Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Gospel  (Read 8029 times)

Battle Creek

The Gospel
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »

What picture evolves in our minds when we hear the word "gospel"?

Are we still aware of the fact that we do have four books in Scripture which are termed "gospel"?

We have the Gospel of Matthew, the Gospel of Mark, the Gospel of Luke, and the Gospel of John, and these all contains stories of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. The Gospel of Luke is written by a physician who also wrote the Acts of the Apostles, partly as an eye witness. His gospel is more compact and not written in a chronological order. Some of the stories are placed together to make a greater impact on our thinking, seeing Jesus Christ as a true Savior of man.

Just look at chapter 7 to get this true picture of Jesus:

Luke 7

New King James Version (NKJV)
Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

7 Now when He concluded all His sayings in the hearing of the people, He entered Capernaum. 2 And a certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and ready to die. 3 So when he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to Him, pleading with Him to come and heal his servant. 4 And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, 5 “for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue.”

6 Then Jesus went with them. And when He was already not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to Him, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof. 7 Therefore I did not even think myself worthy to come to You. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

9 When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned around and said to the crowd that followed Him, “I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” 10 And those who were sent, returning to the house, found the servant well who had been sick.[a]

Jesus marvels at the faith of a Roman officer who was not a Jew. Does Jesus marvel at our faith who are posting on Advent Talk?
It is not always men who are best adapted to the successful management of a church. —Manuscript Releases 19:56.{PaM 36.2}

Battle Creek

Re: The Gospel
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »

John the Baptist Sends Messengers to Jesus

18 Then the disciples of John reported to him concerning all these things. 19 And John, calling two of his disciples to him, sent them to Jesus, saying, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”

20 When the men had come to Him, they said, “John the Baptist has sent us to You, saying, ‘Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?’” 21 And that very hour He cured many of infirmities, afflictions, and evil spirits; and to many blind He gave sight.

22 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things you have seen and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 23 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”

24 When the messengers of John had departed, He began to speak to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 25 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed those who are gorgeously appareled and live in luxury are in kings’ courts. 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. 27 This is he of whom it is written:

‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face,
Who will prepare Your way before You.’[c]

28 For I say to you, among those born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist;[d] but he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

29 And when all the people heard Him, even the tax collectors justified God, having been baptized with the baptism of John. 30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him.

31 And the Lord said,[e] “To what then shall I liken the men of this generation, and what are they like? 32 They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another, saying:

‘We played the flute for you,
    And you did not dance;
We mourned to you,
    And you did not weep.’

33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ 35 But wisdom is justified by all her children.”

A lesson of faith is given us in the experience of Christ with the disciples of John the Baptist. Imprisoned in the lonely dungeon, John had fallen into discouragement, and he sent his disciples to Jesus, asking, “Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?” Christ knew on what errand these messengers had come, and by a mighty demonstration of His power He gave them unmistakable evidence of His divinity. Turning to the multitude, He spoke, and the deaf heard His voice. He spoke again, and the eyes of the blind were opened to behold the beauties of nature.... He put forth His hand, and at His touch the fever left the afflicted ones. At His command demoniacs were healed, and falling at His feet, worshipped Him. Then turning to the disciples of John, He said, “Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see.” {RC 352.5}
That same Jesus who wrought those mighty works, is our Saviour today, and is as willing to manifest His power on our behalf as He was in the behalf of John the Baptist. When we are hedged about by adverse circumstances, surrounded by difficulties which it seems impossible for us to surmount, we are not to murmur, but to remember the past loving kindnesses of the Lord. Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, we may endure as seeing Him who is invisible, and this will keep our minds from being clouded by the shadow of unbelief.—The Signs of the Times, September 17, 1896. {RC 352.6}
It is not always men who are best adapted to the successful management of a church. —Manuscript Releases 19:56.{PaM 36.2}

Battle Creek

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »

How important is this story to us?

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”

40 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.”

So he said, “Teacher, say it.”

41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”

And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”

48 Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

Battle Creek

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:04 AM »

Do we agree with Ellen White that this Mary was Mary Magdalena? That her sister Martha was the hostess at this gathering? That this too place the last time Jesus came to Bethany?

Battle Creek

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »

How important is this story to us?

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”

40 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.”

So he said, “Teacher, say it.”

41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”

And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”

48 Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

The Desire of Ages account places this event about a week before the Crucifixion, or just before the Triumphant entry. Why does Luke take it out of the chronology and places it in this context? It is worth noticing that there were no chapter divisions in the original manuscript. Chapter 8 comes as a direct continuation of this account, and notice what a role this same Mary is playing as the story continues.

Battle Creek

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »

We have so many wonderful comments in this area, like this:

If those who claim to be Christians will heed the words of Christ, all who come in contact with them will acknowledge that they have been with Jesus and have learned of Him.... {TMK 336.3}
Simple faith in the atoning blood can save my soul; and with John, I must call the attention of all to the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world. Jesus has saved me, though I had nothing to present to Him, and could only say, “In my hand no price I bring, Simply to thy cross I cling.” Never did a sinner seek the Saviour with the whole heart but that the Saviour was found of him.... {TMK 336.4}
We may claim the blessed assurance, “I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions” (Isaiah 44:22). Thy “sins, which are many, are forgiven” (Luke 7:47). O how precious, how refreshing, is the sunlight of God’s love! The sinner may look upon his sin-stained life, and say, “Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died” (Romans 8:34). “Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound” (Romans 5:20). Christ the Restorer plants a new principle of life in the soul, and that plant grows and produces fruit. The grace of Christ purifies while it pardons, and fits men for a holy heaven. We are to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ until we reach the full stature of men and women in Christ. O that we might all reach the high standard which God has set before us, and no longer remain dwarfs in the religious life! What beams of light would be reflected to the world in good works if we should become light bearers such as God would have us!32 {TMK 336.5}

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Does Jesus marvel at our faith who are posting on Advent Talk?

I think that Jesus marvels more at the faith of those who are not deceitful, Battle Creek.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Battle Creek

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »

Does Jesus marvel at our faith who are posting on Advent Talk?

I think that Jesus marvels more at the faith of those who are not deceitful, Battle Creek.

Who is to judge?

Battle Creek

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

The Gospel Story continues:

Luke 8

New King James Version (NKJV)
Many Women Minister to Jesus

8 Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him, 2 and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities—Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons, 3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others who provided for Him[a] from their substance.

Those mentioned by name were some of those who had experienced forgiveness in a large measure.

Battle Creek

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »

How  many sermons have you heard based on this text, on the many women who followed Jesus when He visited the towns and villages? Three of them are mentioned by name, and the first one is Mary Magdalene, the same woman mentioned just before as she anointed the feet of Jesus.

As did Nathan with David, Christ concealed His home thrust under the veil of a parable. He threw upon His host the burden of pronouncing sentence upon himself. Simon had led into sin the woman he now despised. She had been deeply wronged by him. By the two debtors of the parable, Simon and the woman were represented. Jesus did not design to teach that different degrees of obligation should be felt by the two persons, for each owed a debt of gratitude that never could be repaid. But Simon felt himself more righteous than Mary, and Jesus desired him to see how great his guilt really was. He would show him that his sin was greater than hers, as much greater as a debt of five hundred pence exceeds a debt of fifty pence. {DA 566.5}
Simon now began to see himself in a new light. He saw how Mary was regarded by One who was more than a prophet. He saw that with keen prophetic eye Christ read her heart of love and devotion. Shame seized upon him, and he realized that he was in the presence of One superior to himself. {DA 567.1}

Does this story make us see ourselves in a new light?
Pages: [1]   Go Up