Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danny Shelton's surgery  (Read 7085 times)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
Danny Shelton's surgery
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:47:42 AM »

If you wonder where Danny is these days, and why he isn't talking, he just had surgery this week on his vocal cords, according to someone's post on FaceBook. He's supposed to be able to talk normally again in December.

The surgery was allegedly at Vanderbilt University and was supposed to take 2 to 2.5 hours, but took longer than expected.

daylily

Re: Danny Shelton's surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

Oh my! Hope they heal up well.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:28:01 AM »

A friend told me they didn't believe Danny really had surgery. Anyone know of any solid evidence that he really had surgery?

What the FaceBook posts said was that he couldn't talk for 90 days, and that he wouldn't talk normally until December. I think my friend said that instead of 90 days, it's normally a week or two.

http://uthscsa.edu/oto/Documents/VoiceRest5.13.pdf are guidelines from the University of Texas Voice Center says that you can't talk for 3 to 7 days.

http://voicedoctor.net/surgery/laryngoscopy#instruct has one talking at 25% of normal after one week, and 50% after two weeks, and 75% after three weeks.

http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/slt/recovering-from-your-vocal-cord-surgery.pdf appears to say that someone like Danny shouldn't talk for 5 days.

Another thing I found odd is that the Prayer Warrior emails don't seem to include a prayer request for Danny's surgery. But maybe I didn't get that email.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 04:36:33 AM »

On June 24, this was posted on FaceBook by a church:

Prayers for Danny Shelton of 3ABN -
From Danny: "I would appreciate your prayers this coming week as I am having surgery on my vocal cords from years of abuse I'm sure. I've made my living talking and singing for nearly 32 years. I've done something like 10,000 interviews during that time and traveled around the world speaking and singing in all kinds of weather and situations. For those who know me they know when I'm not speaking publicly I'm talking on the phone sometimes for hours at a time. I appreciate your prayers as I will be on vocal rest for 90 days! I haven't been quiet that long since I've been on earth! It's a fairly complicated surgery as it is a vascular (bleeding) polyp. From start to finish it will take approx. 2-21/2 hours."

10,000 interviews over 32 years would be 333+ per year. That's a lot. Do they include job interviews, or just interviews for TV shows?

Here's what someone posted on June 29:

PRAISE GOD FOR A GOOD REPORT. Danny Shelton came out of vocal surgery a little while ago. The procedure took longer than expected; there was no blood in the polyp, but it was larger than first thought and had a lot of scar tissue to deal with. The Dr. considered the surgery 'perfect.' He is presently in recovery and will stay at Vanderbilt University over night. The healing process will be tedious--complete vocal rest for three months and Danny won't be able to speak in a normal fashion until Dec. That calls for a tremendous amount of patience. So, now that this part of the process is in place, let's pray that the recovery is quicker than the surgeon would anticipate and pray that Danny's family and 3ABN employees can buy a strong enough bridle to keep this stallion 'quiet' for five months or so. Let's all keep Danny and his healing process in our daily prayers. GOD IS GOOD!

Another post from the same day:

PTL! Danny's surgery was a success! Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes! The surgery took almost 3 hours, and his throat is super sore! However, the surgeon assured us that it's pretty much expected when you have instruments down your throat for hours! Danny's on 90 days of vocal rest! This is going to be interesting! Danny's taking it like the champion that he is. He's praising God for His guidance in the operating room, and for FB friends like you, who have stood in the gap with and for him. Thanks to all of you!

So why do these posts authored by three different people, including Danny himself, say that he's going to be on vocal rest for 90 days, when various sites say that after this type of surgery you have to be on complete vocal rest for 7 days, or less?

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 04:39:35 AM »

http://www.speechpathology.com/ask-the-experts/voice-therapy-post-surgical-removal-1006 says that the "majority of sources recommend one week of strict vocal rest, meaning absolutely no talking or whispering." "Typically the SLP will gradually increase the patient's voice use over the next 2-6 weeks."

One thing that 90 days of voice rest after vocal cord surgery does is explain why Danny won't be walking around ASI talking to everyone. Is Danny not allowed to be at ASI?

What is really going on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up