Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Celebration  (Read 10449 times)

Johann

Christmas Celebration
« on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »

Many in Scandinavia already start an unofficial celebration of Christmas today, but officially the great celebration with most people start tomorrow evening - on Christmas Eve - by attending church. Most Seventh-day Adventist Churches have a service on Christmas eve. Many people stop by the graveside of their loved ones either before or after the church service, often offering a prayer of thanksgiving for the blessed hope of the resurrection at the second coming of Christ. Most graves are specially decorated with flowers - many use artificial for this time of year - and lights.

Back home from church on Christmas eve many have their dinner with a rice desert where an almond is hidden in the large bowl and the one who gets the almond will receive a gift.

In some places either a family member - or a visiting friend - will hide and enter the room in a Santa Costume. Santa delivers all the gifts that have been under the tree. They are opened and enjoyed and kisses and hugs of gratitude and surprise makes the evening especially among the younger ones.

In some families one of the children will hand out the gifts. Later in the evening one or more santas will come in  from the snow, make some fun with the children, borrow a guitar or use another instrument and lead out singing Christmas hymns and songs.

Finally today the snow is coming our way, so it looks like a White Christmas.

So may you all have a  Blessed Christmas and remember this same Jesus we celebrate will be coming back soon . This is what is called Advent!

:amen:

princessdi

• Veteran Member
Re: Christmas Celebration
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

Amen!  A blessed and merry Christmas to you and yours also, Johann!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »

What a neat way to celebrate Christmas. Guess my Mom and my husband will have a quiet dinner at home and open presents.Then if the weather co-operates we will go to my sons for breakfast, since the ex has the kids this year.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

Many in Scandinavia already start an unofficial celebration of Christmas today, but officially the great celebration with most people start tomorrow evening - on Christmas Eve - by attending church. Most Seventh-day Adventist Churches have a service on Christmas eve. Many people stop by the graveside of their loved ones either before or after the church service, often offering a prayer of thanksgiving for the blessed hope of the resurrection at the second coming of Christ. Most graves are specially decorated with flowers - many use artificial for this time of year - and lights.

Back home from church on Christmas eve many have their dinner with a rice desert where an almond is hidden in the large bowl and the one who gets the almond will receive a gift.

In some places either a family member - or a visiting friend - will hide and enter the room in a Santa Costume. Santa delivers all the gifts that have been under the tree. They are opened and enjoyed and kisses and hugs of gratitude and surprise makes the evening especially among the younger ones.

In some families one of the children will hand out the gifts. Later in the evening one or more santas will come in  from the snow, make some fun with the children, borrow a guitar or use another instrument and lead out singing Christmas hymns and songs.

Finally today the snow is coming our way, so it looks like a White Christmas.

So may you all have a  Blessed Christmas and remember this same Jesus we celebrate will be coming back soon . This is what is called Advent!

:amen:

What terrific traditions...

Amen and lo, Lord Jesus, may you cut short this world's aweful history and make the second advent come soon!!!

Gailon Arthur Joy

princessdi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »

Well, in our family we spend [usually Christmas Eve] with family on my Mom's side of the family, this time on Christmas Day.  The tradition in generations old.  We have dinner and open presents.  A fun time for all, even the little ones look forward to it,  I did also when I was young.
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »

It may seem early but we have already been to a couple of Christmas concerts. This evening it was at our local high school, and before the end my eyes were wet with tears. Here we were at a concert in a public school, and I said to my wife, This is almost like attending a church prayer meeting. The high school choir did sing quite a few of the traditional Christmas songs, both American and Icelandic, but through the evening we heard appeals both in songs and the words of the announcer, not to forget the Christ and the Peace He brings to man. A retired high school teacher I talked to afterwards agreed it was like a devotional, a sacred hour, and the place was  a public school where there is not supposed to be any preaching. And yet there was a great sermon in the singing. A public school blessed with a chairman of the music department who is not only a master musician but also beams with  enthusiasm easily caught by his students.

Johann

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »

Does it seem like Christmas has already arrived? So have a nice time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:11:17 AM by Johann »

Johann

Pages: [1]   Go Up