Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Linda Shelton's Book  (Read 27354 times)

Sister

• Veteran Member
Linda Shelton's Book
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »

I was not at the GC, but I heard that thousands of flyers for Linda Shelton's book were distributed. Was anyone there and received one?

Sister

• Veteran Member
Re: Linda Shelton's Book
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »

Another interesting fact. Mabel Dunbar, who had a booth at the GC and was invited there to speak at a gathering for the Pastor's wives, also handed out flyers at her booth for Linda's forthcoming book. Mabel's husband personally delivered a flyer to the 3ABN booth. I don't know who received it. But I doubt that Linda will be invited to 3ABN to promote her book.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

Oops. I have never met Mabel, but I think I saw which booth must have been hers, but the connection didn't click. Ugh! Wish I had gone up to that one and asked some questions.

I got there on Tuesday evening and stayed through to the end, so I was there for about half of it.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »

I have never met Mabel in person, either. But I have talked with her on the phone, quite a few years ago. I really appreciate the ministry she has for women. Did you know that Mabel has written the forword for Linda's book?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »

Yes, I knew that. I really wish I had remembered that she was going to be there. I'm pretty sure I saw her husband since I did see a booth about abuse issues that had an African-American at it.

Another booth I wanted to stop and see was the ADvindicate booth, and it didn't click that I hadn't seen it. I did see someone who looked like Shane Hilde, but it seemed like that fellow was at some other booth.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »

This from Linda Shelton on Facebook:

Hi Facebook Friends! I hope life is treating you well and that you are enjoying the beautiful Fall weather. Fall has always been an extra special season for me...I love the pumpkins, the burlap decorations and the apples, apples and more apples. A pumpkin pie certainly adds some spice to the season too.

I would like to send a very special THANK YOU to each of you who pre-ordered my book. Your patience has been so appreciated! Many of you know that I have experienced something the internet refers to as Gang stalking. In my opinion this major thorn in the flesh crossed over into the production of my book. "Coincidentally" key sections of the book disappeared from the manuscript, not large sections, just key paragraphs. There was evidence of hacking, not only in my computer, but in the computer of a lady helping me. Why? Perhaps an autobiography makes some uncomfortable. The gift we have in America called "freedom of speech" makes it possible to be transparent about many issues. But ultimately, it is my sole desire that important lessons and golden nuggets are gleaned from my story. Every story has nuggets no other contains.

I hesitate to post exact dates that these books will be on their way to your mailbox. In my situation this invites sabotage. But please know the book is a whopping 538 pages, almost like two books in one...and it will be airborne soon!

Happy Fall!! Blessings to you, Linda Shelton

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208197482441564&set=a.10208197483961602.1073741827.1437027112&type=3

daylily

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

How does one order Linda's book? I'm not on FaceBook.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »

Hi daylily,

Here is the ordering information for Linda's book......

Send $18.00 plus $4.95 shipping and handling (check or money order) to:

Linda Shelton Ministries
P.O. Box 2090
Homosassa Springs, FL 34447

childoftheking

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »

A chapter of her book is now posted on Facebook. If the rest is like this chaper, it wil be very intersting and enjoyable to read. I think you might have to friend her to have access to it though maybe not.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

Like many others, I do not have facebook. Could you copy over that chapter for those who can not read it there? Thanks!

Sister

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »

Here is a chapter from my upcoming book, "Adventures In Forgiveness." This particular chapter is about how I got started in music. I pray it will be a blessing to you! Please feel free to share.

“Don’t Ever Give Up Your Music”
“Music is the prayer the heart sings.”
(Unknown)

My grandmother always said to me, “Linda, don’t ever give up on your music.” I have discovered that this was a piece of advice filled with wisdom. Music has been the vehicle that has led me into very intimate encounters with God, which have been some of my most joyous moments. Music has also led me to people, places and situations which have been fulfilling, educational and just plain old FUN! Music teaches me, touches me, refreshes me and inspires me. Playing a song on the piano can take me to such places which would be impossible with the biggest and best jetliner. Someone once said, “Music has been well said to be the language of angels.” I believe this wholeheartedly.

My earliest recollections involving music include me sitting as close to the Hi-fi as possible soaking in the Christmas songs of Barbara Streisand, Perry Como and Andy Williams. I remember trying to hear every instrument, every tone and feel every place the music would take me. It was heavenly! I also remember receiving a small Disney record player for Christmas one year. I often had the yellow, plastic records spinning and I learned to sing the songs from memory.

I was still a young girl when famous musicals like “The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins” and “Oklahoma” became popular. I was captivated. It was during this period of my life I started asking for a piano and piano lessons. My parents waited a very long time before they made a move in this direction. They thought it might be just a passing phase in my life, and a piano was an expensive investment for their middle class budget.

I was ten years old. I had spent the night at the house of a friend who lived in the same neighborhood. Then Kris’s father took us to his place of work, a bank. He wanted to show us some of the latest technology called a “computer.” I can remember that this computer filled an entire room. Kris’s father typed a few letters into the keyboard which soon activated a large printer. Kris and I were in awe as this machine printed out life size pictures which he allowed us to keep. We felt this was better than Grandma’s apple pie! When we finally went home I ran into the house to do a “show and tell” for my family. I was simply bubbling over with the experiences of the morning. I excitedly chattered on while displaying the print-outs, which were taller than I was at the time.

In the midst of relating my exciting adventures, a thought struck me, “Why are Mom, Dad, Cher and Dave all sitting in the living room watching me with such big smiles on their faces?” Had they already seen this fascinating machine which filled an entire room? They kept looking at me and then looking in another direction. Puzzled, I followed their eyes to a corner of the room where there was a small music synthesizer. My mouth dropped open and tears of joy flowed like rain. It was a realization of a dream for me, as well as love at first sight! This small synthesizer became my best friend. I picked out several songs on it before I even began taking lessons. My fingers lovingly stroked the keys and music emerged. It was glorious!

Finally the day I longed for had arrived. It was time to begin my piano lessons. At my first lesson I learned that rule number one was that piano students must NEVER pick out songs by ear on the piano. Later in life I discovered this was a philosophy which I could not embrace. I believe playing by ear should be encouraged along with learning to read music. My teacher explained that there was a big risk that I would never learn to play reading the notes on a page if I learned to play by ear. This did let some air out of my balloon, but I pushed forward and began learning the basics of reading music.

The next rung on my musical ladder was when I began to sing in the children’s choir at my church. This was my first introduction to singing harmony. I loved it! It was such a fulfilling experience to sing for the Lord in an organized group. Hearing the young voices echo throughout the high ceilings of our church almost seemed to lift me to the throne room of Heaven. Singing really enhanced my longing for God and spiritual things. Transformed by the experience, I wanted more.

Later the children’s choir director became my piano teacher. Mr. Pruess placed an emphasis on timing, rhythm, learning scales in every key, and well, playing LOUD. I think the LOUD part was because our church sanctuary was so huge it needed hymns to be played with gusto. After learning the basics, I was launched into playing church hymns and the classics — Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. The basics I learned from Mr. Pruess were an important foundation in my musical training. It really helped my song writing later in my life. Thank you, Mr. Pruess!

When I was a teenager I hit a musical plateau. I still loved music very much, but I had grown tired of classical music. I told my mother I wanted to quit piano lessons. But Mom had a better idea. She said, “Linda, I just heard about a new piano teacher that the young people really like. Her name is Betty Hansen. Your Dad and I want you to give her a try before you think about quitting piano lessons.”

I discovered that a good teacher who takes into consideration the musical tastes and creativity of her students can make all the difference in the world. Betty had a large following of piano students who were really happy with her method of training. She would choose songs that were popular on the radio — theme songs from movies, Broadway songs, etc., and arrange them so her piano students could read and play the music. She knew that many of her students had differing tastes in popular music, so she arranged a large selection from which her students could choose what they wanted to play. Her personality was bubbly and exuberant. When I played a piece to her satisfaction, she would always stand and clap, shouting “Hooray!” It was a wonderful experience to continue my piano training with Betty. Working with her I learned to love the rich chords from the Big Band Era, just as she enjoyed them. Her enthusiasm was contagious! She taught me how to really LOVE music. Thank you, Betty Hansen!

I was 16 when a very good friend of mine, Ellen Miller, gave me a copy of a song entitled, “Your Love Broke Thru” by Keith Green.  The Holy Spirit really used this song to make Jesus ever so real to me. I remember listening to it again and again with tears rolling down my face. This experience revealed to me how the Lord can use a song to reveal Himself and completely change the course of a person’s life. The following are some of the lyrics of “Your Love Broke Thru:”
“All my life I’ve been searching for that crazy missing part.
With one touch You just rolled away the stone that held my heart.
And now I see that the answer was as easy as just asking You in.
And I’m so sure I could never doubt Your gentle touch again.
It’s like the power of the wind. Like waking up from the longest dream, how real it seemed, until Your love broke through.
I was lost in a fantasy that blinded me until Your love broke through.”

I was seventeen when I wrote my first song. It was called “You Came As Starlight.” It was a song about really welcoming the Lord into my life. The songs that followed were about young love, relationships and all the things that related to a young teenager. A good friend of mine, Cara Norovich, and I would get together with a couple of other friends and record the songs I had written on a large reel to reel tape recorder. Cara would sing (because I was waaaay too bashful), and I would play the piano. I really thought this was big stuff, well, at least it made me happier than anything else I had experienced in my young life.

Circumstances resulted in me living with my maternal Grandmother for about a year when I was eighteen years old. This was a precious time in my life when I had the privilege of getting to know her personally and deeply. She passed away not long after this experience. Her counsel and encouragement meant a lot to me. Over the years I harvested the fruit of my Grandmother’s advice, for music has led me to some wonderful experiences. Most importantly, it has kept me seeking my Savior. Like prayer, it is one of the most beautiful and perfect avenues for connecting with God.

I began college as a Music major. Yet my tender song writing heart cringed against what I felt was a scientific approach to music. At the age of 18 music theory and my ideas about creativity did not mix well. Looking back it was one of my biggest mistakes in dropping my major in music. Today I realize I would love to know everything those classes taught. I ended up choosing an Inter-Arts major instead. In spite of that decision, music still remained a large part of my life.

In the years that followed, marriage and babies were a diversion from spending a lot of time with my music. I was so busy with my precious little ones that writing music naturally took a back seat. Later when I was baptized as a Seventh day Adventist Christian at age 24, the songs starting flowing once again like a waterfall. My love for Jesus needed expression and I turned once again to my love of music. I dedicated this gift of songwriting to the Lord. From then on I only wrote songs that uplifted my Savior, Jesus Christ. During those times, I shut out the cares of this world and prayerfully communicated with my Lord musically. I felt closest to Him in this setting. Those precious moments communing with my Heavenly Father refreshed and renewed my spirit.

I have experienced some years where the songwriting in my heart was silent, as I have faced these critical issues. Yet this did not stop me from singing other songs. Both then and now, music has been at the core of my worship experience with God. I believe that Gospel music motivated my desire to learn more and more about God. I wanted to know Him, to please Him and to work for Him. I wanted my life to be knit tightly to my Savior. Music had become the spiritual core of worshiping and experiencing the Love of Christ.

In my early years of being a SDA Christian, I was introduced to Southern Gospel Music! WOW! This was a huge turning point for me musically. The words, the chords, the captured emotion, the harmony — I loved everything about it. Lanny Wolfe very quickly emerged as my favorite songwriter. It seemed that his songs just ministered to my spirit and nourished my growing walk with the Lord.

The following are words to a song written by Lanny Wolfe:
I don’t deserve to come to You, Lord, with my troubles and selfish pleas,
I know I have failed You in so many ways, but never have You failed to meet all my needs.
I am the least in Your Kingdom I know, but Lord don’t forsake me now
All of Your mercy I could never afford I’m undeserving of Your love, but love me, Lord.
For nobody else really knows me, and no one else understands my fears
And when I’m in trouble and I’m all alone, Lord, only You can dry my tears.
If You should leave me where would I go, to find rest for my weary soul?
And it’s because I’m so unworthy that I love You even more I’m undeserving of Your love, but love me, Lord.

When I was young I felt confident singing in the midst of our Children’s Choir. It was safety in numbers. But the thought of singing a solo publically or even in a trio was too frightening to even consider.

Fast forwarding to the years just prior to the birth of 3ABN, through my fear of the platform I learned that Dan, (my husband to be), was a man of strategy. Step by step he led me down the garden path until I arrived at his desired destination. To fan the flames of my fears, Dan had previously told me he did not think I had the voice of a soloist. One day he came to me and asked me if I would sing the third part on the songs that he and Melody sang together when they visited other churches. My reply was, “I would if I could. But I was not raised singing on the platform as you both were. I just don’t think I can do it.” I DID NOT wish to be in the spotlight! The “feelings” still were occasionally winning the faith battle.
Later he asked me to sing with them just for Sabbath worship at his home. We were alone so it did not seem incredibly frightening. I ended up learning a few songs with them. The three part harmony reminded me of my choir days, which I had really enjoyed. Dan was pleased with the sound of our harmony.

One weekend we were down in Shreveport, Louisiana. Dan was on the platform sharing a sermon in a crowded church. I was sitting in the back with my two youngsters. Suddenly he said, “Now at the close of this service I would like to ask a friend of mine, Linda, to come up and sing this closing song with me and Melody. She’s the one sitting in the back pew.”
GASP! It seemed that the entire church turned their heads to look at ME! Dan continued, “Ah yes, she’s the one with the face as red as her hair.”

Immediately my mind jerked into the survival mode. Within a split second these thoughts flashed through my mind: “Isn’t there a really good reason why I can’t go up there? Where is the nearest exit? If I run can I escape? No, the kids will slow me down. What can I do?” Realizing I had no avenue of escape, these final thoughts entered my mind as I began to rise to my feet, “I guess I have to go up there… but later I am going to strangle Dan!”

My knees started shaking before I even exited the pew. It seemed that everything became surreal. There was a sea of faces, an aisle that seemed three miles long and steps that required the hugest effort to scale. Mount Everest couldn’t be any harder to climb then the steps leading to that church platform! And there stood Dan with his smiling face turned toward me. All of a sudden I did not feel very spiritual in my thoughts about his strategy to force me onto that platform. The microphone shook in my hand as I finally crashed through the barrier I had made for myself. Once I began singing it became easier and easier. I DID IT! I did something I never dreamed was possible! And thus began my singing career.
After that I started singing with Dan and Melody on a regular basis. But I did notice a difference between our voices. Both of them had a very even and appealing vibrato. I had a straight tone. I tried to make vibrato happen in my voice, but it didn’t happen. So I began to pray, “Lord, You know I want to honor You in every possible way. Right now the Shelton’s need an alto part, and not just any alto part. They need a good one. Would you please give me vibrato? Please Lord, I really need a miracle!”

I had asked Dan how he managed to acquire vibrato. His reply was “It’s just there.” When I pleaded with him for more instruction he finally said, “You become what you behold. Sing along with people that you want to sound like. Sing every day. Pick out the different harmonies and eventually it will happen.” Well folks, I sang and sang. And I prayed and prayed. It was almost two years before I detected vibrato. It was a natural sounding vibrato that blended well with the Shelton’s. My voice had become stronger with purer tones. I say this from hindsight because at that time I was still insecure about my voice. This completely demolished the philosophy I was raised to believe about talent that, “It is something with which you are born.” For me, God supplied the inspiration. Dedication and hard work developed the gift.

I have seen many times that people who strive to develop their voices eventually do just that. One young man in the Shelton family could not sing on pitch. He consistently sang flat. But he wanted nothing more than to sing, and to sing well.
He worked very hard at it. In time he became a very good soloist. He ended up making his career in the Gospel Music Industry. I have learned that vocal training is similar to body building. When you work your vocal muscles regularly they become stronger. No wonder the Bible broadly declares to everyone, “Sing unto the Lord…”

After experiencing the incredible piano playing of Dan’s brother, Tommy Shelton, I really wanted to learn to play by ear. I began taking piano lessons again from a woman who knew how to play Gospel Music. Marlene Hall was very good at communicating just how to learn the patterns and base rhythms which could be applied to all music. Instead of reading music by note, she simplified it by reading music by chord and then she added some improvisation. I was able to really grasp this concept and it helped me when I was needed to play piano for church, and when I was writing a song. Although I had been told I played the piano quite well, I never felt I had enough time to invest in practice to excel at it like some of the very skilled musicians that were featured on 3ABN. I have always enjoyed what time I could devote to music. The continued education I have received helped me to grow as a songwriter — which was my ultimate goal for serving the Lord.

Through the years I have tried various methods in song writing. I tried writing the lyrics first and then adding the music. Then I reversed the process, writing the music first and then adding the lyrics. But neither method worked well for me. I found the most effortless and natural method was when I just threw my head back, looked at the stars and sang to my Lord. Since I had a background in music, rhythmically I could chart the song in my mind. When I was finished I would record the song on a small handheld recorder.

Later I would chart the melody line and I would add some basic chords. Then I turned the song over to an arranger like Tommy Shelton or ET Everett. They would add more chords for a much fuller sound. Later when I recorded the song in Nashville or at the 3ABN recording studio, another arranger might add or delete the chords. But the original melody line I had written never changed. The melody, which includes the timing, lyric and tune is the foundation of a song. The chords are the enhancements. In my opinion, it is a rare occasion when one finds a songwriter and a professional arranger in the same person.

I have had the privilege of watching many great musicians at work. They can take a song and change the texture, mood and feel of the song by changing the chords or altering the base rhythm. Almost any song can be adjusted to sound like a Big Band song, a Gospel song, a Broadway musical tune, Country, Folk and the list goes on. BUT the melody, timing and basic tune must remain the same in order for it to be identified as the same particular song.

During my years at 3ABN I had the privilege of traveling all over the world and participating in SDA Church services in many different cultures and countries. The SDA Church service has a variety of expressions all over the world. In a sweet SDA church in Bangladesh, they even use dance as a part of their worship, for it is a part of their unique culture. So if you are a traveler, you find that choices of worship style are often different, as well as choices of music for worship. Even in the USA the preferences for music changes regionally. It is a natural desire to want to embrace music that conforms to our personal choices. And yes, there definitely is music that I would not choose personally. But I discovered that if I patiently look and listen I see the same desire behind the choices, which is to praise God and enhance the worship experience. It’s a BIG world out there, with a BIG God who created it! Many times tolerance is the best choice when visiting a new community. Blessings can be obtained by those who look for and expect them.

“After this I looked and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes with palm branches in their hands. (Revelation 7:9)

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »

:TY:

daylily

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »

Thank you Sister, for the ordering information and thank you childoftheking, for the first chapter. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the entire book.

childoftheking

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »

And Thanks Snoopy for copying that first chapter here.

Sister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

Thank you Sister, for the ordering information and thank you childoftheking, for the first chapter. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the entire book.

Daylily, I am sure you are welcome, but you need to thank Snoopy who posted the information.

I have had the opportunity to read more of Linda's book, it is a very interesting autobiography. I am sure it took a lot of courage for her to share her story. It would be a blessing to anyone reading it. This is a book that every woman in the SDA Church should read.

Sister
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up