Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN sued over child molestation!  (Read 110862 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 3ABN sued over child molestation!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »

Looking to see the update on Wikipedia.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

New Child Sex Abuse Lawsuit Filed Against International Christian Network

Suit Says Teen Was Sexually Abused by Network President’s Brother

WHAT
A press conference to announce the filing of a new sex abuse lawsuit against Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN), an international Christian broadcasting network, and the alleged perpetrator, whose brother runs the network

WHEN/WHEN
TODAY, June 20, 12:00pm, across the street from the federal courthouse , 219 S. Dearborn, on the post office plaza at the corner of Adams & Dearborn, Chicago

WHO
The plaintiff-victim and his attorney, a Miami-based advocate for survivors of sexual abuse who has represented hundreds of victims of childhood sexual abuse

DETAILS
JEFF HERMAN, a nationally recognized advocate for survivors of childhood sexual abuse, announces the filing of a new lawsuit against one of the world’s largest Christian broadcasting networks, and the alleged perpetrator, whose brother is the network’s president. 

According to the lawsuit, the teenage victim first met the alleged perpetrator, TOMMY SHELTON, in the late 1990s while Shelton was working for the Illinois-based THREE ANGELS NETWORK (3ABN) in Virginia.  In 2001, the boy began working at the network HQ, about the same time that Shelton was removed from a position as a minister in the Church of God religion for allegations that he sexually abused another child.  Shelton returned to the 3ABN headquarters, where his brother, DANNY SHELTON, was president. The suit says that Tommy Shelton began sexually abusing the boy at the 3ABN facility that same year. According to the suit, Danny Shelton was aware of the allegations against his brother, along with earlier allegations from the 1980s that Tommy Shelton molested children at an Illinois church, prior to the boy’s abuse.     

Walker v. Three Angels Broadcasting Network, Inc., et al. was filed in Chicago federal court early Monday morning.  Copies of the Complaint will be available at the press event, along with a photo of Tommy Shelton.

The plaintiff-victim will appear at the press event and give a brief statement.

Tommy Shelton is currently in Virginia, where he is now facing criminal charges for the sexual abuse of a minor.

CONTACT

Jeff Herman 305 409 7371, jherman@hermanlaw.com

Jessica Arbour 305 318 5444, jarbour@hermanlaw.com

HERMAN, MERMELSTEIN & HOROWITZ, P.A.

18205 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 2218

Miami, FL 33160

(305) 931-2200

www.hermanlaw.com

###

This says that 3ABN is one of the world’s largest Christian broadcasting networks.  But they have claimed that themselves, in the past, haven't they?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »

Looking to see the update on Wikipedia.

I see the update now.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »

Sources have told me there was huge media coverage for this event.
Hmmm, we must have very divergent sources...

LOL!!!!!!! Like you knew what was taking place in Illinois from Virginia???
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »

This is updated:

By Manya Brachear

Tribune reporter

8:15 p.m. CDT, June 20, 2011
An international Christian radio and television network based in West Frankfort in southern Illinois and the brother of the network’s founder were named in a federal child-sex-abuse lawsuit filed in Chicago today.

Three Angels Broadcasting Network, or 3ABN, and the Rev. Tommy Shelton, the brother of the network’s founder Danny Shelton, were named in the complaint filed by plaintiff Alex Walker, of Mattoon.

Walker, now 25, alleges that Tommy Shelton sexually abused him when he worked as a production assistant at 3ABN in 2001. Walker’s lawyer, Jeff Herman, of Miami, said Shelton commuted to 3ABN from his home in Kentucky for the purpose of abusing Walker, which Herman believes makes the civil suit a federal case.

The suit accuses 3ABN of negligence, claiming leaders were aware of the threat Shelton posed to children.

In statement released by 3ABN, the network said Shelton had no reason to come into contact with Walker, who was closely supervised by Walker’s older brother.

“3ABN does not believe that the claims against it have any merit,” the statement said. “We intend to vigorously defend the good name of our organization.”

Walker said he originally met Shelton in 1997 during a two-month visit to Virginia, where Shelton served as a pastor. Shelton now faces criminal charges in Virginia’s Fairfax County tied to Walker’s and another man’s abuse allegations.

According to the civil suit filed Monday, Shelton, a pastor ordained by the Church of God, was suspended by that denomination in 1985 apparently after sexual abuse allegations against him surfaced. He continued to work for Ezra Church of God until the early 1990s.

Shortly after leaving, he started working a variety of jobs for 3ABN, the suit says, eventually moving to Virginia.

After Walker’s brother married Shelton’s daughter, he said, he visited the couple and Shelton in Virginia in 1997. Walker said Shelton abused him on bike rides behind the church where he worked during a two-month time period.

In 2001, Walker said his brother got him a part-time job in the production department of 3ABN in West Frankfort, where Shelton then worked. The abuse continued for a year, according to the suit.

In 2008, Walker went to law enforcement in Virginia, where there is no statute of limitations on sexual abuse allegations. Herman said they would report the allegations in Illinois to federal authorities.

The 3ABN network is affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church. A Seventh-day Adventist group called Save-3ABN has created a website demanding transparency and accountability from the network. It has posted numerous letters and documents that indicate the network was aware of allegations against Shelton decades ago.

In response, the network has sued the group for defamation of character and trademark infringement.

“It’s against our faith to lie,” said Bob Pickle, one of the defendants in that lawsuit. “It’s against our faith to molest children. The idea of no accountability has the potential for making my faith look bad.”

mbrachear@tribune.com

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »

Some of you may want to monitor Save-3ABN.com to check on the counter periodically. It was going at a rate of 1000 or more a day at times I think in 2007, but has been a bit slower since.

But it seems to be clicking along a lot faster now. It was 519330 just a little bit ago, like 10 minutes ago maybe, and is now 519350.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

Alex was just on WGN news!
Billy Graham

vestedinterest

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »

LOL!!!!!!! Like you knew what was taking place in Illinois from Virginia???
Is it very difficult to be antagonistic and contentious all the time, or does it get easier with practice? You amaze me.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »

Watch Alex here:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »

I have always aid, we are only one story away from being busted out just like the RCC.  All it will take now is a ambitious 20/20 reporter who starts looking into the past practices of the SDA church and abuses, especially child molestation.  That sotry here in northern Cali is still fresh in a lot of people's mind.......
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

Some of you may want to monitor Save-3ABN.com to check on the counter periodically. It was going at a rate of 1000 or more a day at times I think in 2007, but has been a bit slower since.

But it seems to be clicking along a lot faster now. It was 519330 just a little bit ago, like 10 minutes ago maybe, and is now 519350.

I just checked the site myself this afternoon.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »

Alex will be doing an interview today on River Radio news. A Radio station that covers Southern Illinois.
Billy Graham

Johann

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 03:48:01 AM »

This is updated:

By Manya Brachear
Tribune reporter
8:15 p.m. CDT, June 20, 2011
An international Christian radio and television network based in West Frankfort in southern Illinois and the brother of the network’s founder were named in a federal child-sex-abuse lawsuit filed in Chicago today.

Three Angels Broadcasting Network, or 3ABN, and the Rev. Tommy Shelton, the brother of the network’s founder Danny Shelton, were named in the complaint filed by plaintiff Alex Walker, of Mattoon.
- - -
“3ABN does not believe that the claims against it have any merit,” the statement said. “We intend to vigorously defend the good name of our organization.”
- - -
mbrachear@tribune.com

They hatch their studio chicks but are not able to prevent the FOX [TV] from entering the den.

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 06:59:40 AM »

Adam,
Please relate to Alex my heartfelt statement for him.
I am just recuperating and still on pain meds for exploratory surgery to undue cysts and infection for 2 years from bad dental work. Whole face is taking a beating right now but I was shocked when I opened up just now on a better day for me.

First of all the shock is that I have your twin for a grandson, handsome, wholesome, clean cut looking. He is just 15 though and is tops in all sports and looks about 18 in size and maturity.
 I saw you and my heart I do not know if angrier or outburst in tears. Alex, you are a beautiful person, and must by all means feel that all this will come to an end and you have everything going to lead the rest of your life to eternity. It has been a horrible trial and some even worse as some are murdered in body and spirit. You appear to stand and have courage and as bad as it seems now, this post has endured, justifications, cover ups, lies and horrible ness from all directions of disbelief from the denials of the  :horse"eating up all the hay" and where did all that hay go to --nowhere but to the ground and now they will suffer the consequences. They have been warned by few and felt all would be protected by their secondary Hollywood performances as long as they felt they were giving their own style praises to the Lord. Same thing as Cain and Able. God excepted Able but not Cain.
So now their unbelief of this will soon turn to belief...that justice comes around sooner or later.
I am so sad Alex for you or anyone that is triggered like this, but stay courageous and know one thing.... All the rest would not have happened if corruption and misgivings were not in that fold of every kind. So therefore your story is just one aspect of their corruption of many. Do not let this take you far from Jesus as all have trials,traumas, and traps of nets we all seem to fall in some much different and some worse. I am praying for your closure of the worst part. Don't worry now finish it in stride and look to true love and family in the future. It was an experience that will give you the best aid to others. I would hug you if I could but soon it will be behind and then let it be there or your belief in God will be in want as you must believe to bury it with Him as His Grace will help in all things. They could have handled it all differently to aid in your welfare but they chose this route themselves and that is no doubt the work of the devil on their behalf and their stupidity of ignoring. But will the church now take note??? their laxness in tolerating such actions and loyalties??? Remains to be seen! Take care Alex and hope you listen to your elders (smile) we all been there one way or the other lol.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »

Interesting that you asked that as before reading this I has created a thread asking this over at Maritime.

Sooooo, is GC...anybody going to put out a statement that 3ABN is and "independent ministry"?  Because this could become a hot mess for GC real quick.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up