follow policy.

Do we have an inborn reluctance to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and prefer to follow man-made policies?

mfc10

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:42 AM »

Do we have an inborn reluctance to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and prefer to follow man-made policies?

Unbelievable. This is the type of instance when I wish the name "Adventist" wasn't on the Hospital sign!

Johann

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »

Unbelievable. This is the type of instance when I wish the name "Adventist" wasn't on the Hospital sign!

What can we do  about it? Challenge the copyright on the name?

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »

Yes these indicents are not just unfortunate, but deadly.  It was just this type of "policy"  incident(among others)at an Adventist hospital that caused the death of a black member, and led to the establishment of "regional"(segregated) conferences in NAD that still exist today.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

How do we learn to treat each other like Jesus did?

Yes these indicents are not just unfortunate, but deadly.  It was just this type of "policy"  incident(among others)at an Adventist hospital that caused the death of a black member, and led to the establishment of "regional"(segregated) conferences in NAD that still exist today.

Gregory

• Veteran Member

O.K.  So, here is the story:  The hospital determined that the man in the parking lot was getting the emergency care that he needed.  They required than an ambulance transport him the their ED, where they immediately treated him.  Do I agree with this?  No!  However, it was not a case of a rafusal to treat due to inability to pay.  The man was getting the immediate care he needed from the police.  Yes, his ED care was delayed and that was unfortunate.

The hospital where I work sends its "crash team" to any location on hospital property in the same manner that it is sent to a location inside the hospital.  It goes to parking lots.

But, when we transfered a patient to the University of Colorado hospital, when it was located next door to us, we were required to transfer that patient by ambulance.  It was considered improper care to transfer by any other means.  NOTE:  Our two hospitals were seperated by a 20 foot paved alley.  Yes the buildings were set back a few feet from the alley.

On an interesting point:  The hospital that employes me is limited to giving care to veterans who have qualified to recieve care from us.  We do NOT serve  the general population.  If you haved not qualified to recieve care from us, you are not supposed to get it.  However, we provide care, in an emergency situation, to anyone on our property.  We may bill them later and at a much reduced rate.  Or we may not.  But, we provide care.

A few months back a relative of a patient in surgery informed me that she was having chest pains.  She spent the next several hours in our ED undergoing both labortory tests and radiology workups before we sent her home.  

youngwarrior

I followed this story closely as I work for a hospital a few miles south in Salem, OR.  The news media did not tell the full story.  A video released later shows the charge nurse in the Emergency Department dispatching two EMTs to the scene as soon as the accident was reported.  The EMTs arrived at the accident scene less than a minute after the incident was reported to the ER.  This was also documented on security video released by the hospital.  The reason 911 was also called was to make sure the "jaws of life" were available if the patient needed to be cut out of the vehicle.  A hospital does not have this equipment.  The real problem was that the patient was suffering chest pains and chose to drive himself to the hospital.  He was dead before he hit the post in the parking structure.  Unfortunately the news media prefers to sensationalize stories so they left out some very important details until several days later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up