Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tithe: A Biblical Perspective  (Read 8445 times)

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Tithe: A Biblical Perspective
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »

Deuteronomy 14

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.
23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.
24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away),
25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose.
26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.
27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns,
29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Would anyone like to explain this?

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Tithe: A Biblical Perspective
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »

It appears that we are being commanded to use our tithe to throw a huge party once a year, and then give it to the poor on every third year. I certainly was not taught this in church!

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

My understanding is that this was a second tithe for benevolent purposes.

Quote from: Ed 44
The consecration to God of a tithe of all increase, whether of the orchard and harvest field, the flocks and herds, or the labor of brain or hand, the devotion of a second tithe for the relief of the poor and other benevolent uses, tended to keep fresh before the people the truth of God's ownership of all, and of their opportunity to be channels of His blessings. (Ed 44)

Quote from: PP 530
To promote the assembling of the people for religious service, as well as to provide for the poor, a second tithe of all the increase was required. Concerning the first tithe, the Lord had declared, "I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel." Numbers 18:21. But in regard to the second He commanded, "Thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always." Deuteronomy 14:23, 29; 16:11-14. This tithe, or its equivalent in money, they were for two years to bring to the place where the sanctuary was established. After presenting a thank offering to God, and a specified portion to the priest, the offerers were to use the remainder for a religious feast, in which the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow should participate. Thus provision was made for the thank offerings and feasts at the yearly festivals, and the people were drawn to the society of the priests and Levites, that they might receive instruction and encouragement in the service of God.

Every third year, however, this second tithe was to be used at home, in entertaining the Levite and the poor, as Moses said, "That they may eat within thy gates, and be filled." Deuteronomy 26:12. This tithe would provide a fund for the uses of charity and hospitality. (PP 530)

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »

Why doesn't Deuteronomy refer to it as a "Second Tithe"?

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »

Good question.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »

To which there is yet to be a good answer.  I think I am in that third year - the one that calls for a party!!

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:42:27 AM »

I've wondered that.

Could it be because "tithe" simply means "tenth"? Or is the correct answer that in Deut. the word "tithe" in the Hebrew never has the direct article, so that it maybe should be translated "a tithe" in contrast to other passages where in the Hebrew it says "the tithe"?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

There may be other answers. For example, if the tithe was commanded to be given to the Levites, and then the Israelites are told to do something else with a tithe, then the two tithes cannot possibly be the same.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

So the Deuteronomy tithe came first.  Why isn't it the "first tithe"?  And how many more "tithes" are there?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »

So the Deuteronomy tithe came first.  Why isn't it the "first tithe"?  And how many more "tithes" are there?

Oops, I missed the question.

Why do you think the Deut. tithe was first?

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »

What do you feel is an appropriate use of tithe?

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:47:16 AM »

Hmm,
This has been a big challenge for me also since I know full well what SP says and then see the reality of facts. What wrong about this is me worrying about it.

I know it is God's plan and when it leaves our hands no longer our responsibility....but is it??? this is my confusing thoughts when I know there are truly people that sacrifice doing God's work and some how a thought about what I read in SP keeps coming up to mind  "to pull on rope where more strength is needed".  3 abn is also a shocker but much is going over the world from it. So I don't think anybody likes the taste of waste in their mouth.  Do they??
Pages: [1]   Go Up