Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3ABN or the Hollywood Adventist Church...Which is better (or worse)?  (Read 7393 times)

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

The Adventist blogosphere is buzzing about the apparent sacking of Ryan Bell, soon to be former pastor of the Hollywood Adventist Church.

Although the church has been known for some time to be "progressive" and Ryan Bell hailed as a rising young star of progressive Adventism, the last straw seems to have been the message of one Trisha Famisaran, assistant professor of philosophy and theological studies at the HMS Richards Divinity School and director of the Honors Program at La Sierra University, titled “Repenting of Patriarchy and Heterosexism” on February 22, 2013.

Although I didn't watch the presentation where it is available on YouTube, the content was said to be pretty much as suggested by the title: white heterosexual males in patriarchial roles--bad, homosexuality--good, and God referred to as "she".

I've been by the Hollywood Church enough in the past to be on a superficially friendly basis with Ryan Bell and some of the others there.  Being familiar with progressive Adventist services, I didn't pay too much attention to the torn jeans type of rock band that provides music for the service, very well done by the way, or the adoption and observance of the Catholic liturgical year, but the obvious happy acceptance of gay couples made me uncomfortable enough that I quit visiting there.

The reason I am bringing this up is a comment following an article on the situation by David Read at ADvindicate.  3ABN is mentioned as an aside along with some other independent ministries along more conservative lines.

So which is better (or worse)? 

The church who openly advertises its acceptance of Catholic liturgy, rock music for Sabbath services, and homosexuality, or the TV media entity who proclaims religious conservatism but covers up homosexual pedophilia and likely also heterosexual pedophilia?     

"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Battle Creek

Re: 3ABN or the Hollywood Adventist Church...Which is better (or worse)?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

Would you say this is a case where extreme liberalism clashes with . . . .  conservative ideologies gone astray?
It is not always men who are best adapted to the successful management of a church. —Manuscript Releases 19:56.{PaM 36.2}

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »

Did you read the open letter from him?

In case you didn't, here it is with the link where you can find it:

http://www.ryanjbell.net/intersections/2013/03/an-open-letter-to-friends-and-church-family.html

An open letter to friends and church family

Eight years ago my family and I moved to Hollywood to begin what has become the most rewarding and inspiring chapter of our lives. Our family has thrived in this urban, spiritual community commited to peace, love and justice.

Sadly, this phase of this experiment is coming to an end. This Sabbath will be my last Sabbath as the Pastor of the Hollywood Adventist Church. Hours and hours of conversations have led to this point but here is the short version.

Some of the leadership decisions I have made have led the Southern California Conference administration to the conclusion that they cannot trust me to lead this church as a Seventh-day Adventist Church. They have graciously acknowledged my creativity and passion for the community we serve. They have acknowledged that the church is known in the community for its good work whereas before it was less known. But they feel that my leadership has led our church outside the accepted framework of Seventh-day Adventism. We have not been able come to an understanding about these things and so my denominational employment will end on or about April 1, 2013.

This turn of events breaks my heart. I have served the Seventh-day Adventist Church imperfectly for 19 years. It is the only thing I have done since graduating with my Bachelors Degree from Weimar College when I was 22 years old. But sometimes people grow in ways that are incompatible with the institutions they have been a part of.

I am beyond grateful to have served the Hollywood Adventist Church for the past 8 years. We have built an authentic community which is diverse in every way: young and older...and now children!, multi-ethnic, poor and middle-class, gay and straight, artists, business people, teachers and civic servants.

While I will be leaving paid pastoral ministry, I am not angry with the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This denomination has given me my whole career and most of my education. I have been able to do the things I have done because the church has supported me. For that I remain grateful. I wish her only the best and I believe that there are many signs of hope within the denomination including the advances in Women's Ordination. At the same time there are signs of calcification and retrenching that cause me deep concern.

My future is not yet clear, but I am hopeful and confident in God's leadership. Please keep my family and me in your prayers as we make this difficult transition. We have no plans to move at this point, so we will be in Los Angeles for the foreseeable future.

Do not lose faith. And when you do, cling to hope. And when hope fades, resort to love.

Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. —1 Cor 13:13

Murcielago

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »

Employees are hired for the purpose of doing the will of their employer, and failure to comply is generally accompanied by the expectation of termination.

That aside, it does seem to be two examples of extremes. However, in the case of the Hollywood SDA Church it would appear that they simply practice what they preach, and are up front about it.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »

Perhaps the church itself needs to be disciplined by the Conference?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

Perhaps the church itself needs to be disciplined by the Conference?

The Southern California Conference doesn't do much of that type of thing...I'm pretty sure that Larry Caviness didn't really want to let Ryan Bell go...but he had to.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:40 AM »

There is a most simple response...when is open sin A any more acceptable to the God of Creation than Sin B????

Open sin must be met and dealt with in a spirit of reconciliation...when reconciliation is not feasible then the open sinner must be allowed to walk in his own way but separate and apart from the body of even the Laodicean Church.

When I was first told that an SDA pastor was not simply allowing attendance by Homosexuals but actually was giving Marriage Vows to them, in some cases openly, it was clear this Pastor required reconciliation. He repeatedly rejected any such option and the issue was taken to the Conference Executive Committee with evidence and they had no option but to take action. Ironically it is now an open and
public matter and in California, which anxiously awaits a decision from the US Supreme Court to determine if Christian Values, espoused by the majority of the electorate (surprisingly) bu open plebiscite, will be cast aside in favor of hedonistic "liberty"!!!

In the interim, the Southern California Conference has spared itself from becoming a direct target of .

Frankly, I doubt the sincerity of the Conference Leadership as they have tolerated this abberation way too long to show open disapproval, but other issues seem to have been a priority and they would prefer to adhere to women's ordination.

Gailon Arthur Joy
AUReporter

...The reason I am bringing this up is a comment following an article on the situation by David Read at ADvindicate.  3ABN is mentioned as an aside along with some other independent ministries along more conservative lines.

So which is better (or worse)? 

The church who openly advertises its acceptance of Catholic liturgy, rock music for Sabbath services, and homosexuality, or the TV media entity who proclaims religious conservatism but covers up homosexual pedophilia and likely also heterosexual pedophilia?   
Pages: [1]   Go Up