Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You can find an active Save 3ABN website at http://www.Save-3ABN.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is it required?  (Read 7157 times)

childoftheking

Why is it required?
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »

I have often pondered the fact that the government (wisely) requires those charitable organizations that handle other people's money to get audited and to make their financial statements available. According to the government it is to protect the consumer from misrepresentation. I really have questioned the motives of some who are more concerned for the reputaition of an organization and for the reputations of public figures than for honesty and openness. Being concerned that new converts may be disillusioned is no reason to aid in avoiding disclosure.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Re: Why is it required?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:02:29 AM »

We just had a hard luck story, someone who lost his wallet while hiking up here and needed to get back to his home at a distance. He was looking for us to pay for his bus ticket. Why he ended up west by 200+ miles instead of going south a much shorter distance seemed puzzling.

In answer to my questions I learned that there were four Adventist churches in his city, and what the name of his pastor is.

The next morning I called the pastor of a church in that city that I could identify, and he told me he'd never heard of a pastor by the name I was given, and that there weren't four churches in that city after all.

In my original conversation with the guy asking for help, I asked him if I could call his pastor for a reference, and he asked me if I could call his wife instead.

It's a story about a somewhat different subject, but it still comes down to someone wanting a handout and trying to avoid full disclosure. If we're legitimate, we should have nothing to hide.

childoftheking

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »

Bob, a con man always has a good old story to tell and always another lie to explain away (cover up) a lie - ad infinitum.....

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »

An audit is only as good as the auditor performing the work.  What the auditor chooses to turn a blind eye to will get swept under the carpet unless someone like Bob and Gailon come along with a challenge.  It was no accident that 3ABN dropped its lawsuit within days of the court deciding to allow the audit workpapers into evidence.

What is really troubling to me is the government's lack of zeal when it comes to investigating complaints filed against an organization like 3ABN where there are obvious financial integrity issues and glaring attempts to intimidate and silence critics.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:43 AM »

What is really troubling to me is the government's lack of zeal when it comes to investigating complaints filed against an organization like 3ABN where there are obvious financial integrity issues and glaring attempts to intimidate and silence critics.

Our sources indicated that a large sum exchanged hands with the IRS, I think toward the end of 2007. If the IRS is out to find money, and they get money without having to prosecute, then they may view it as a win, similar to lawyers who settle without going to trial.

But now we've got 3ABN buying $250,000 worth of CDs and/or DVDs from DLS Publishing over three years. So maybe there's something to investigate again.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »

And paying for repairs to Ronnie Shelton's vehicle!! 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »

Repairing Ronnie's vehicle, is that something current?

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »

Repairing Ronnie's vehicle, is that something current?

Per page 2 of Schedule L of the 2013 Form 990.  I tried to attach the entire form here, but the software will not let me.  Maybe I am not interpreting it correctly, but that is what it looks like to me.  Could it be that Ronnie Shelton repaired a 3ABN vehicle??  The entry simply says "Auto Repairs" and lists Ronnie Shelton as the interested party.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »

Our sources indicated that a large sum exchanged hands with the IRS, I think toward the end of 2007. If the IRS is out to find money, and they get money without having to prosecute, then they may view it as a win, similar to lawyers who settle without going to trial.

But now we've got 3ABN buying $250,000 worth of CDs and/or DVDs from DLS Publishing over three years. So maybe there's something to investigate again.

But what about the State of Illinois?  I found them to be fairly useless with regard to the allegations of impropriety related to 3ABN.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 05:43:29 AM »

Yeah. Has the state of Illinois ever tried to get 3ABN to remit sales tax on their in-state sales?
Pages: [1]   Go Up