Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Put Faith Into Practise?  (Read 36383 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
How Do You Put Faith Into Practise?
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »

Anyone care to give their thoughts on how true faith is put into practise?
My mother used to have the most irritating habit when my brother's or I would be concerned about what happened to someone, someone was lonely or scared.

SO, what are you going to do about it??
Sometimes you can't fix and maybe shouldn't even try, but that was no excuse to not be there.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
Re: How Do You Put Faith Into Practise?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:51:36 PM »

I believe Christ has the best answer on how true faith is put into practice.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

I believe Christ has the best answer on how true faith is put into practice.

What exactly does that mean for those sitting in the pews? There was a woman that sat in the back pew of a church, holding her young daughter and quietly crying, week after week. Listening to sermons of what would Jesus do, announcements of getting in the community and sharing your faith. She could recite by rout I am sure,the answers of Christ on how true faith is put into practise. As she remained uncounted and not worthy of hands on as to "What Jesus would do" is that answer enough.

Bonnie 

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:36:59 PM »

Matthew 25:31-46 is what I was thinking about when I looked at the question topic title on how do you put faith into practice.

Two groups of people are in those texts that are referenced as the sheep and the goats.

Matthew 25:34-40 is in reference to the sheep.

Matthew 25:41-46 is in reference to the goats.

Both called Jesus Lord (Matthew 25:37 and 44), but only one of the two groups were His true followers. 

One group put faith into practice, whereas the other group didn't.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Matthew 25:31-46 is what I was thinking about when I looked at the question topic title on how do you put faith into practice.

Two groups of people are in those texts that are referenced as the sheep and the goats.

Matthew 25:34-40 is in reference to the sheep.

Matthew 25:41-46 is in reference to the goats.

Both called Jesus Lord (Matthew 25:37 and 44), but only one of the two groups were His true followers. 

One group put faith into practice, whereas the other group didn't.

This true life example took place in a very large SDA congregation. Membership of 500. Not one gesture was made.
Were there 500 goats in this congregation?  Where was the one sheep that understood his words?

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

Yes, that doesn't look very good for them.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »

Yes, that doesn't look very good for them.

But most knew and could recite ...Both called Jesus Lord (Matthew 25:37 and 44)

When do we stop knowing and begin doing?

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »

This doesn't seem to be a problem with any specific local church, but seems to be widespread, therefore, a wake-up call is needed.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 02:44:59 PM »

This doesn't seem to be a problem with any specific local church, but seems to be widespread, therefore, a wake-up call is needed.

No, it is not the problem of a specific  local church. It is widespread.
Wake up calls are usually dismissed rather quickly. Met with the willful arrogance of knowing the words. Arrogance leads to willful ignorance . Ignorance colors one's perception

Lil Star

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »

Whoa!  This type of thing can actually be talked about, discussed in an adult manner and no one comes in and makes it a personal thing?  I am very pleased with this site.

I follow, don't try to post as I have gotten a bit headshy when it comes to that these days. Will continue my lurking on a christian site. I am beginning to think I have come to the right forum for me. To help in my search for the Lord of all Lords.  :TY:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

Fair Havens

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »

And there's the rub. We probably have all the knowingthat we need as xtians. It is in the practise that we fail. Our unwillingness to do what we know we ought, for whatever justifications that we can reasonably cook up.

We know with righteous certainty what the other person should have done but if we had to face the same situation given the same set of circumstances would we have done differently?

I think that when we begin to observe the little things that we might ignore as unimportant even though a tiny voice in our heads tell us 'that ain't right' or 'you should do this' and the Spirit begins to increase our power to do the right thing every time (yea,I know that's a tall order) we will begin to experience the change that Bonnie's original question expect to see in us.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

This true life example took place in a very large SDA congregation. Membership of 500. Not one gesture was made.
Were there 500 goats in this congregation?  Where was the one sheep that understood his words?

Maybe, the problem lies in the numbers of people, where 'new people' just get lost? My family has felt very much like this in the large SDA Churches - felt that we could never break into the 'cliques', yet in smaller churches, we have always found warmth and friendsip.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »

Could this be why Ellen White advocated the splitting up of one local church after a certain number of members into two local churches?

Lil Star

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »

Maybe, the problem lies in the numbers of people, where 'new people' just get lost? My family has felt very much like this in the large SDA Churches - felt that we could never break into the 'cliques', yet in smaller churches, we have always found warmth and friendsip.

I have felt this way in so many churches I have attended. Except for one. It was Rockwood church in Oregon where I lived at the time. I do not remember why we stopped going to church as I was a young child. However, I will always remember the pastor who made everyone and I do mean everyone feel as though they were the only one there. At least that is how I felt and it is hard for me to fit into the 'cliques' in any atmosphere. I was blessed by this pastor and he was actually the one who baptized me when I was a young child. I just wish I had stayed in the faith and also that I had followed his footsteps in how he was as a person in general. I have now grown up, still remember him. Finally got into touch with him before I left the other forum thanks to a person from that forum. I did find some friends but very few. I thought it was more but as of late, I have found out different.  Hope this will be a friendship forum for me.

Sorry, now I'm off my soapbox.

(hint maybe we could get a soapbox for peeps like me?) :praying:
RIP mom

Jesus IS enough

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »

And there's the rub. We probably have all the knowingthat we need as xtians. It is in the practise that we fail. Our unwillingness to do what we know we ought, for whatever justifications that we can reasonably cook up.

We know with righteous certainty what the other person should have done but if we had to face the same situation given the same set of circumstances would we have done differently?

I think that when we begin to observe the little things that we might ignore as unimportant even though a tiny voice in our heads tell us 'that ain't right' or 'you should do this' and the Spirit begins to increase our power to do the right thing every time (yea,I know that's a tall order) we will begin to experience the change that Bonnie's original question expect to see in us.

Not part of the problem in this case

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up