Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Victory Over Evil Sources (Nov 3-9, 2012)  (Read 6684 times)

Dedication

Victory Over Evil Sources (Nov 3-9, 2012)
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »

Memory Text: “Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us” (Romans 8:37, NKJV).

Conquerors?
What can we conquer through Christ Who loved us?

James 4:7 "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

1 John 5:4   For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, [even] our faith. 
 5:5   Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 

Christianity sees another dimension of reality beyond the material world.
There are two host forces that are at cross purposes with each other.
One seeks to entrap us in sin and destroy us.
The other has poured out the matchless gifts of heaven to redeem us and free us from sin and it's mastery.

The guarentee is there --
Draw near to God, submit to Him, reach out in faith,  and He will make us more than conquerors through Jesus Christ.

There is no such thing as "going it on our own".
Without reaching up and taking hold of Christ's out stretched hand, we are by default in satan's camp.
Take Christ's  hand, cling to Him, and he will pull you out of satan's trap.

Battle Creek

Re: Victory Over Evil Sources (Nov 3-9, 2012)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »

I'd love to stay in Romans for this lesson study. Go back to get the background from last week in chapter 6 to see that we are dead in sin. When we realize this we need a proper burial, and this is where we have baptism. When you are dead there are no connections with the living, and this is where the death of Jesus Christ becomes a reality. He died as a human, but his divinity could not die, therefore this is what I need. The Spirit helps me in my weakness, as my old man gets buried. Since I am dead I do not know what to pray for, but since in my death I have given Him the charge of my life, His Spirit connects me with divinity.

This is the fight and process described in chapters 6, 7, and 8.

My connection with the source of divinity brings me life, and life everlasting. Now I travel on to the Kingdom. As the reference to the marvelous painting of Albrecht Dürer in the lesson last week, death and the devil are still trying to distract me as the travel on each side of me, and this is what it in reality. The following verses tell us how to proceed in the knowledge that God is still with us, going through the steps of justification and glorification.

Jesus is our assurance, and nothing can change that - unless we start playing games with those evil forces that are trying to keep up with us for the rest of our travail here on earth.

Jesus is always stronger. His Spirit is the line we need and which brings us the current, the power needed to get going.

Why make it difficult by cutting off that current?
It is not always men who are best adapted to the successful management of a church. —Manuscript Releases 19:56.{PaM 36.2}

Battle Creek

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »

The Wednesday section refers to Luke 10:1-20. People may wonder why some versions of the Bible state that Jesus sent out 70, when others say 72.

The wonder is that there are not a lot of more serious discrepancies in our Bibles, and we can thank our Lord for that. This one does not change anything in our doctrines, if there were 70 or 72.

Unfortunately there is no original copy available today of any portion of the Bible. They have all been copied by hand until printing became universal, and even there you might find minor mistakes.

In my Greek Bible the number [two] is listed within brackets and then a footnote tells you which of the ancient manuscripts include this number. Then it is up to the translator to evaluate which manuscripts they think are closest to the original. It is not always the oldest manuscripts which are regarded as the most authentic, but that decision is left with the translator - and with the reader, if you have more than one edition of the Bible.
It is not always men who are best adapted to the successful management of a church. —Manuscript Releases 19:56.{PaM 36.2}

Dedication

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »

A Biblical event --

Jesus, Peter, James and John had spent the night on the mountain.
While the other nine disciples "were waiting at the foot of the mountain, a father had brought to them his son, to be delivered from a dumb spirit that tormented him. Authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, had been conferred on the disciples when Jesus sent out the twelve to preach through Galilee. As they went forth strong in faith, the evil spirits had obeyed their word. Now in the name of Christ they commanded the torturing spirit to leave his victim; but the demon only mocked them by a fresh display of his power.

Jesus and the three disciples were seen approaching..A hush had fallen upon the entire company. Now the afflicted father made his way through the crowd, and falling at the feet of Jesus, poured out the story of his trouble and disappointment. 

"Master," he said, "I have brought unto Thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; and wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: . . . and I spake to Thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not."

The boy was brought, and as the Saviour's eyes fell upon him, the evil spirit cast him to the ground in convulsions of agony. He lay wallowing and foaming, rending the air with unearthly shrieks. 

Again the Prince of life and the prince of the powers of darkness had met on the field of battle,--Christ in fulfillment of His mission to "preach deliverance to the captives, . . . to set at liberty them that are bruised" (Luke 4:18), Satan seeking to hold his victim under his control.

The father told the story of long years of suffering, and then, as if he could endure no more, exclaimed, "If Thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." "If Thou canst!" Even now the father questioned the power of Christ. 

Jesus answers, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." There is no lack of power on the part of Christ; the healing of the son depends upon the father's faith. With a burst of tears, realizing his own weakness, the father casts himself upon Christ's mercy, with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." 

Jesus turns to the suffering one, and says, "Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him." There is a cry, an agonized struggle. The demon, in passing, seems about to rend the life from his victim. Then the boy lies motionless, and apparently lifeless. The multitude whisper, "He is dead." But Jesus takes him by the hand, and lifting him up, presents him, in perfect soundness of mind and body, to his father. Father and son praise the name of their Deliverer. The multitude are "amazed at the mighty power of God," while the scribes, defeated and crestfallen, turn sullenly away. 

"If Thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." How many a sin-burdened soul has echoed that prayer. And to all, the pitying Saviour's answer is, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

It is faith that connects us with heaven, and brings us strength for coping with the powers of darkness. In Christ, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong. But many feel that they lack faith, and therefore they remain away from Christ. Let these souls, in their helpless unworthiness, cast themselves upon the mercy of their compassionate Saviour. Look not to self, but to Christ. He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never.  {DA 428-429}

Pages: [1]   Go Up