Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN sued over child molestation!  (Read 112400 times)

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
Re: 3ABN sued over child molestation!
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »

I agree.  So often when, as with most recent cases, the issue is that the perpetrator is denying or just lying about th abuse, the child does not get the help needed, especially in religious circles. The family is convinced to go on as if nothing has happened.  On top of that, these days there are mandated reporters such as doctors, teachers, preachers, even foster parents(from experience I know this).  the child is basically victimze over again by not getting proper help.

Duane, I know it is difficult to believe but there are experienced caring, capable, and godly counselors who can help in this area.  I have met a few being a foster parent. 

FYI

Child sexual abuse has been reported up to 80,000 times a year, but the number of unreported instances is far greater, because the children are afraid to tell anyone what has happened, and the legal procedure for validating an episode is difficult. The problem should be identified, the abuse stopped, and the child should receive professional help. The long-term emotional and psychological damage of sexual abuse can be devastating to the child. http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Child+Sexual+Abuse&section=Facts+for+Families
The child should receive their help, if needed, from someone who has actually been sexually abused. Someone who has just read about it or heard lectures needs to stay out of it. They don't know what they're talking about.
What's difficult to believe is what you said to me months ago that cuased me to leave in the first place.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »

Quote from: princessdi
I have to disagree with you, Duane, it is not like slapping God in the face.  He places "help" for us here on earth all the time.  it is the reason why the Bible puts so much emphasis on encouraging, upholding each other, bearing one another's burdens, and fellowship, while it also says that we have encourage ourselves.  There is a time and season fro everything.  Somethings we work out with God and God alone, others times He sends one of His children who are trained, educated, spiritually gifted and/or a personal testimony to help us.  It seems to me that it is actually you who is dictating to God in which way you will accept His help, limiting His ability to actually help you when He actually has limitless resources.
Duane Clem

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »

Duane!   I am soooo sorry. I didn't realize that I said anything to offend you, let alone have to you leave. I don't even know what it is, but please forgive me.  Why didn't you say anything then?  You know me, if I'm wrong and you check me, I have no problems apologizing, or even recitfying the issue, if possible,.

PM me is you'd like to talk further......Again I sincerely apologize.

I agree.  So often when, as with most recent cases, the issue is that the perpetrator is denying or just lying about th abuse, the child does not get the help needed, especially in religious circles. The family is convinced to go on as if nothing has happened.  On top of that, these days there are mandated reporters such as doctors, teachers, preachers, even foster parents(from experience I know this).  the child is basically victimze over again by not getting proper help.

Duane, I know it is difficult to believe but there are experienced caring, capable, and godly counselors who can help in this area.  I have met a few being a foster parent. 

FYI

Child sexual abuse has been reported up to 80,000 times a year, but the number of unreported instances is far greater, because the children are afraid to tell anyone what has happened, and the legal procedure for validating an episode is difficult. The problem should be identified, the abuse stopped, and the child should receive professional help. The long-term emotional and psychological damage of sexual abuse can be devastating to the child. http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Child+Sexual+Abuse&section=Facts+for+Families
The child should receive their help, if needed, from someone who has actually been sexually abused. Someone who has just read about it or heard lectures needs to stay out of it. They don't know what they're talking about.
What's difficult to believe is what you said to me months ago that cuased me to leave in the first place.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

I DID say something then. Secular counseling has NO place in Christian work, and people who have not been sexually abused have NO business calling themselves sexual abuse counselors. It's no wonder some people have no confidence in the church anymore. We send them right back into the world for "answers." "Oh, this is WAY too big for God. You need a professional."
Duane Clem

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »

Aaaaaahhhh....Well, I am sorry that I hurt you with that statement, it definitely was not my intent, but to maybe get you to open up to ALL the ways God was sending your healing.  Sometimes we are like the drowning swimmer who fights the one trying to save them.  But I also left out that God knows each and everyone of us, and He knows best how to reach His children, especially ones damaged in such an egregious manner.

I hope this explains my original post, and again I am sorry for any hurt I caused you.  It is never, ever, my intention to revictimize anyone.

Quote from: princessdi
I have to disagree with you, Duane, it is not like slapping God in the face.  He places "help" for us here on earth all the time.  it is the reason why the Bible puts so much emphasis on encouraging, upholding each other, bearing one another's burdens, and fellowship, while it also says that we have encourage ourselves.  There is a time and season fro everything.  Somethings we work out with God and God alone, others times He sends one of His children who are trained, educated, spiritually gifted and/or a personal testimony to help us.  It seems to me that it is actually you who is dictating to God in which way you will accept His help, limiting His ability to actually help you when He actually has limitless resources.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Ok, I'm sorry, but can't they be both?  I have a very good friend, best friend who is.

And this is my last word on this.  I really don't mean to cause any further harm to you.  I really like you and support you in your fight here.

I DID say something then. Secular counseling has NO place in Christian work, and people who have not been sexually abused have NO business calling themselves sexual abuse counselors. It's no wonder some people have no confidence in the church anymore. We send them right back into the world for "answers." "Oh, this is WAY too big for God. You need a professional."

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »

Ok, I'm sorry, but can't they be both?
A secular counselor and a Christian counselor? No, they can't.
Duane Clem

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »

No, that is not what I meant. I meant can't they be a professional counselor and a christian.  Which probably makes this particular situation a huge misunderstanding. 

Ok, I'm sorry, but can't they be both?
A secular counselor and a Christian counselor? No, they can't.

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »

Not if they use non Biblical techniques and advice, no.
Duane Clem

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

Well, you always have to be careful and extremely specific in the choosing of counselors for any reason.  None of the christian counselors I know use no biblical techniques, etc. 

One of the more excellent ones I know has a grief counseling group on PhoneFaith weekly.  It is very good.......will eventually deal with all types of loss.

Not if they use non Biblical techniques and advice, no.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up