Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet Jeff Herman new counsel against 3ABN/Community Church of God.  (Read 26278 times)

Adam

• Veteran Member
Re: Meet Jeff Herman new counsel against 3ABN/Community Church of God.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »

I suppose the Church of God has an insurance that will take care of things for them?
I am wondering how someone here might accurately speculate as to the type of insurance policy a Church of God in VA would have? [ But I suppose that is the beauty of speculation - one only has to say "IMHO" or "I suppose" and then not really have to back anything up!]
Perhaps a 5 million dollar policy?
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »

... if you say so....  :dunno:

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »

... if you say so....  :dunno:

No, I'm not saying, I'm just asking. I do however find it interesting that people seem to have an issue with the church being brought to justice for their mistake. They are at FAULT!
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »

I don't know that anyone has expressed a "problem" with it, but it was perhaps somewhat unexpected to read your post here about a suit against 3ABN/Church of God. It is also hard to read the words "the church being brought to justice", but I know there are many different vantage points to view the same event or incident.  There may be those at that church in VA who feel that they were victimized by Mr. Shelton's deception  (rather than by actually being physically harmed themselves) and have been hurting and grieving and lifting up his victims before the Lord... there are no winners or victors in a situation like this. Everyone loses.  :'(

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

I don't know that anyone has expressed a "problem" with it, but it was perhaps somewhat unexpected to read your post here about a suit against 3ABN/Church of God. It is also hard to read the words "the church being brought to justice", but I know there are many different vantage points to view the same event or incident.  There may be those at that church in VA who feel that they were victimized by Mr. Shelton's deception  (rather than by actually being physically harmed themselves) and have been hurting and grieving and lifting up his victims before the Lord... there are no winners or victors in a situation like this. Everyone loses.  :'(

My guess is that the majority of the church there were in the dark and thus victims of a sort.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:54 AM »

My guess is that the majority of the church there were in the dark and thus victims of a sort.

Oh, please. You can't tell me that they were victims. :-/
Billy Graham

DARVO

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »

Dear Adam,

Can you please explain what you meant by your last post? 

Thanks!

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Oh, please. You can't tell me that they were victims. :-/

Sure, they're victims of a sort, are they not? Those who were duped by Tommy Shelton?

Some have tried to assert that Duane Clem wasn't a victim because he was over 18 at the time, but I disagree.

I'm a victim of sorts, am I not? Look at all the grief Danny and Tommy have caused me.

But a victim of sorts is not the same as a victim of child molestation. And a victim of sorts is not the same as Moms in Pain #1 and #2.

There are degrees of victims.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »

Guess we will have to disagree. Pastor Byron Jennings and Gail Woods failed to tell the church of the info they had, as did the church board who I am sure was aware of past misconduct? Even after the first round of allegations did the church not keep Tommy as Pastor? If so, sorry Bob, but victims they are not!
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

The congregation in Dunn Loring did not know about the allegations til long after TS was gone. No, we were not all victims of child molestation, but we are heartbroken that some were. We were victims of deception... my only point with regard to my response to you, Adam, is that the congregation in Dunn Loring is neither the perpetrator nor the enemy.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »

The congregation in Dunn Loring did not know about the allegations til long after TS was gone. No, we were not all victims of child molestation, but we are heartbroken that some were. We were victims of deception... my only point with regard to my response to you, Adam, is that the congregation in Dunn Loring is neither the perpetrator nor the enemy.

I agree to a point. However, some in the church did know. Including Pastor Jennings Wood!
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »

I agree to a point. However, some in the church did know. Including Pastor Jennings Wood!

Those who knew would be harder to call "duped" than those who knew nothing at all.

Let's try not to lump in the innocent with those we think are guilty. Some may have known, and some did not. Those who did not know should not be vilified. It's embarrassing enough as it is.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »

Bob, Bob, yes it is embarrassing that church leadership allowed a pedophile to take their place in the pulpit and harm children I agree!
Billy Graham

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »

Unfortunately, For some churches/entity, it makes no difference how many members knew when offenses occur.  It is the fact that an agent working on behalf of the church/entity were negligent in due diligence and therefore allowed or created the conditions the offense(s) to occur.   
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

vestedinterest

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »

Yes, Princessdi, from a legal standpoint, that would be correct.
I guess my responses are based on how it feels to be a congregant in a church blown apart by something like this, and Adam's saying, "people seem to have an issue with the church being brought to justice for their mistake. They are at FAULT!" I guess as a corportate body, the church could be found at fault in some way - I am not sure what all the ramifications are- but I was thinking more of the people, of which I am one, and though I have many faults, I am perfectly sure this isn't one of them.  But it's probably just a matter of semantics. "Who knew what, and when did they know it" is always a pretty basic part of determining culpability.
But in the end, I cannot help but think of the Prince at the finale of Romeo and Juliet, declaring in despair, "All are punished". I know I am.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up